Wireless More Me & Mic Setup (Theory)

papaslides

Wireless More Me & Mic Setup (Theory)

Post by papaslides »

Hey all,

I've been trying to work out the platonic ideal of a (reasonably) affordable, fully wireless setup for bar/wedding band gigs where all you are given when you show up is an XLR to the board and a poorly mixed floor wedge. I've tried a bunch of things that I'll describe at the bottom of this post, but I want to start with what I'm hoping will meet the minimum effective dose for my needs (and if anyone has used with any of the gear I list please let me know your experiences.

Next setup: ~$750
Samson AWXM Wireless (UHF) + CloudVocal EverSync Wireless IEM (5.8ghz)
The Samson AWXM seems to be the only moderately priced truly wireless microphone system (read: no belt pack) with decent sound and not 2.4ghz. The CloudVocal IEM seems to be the only wireless IEM that has a 2nd input and can be used as "more me" monitor. My plan is to run the Samson AWXM into the EverSync input 1, and take a line off of the floor wedges to input 2. The other thing that *might work out well from this setup is that the Samson AWXM receiver has USB power out and the EverSync IEM can be powered over USB-C, there's a decent chance the Samson puts out too little power and the EverSync can't push enough volume with this setup, but in theory that means both wireless mic and IEM's off a single 12v cable.

Not sure when I'm going to be able to purchase the gear and put it to the test, but on paper this one looks good

-------------------------

Previous setups: ~$250
Audio Technical PRO35 + Rolls PM55P
This setup is all wires. The microphone is clearly great for the application, but the venues I play in can't hear the difference. I will always have my PRO35 in my bag, but I am really looking for compact wireless setup. My Rolls PM55P sounds like garbage, I know these are known as the best road more me monitor rigs, so maybe I got a lemon, but it just sounds raggedy.

NUX B-6 Sax Mic (2.4ghz) + NUX B-7 Wireless IEM (5.8ghz) + Rolls PM55P: ~$300
This *should have been an awesome setup. All the gear looks good on paper and is incredibly easy to use. Setting up at a gig was a breeze and playing the gig was effortless. However... my Rolls box sounds bad... also the B-7 wireless IEM had a ton of signal noise which seems to be something a lot of people run into with the kit, and although people I knew in the audience said it sounded great, I always got nervous using the B-6 mic because (1) it is EQ'd for saxophone and (2) it's 2.4ghz and I knew I was one more wireless vocal mic or nearby wifi router away from having no mic myself...

-----------------------

If anyone has any experience with any of this gear sound off below. I realize the "right" answer here is to get better pro audio gear like a Shure or something. But I'm trying to get a sub $1000 setup that fits in my gig bag with as few cables as possible, so at least on some level I understand the compromises I'm making.
papaslides

Re: Wireless More Me & Mic Setup (Theory)

Post by papaslides »

The other question here is, has anyone ever tried to put a different microphone on the Samson AWX transmitter? It's a 3 pin mini xlr so in theory you could stick something else on there, has anyone tried?
JLivi

Re: Wireless More Me & Mic Setup (Theory)

Post by JLivi »

papaslides wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:34 am Previous setups: ~$250
Audio Technical PRO35 + Rolls PM55P
This setup is all wires. The microphone is clearly great for the application, but the venues I play in can't hear the difference. I will always have my PRO35 in my bag, but I am really looking for compact wireless setup. My Rolls PM55P sounds like garbage, I know these are known as the best road more me monitor rigs, so maybe I got a lemon, but it just sounds raggedy.
I have experience with this setup. Like you, I wasn't a huge fan of the Rolls Personal Amp either. I've had success with Behringer's version of the personal monitor amp. The Rolls seemed to break down pretty quickly, but the Behringer is solid. Like Behringer products there are probably better options out there, but you're going to get a quality product for a cheaper price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -amplifier

Also, to make things cleaner on stage, the crew purchased an accessory tray that clips on to the mic stand and that's where I velcro my personal monitor amp. That way it's around my belly button and I dont' have to go down to the floor to adjust levels.

Up until a few months ago I would plug a wired clip-on mic into the personal monitor amp. I recently have switched over to a wireless mic setup and can adjust my own volume in my ears. I'm on IEMs and use a P16 personal mixer to adjust levels. The trumpet player and I are on the same channel because there aren't enough channels for everyone to get their own. But there are other ways to manage your own IEM mix without a p16. If your sound board is digital you can use the app associated to it, logon to wifi and manage your in ear mix yourself on stage. I personally hate this option because then you have to be on stage looking at your phone.

If I was in your situation, and I just kind of was with searching for a clip-on mic setup that would work with my pedalboard, I wouldn't go for the cheap option. I would ride the wired setup until you can save enough money for that $1000 setup. Too often I've gone the cheap route with gear/electronics and I'm always messing around with it on stage.

I recently picked up the Shure SLX-D wireless mic system (~$800) and it's absolutely incredible. I bought the transmitter, receiver and beta 98h/c wireless mic. Full disclosure, I have a friend that works at Shure and I was able to get it at a significant discount.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)

Return to “Technology”