Getting started with wriggle cut engraving on bells - question on sharpening

ryebrye

Getting started with wriggle cut engraving on bells - question on sharpening

Post by ryebrye »

I've found a few examples on here and on the web of videos describing the technique

such as:
https://www.youtube.com/live/2UBlVvGsh9 ... UGEIZzebrq

or M&W logo:

Or some videos of Sherry Huntley doing some great work before she retired:

There's a big engraving forum on the web (engravers cafe) but the focus of most engravers is on doing intricate engravings on guns or jewlery. They tend to use use power gravers to do a lot of their work and don't do a lot of wriggle cut (wriggle cut is considered rather primitive compared to what they put out)

I see you can buy straight gravers from places like Contenti:

https://contenti.com/engraving-tools/gr ... el-gravers

and the general advice is to practice on inexpensive bells that you won't cry about destroying if you slip... The biggest risk being that you poke through the entire bell and make a hole in it (ruining the bell) or that you slip and cut yourself (ouch) or that you slip and mar the bell in a way that it looks bad.

It seems like with careful planning and with a lot of slow work, you might be able to do something decent enough (don't expect to be Sherry Huntley overnight!).

Getting a set of flat gravers of different sizes, along with some handles seems doable for under a hundred bucks. Line gravers are a bit more expensive, about twenty-five bucks each.

I don't know about the sharpening system for them, though. The engraver's cafe forum doesn't focus much on wriggle cut or brass instrument engraving, so I don't know if the recommendation for sharpening systems there is overkill for wriggle cut.

So my question is: For those who have done some bell engraving, have you found a good sharpening system for your gravers? Any other advice on how to get started beyond just "take it slow, and practice on stuff you don't care about"?
hornbuilder

Re: Getting started with wriggle cut engraving on bells - question on sharpening

Post by hornbuilder »

Okay, you're in for a ride...

Specifically talking about sharpening, I initially used a Crocker type engraver (picture attached). It works really well, but, involves having to stop working, mounting the graver in the tool, do the sharpening (which can take some time!) Remove the graver, remove burrs, and return to engraving. Depending on the quality of the gravers you have, you may need to sharpen several times per session.

There are motorized sharpeners available, which would be really smick, but, they're also Rather pricey. I modified the idea by using a cheap bench grinder, with the grinding wheels removed. I bought a backing wheel, and diamond grinding discs. Also milled an aluminum block to be able to hold the tool against the wheel at the requisite 45⁰ angle. This is considerably quicker and less hassle than the Crocker tool.

As far as suggestions for the next step, all I can offer is practice, practice, practice. Buy some sheet brass or copper, and go to town. Of course attending one of the courses done by Ryan Walker would be great to help get over the initial hurdles of figuring stuff out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
hornbuilder

Re: Getting started with wriggle cut engraving on bells - question on sharpening

Post by hornbuilder »

PS
I have certainly had slips when engraving. Keeping ng the cutting edge sharp and clean helps with that! I have never pierced a bell (yet!) But it is certainly common to see the engraving pattern visible on the inside of the bell, due to the pressure involved.
Matthew Walker
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

And the backing plate for the bench grinder, and diamond disc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Walker
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

Great! Thanks for the advice and info. I don't have a way to mill aluminum, but I have access to a 3d printer I could use to get something to keep a 45° angle - the aluminum doesn't touch the grinder at all, it is just a wedge to act as an angle guide?
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Yes. You could certainly print something to do the same job.
Matthew Walker
afugate

Post by afugate »

hornbuilder wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:54 pm PS
I have certainly had slips when engraving. Keeping ng the cutting edge sharp and clean helps with that! I have never pierced a bell (yet!) But it is certainly common to see the engraving pattern visible on the inside of the bell, due to the pressure involved.
Would it help/hinder to have a mandrel inside the bell while engraving?
--Andy in OKC
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Maneuvering a bell to engrave it is hard enough without a really heavy mandrel inside it.
Matthew Walker
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I used to put the bell on a sand bag mounted on a lazy Susan.

Return to “Modification & Repair”