Brass Quintet music from American composers

hyperbolica

Brass Quintet music from American composers

Post by hyperbolica »

My quintet has been engaged to play a program on American Music. I guess this is wide open to include arrangements, legit and jazz-based styles, etc. but I want to build a list we can select from. At least some of the tunes we pick should be originals.

The big one I guess would be Ewazen. He's done enough quintet originals that we can have something to pick from. Arrangements of Copland should also be considered. We should probably pick a Sousa or King march. And maybe a medley of some folk tunes. And then Gershwin, Ellington, or show tunes...

Any suggestions on stuff you've performed would be useful.

Also, and I keep saying this. A topic on repertoire would be really useful. Without getting into the whole PDF file swapping morass, just to talk about rep. There's no good sub-forum for it here, and it's a constant question.
ghmerrill

Re: Brass Quintet music from American composers

Post by ghmerrill »

I've not performed any of his quintet stuff, but you might look at Harry Lockwood (also a trombonist). In addition he has a "Concerto for Brass Quintet and Orchestra." Just use a search engine and look for his stuff. I've only played one thing by him, and I believe it was his first composition for concert band (circa 1964/65). Harry and I were in band together in high school (and played in a little combo a few times): me, saxophone; him 1st trombone. Haven't seen him since, but every once in a while I like to look to see what he's done. :)

[Side note: Our high school band director at the time was tubist Bob LeBlanc, who went on to be professor of tuba and head of the performance division at Ohio State for a number of years.]
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

Many of the Luther Henderson arrangements done for Canadian Brass would fit. Kamen wrote a quintet for them, too.

In reverse alphabetical order, since I'm pulling them off the shelf that way:

"Ricochet" - Turner
"Morning Music" - Sampson
"Four Sketches" - Plog
"Fire Dance" - DiLorenzo
"Dance Suite" - Bernstein

Verne Reynolds wrote a couple of quintets.

What's the general feel of the audience for this? Would they be into capital-Q Quintet Music, or is this a more casual gig?
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

Also, look at the American Brass Quintet's database - they have a composer-by-country search.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There is an arrangement of Stephen Foster tunes (Stephen Foster Jazz Suite). I think Jack Gale.

I found a free arrangement of "Walking the Dog" (Copland? Gershwin? Can't remember).

There is an arrangement of "Porgy and Bess" (I think by Jack Gale).

There is an arrangement of "West Side Story" by Jack Gale.

Anything by Jack Gale is done by an American.

We used to have an arrangement of "They Didn't Believe Me" (don't remember whom by).

One piece we used to love was "Tribute to MGM" which had a bunch of tunes that could be played separately or as a complete suite. Nice trombone solo on "Over the Rainbow" and nice tuba solo on "Trolley Song".
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

Jack Gale reminded me of Empire Brass, which reminded me that MTT did a piece for Empire Brass called "Street Song". It was on that same album as "West Side Story".

I've never performed it, but there's another option.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:37 pm I found a free arrangement of "Walking the Dog" (Copland? Gershwin? Can't remember).
It's Gershwin of course. Wonderful little ditty! Never heard the brass 5tet arrangement.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

bitbckt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:23 pm Many of the Luther Henderson arrangements done for Canadian Brass would fit. Kamen wrote a quintet for them, too.

In reverse alphabetical order, since I'm pulling them off the shelf that way:

"Ricochet" - Turner
"Morning Music" - Sampson
"Four Sketches" - Plog
"Fire Dance" - DiLorenzo
"Dance Suite" - Bernstein

Verne Reynolds wrote a couple of quintets.

What's the general feel of the audience for this? Would they be into capital-Q Quintet Music, or is this a more casual gig?
Thanks, I recently bought some CB dixieland charts. That will be useful. The audience is a music appreciation club, so a lot of white hair, and I think some young school kids. So were trying to keep it educational.
bitbckt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:29 pm Also, look at the American Brass Quintet's database - they have a composer-by-country search.
Yeah, I just found that. Very helpful!
BGuttman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:37 pm There is an arrangement of Stephen Foster tunes (Stephen Foster Jazz Suite). I think Jack Gale.

I found a free arrangement of "Walking the Dog" (Copland? Gershwin? Can't remember).

There is an arrangement of "Porgy and Bess" (I think by Jack Gale).

There is an arrangement of "West Side Story" by Jack Gale.

Anything by Jack Gale is done by an American.

We used to have an arrangement of "They Didn't Believe Me" (don't remember whom by).

One piece we used to love was "Tribute to MGM" which had a bunch of tunes that could be played separately or as a complete suite. Nice trombone solo on "Over the Rainbow" and nice tuba solo on "Trolley Song".
I found some Bernstein/Gale stuff in my library. That would be really good. In fact, there's the tune called "America" in there that would fit perfectly. Trying to find some Copland. The Stephen Foster is one I've seen before and would be great for the folk music aspect.

We'll also do at least one march, probably National Emblem, since that's my favorite. We have an arrangement of Ashokan Farewell. Not to be confused with the Mandalorian, this is a civil war thing that Ken Burns has made popular. It's somber and morose, but it's also kind of touching in a meat cabinet sort of way. I'm sure it will be a big hit with this kind of crowd.

It turns out there was an Emerson, Lake & Palmer version of Copland's Hoe Down that I snagged off of Musescore. I think we can make this work too. We want to hit a range of styles, and this checks that box that no one thought to ask for.

Thanks all!
KWL

Post by KWL »

William Presser’s Third Brass Quintet (1974) is very accessible. I can loan you a copy to read through if you like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Presser
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I always think of Charles Ives as discordant and inaccessible, but this is a classic to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

Ingolf Dahl, John Cheetham, Scott Joplin, (Fats Waller et al),

Lew Pollack "That's a'Plenty" for a finale.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

KWL wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:28 pm William Presser’s Third Brass Quintet (1974) is very accessible. I can loan you a copy to read through if you like.

That would be nice. We're auditioning a lot of music, and "kissing some frogs", so we're not really afraid of anything at this point. You can use my email attached to the forum. Thx again.
KWL

Post by KWL »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:48 am
KWL wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:28 pm William Presser’s Third Brass Quintet (1974) is very accessible. I can loan you a copy to read through if you like.

That would be nice. We're auditioning a lot of music, and "kissing some frogs", so we're not really afraid of anything at this point. You can use my email attached to the forum. Thx again.
I’ll have it for you Wednesday. I have picked up a few more American composer quintets from my brother-in-law’s estate that you may want to look at.

Ken
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Cool, thx. Forgot that was you.

Return to “Performance”