Best mouthpiece for Yamaha 891z

chouston3

Best mouthpiece for Yamaha 891z

Post by chouston3 »

I currently play on a Wedge 98C on my Olds Super. Should I consider going larger on a .508 bore trombone?
BGuttman

Re: Best mouthpiece for Yamaha 891z

Post by BGuttman »

Only if you want to. No problem playing a 0.508" bore trombone with a Wedge 98C (about equivalent in size to a Bach 11C, I believe).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

A .508 horn is a very versatile instrument in that it usually works well with both smaller (7c, 11c etc) and larger (6.5AL, 5GS etc) mouthpieces. I like using 11c sized pieces for lead and power horn section playing, and 6.5 sized pieces for all round playing. If I could pick one mouthpiece that is right in the goldilocks zone on a .508 horn it’s a Bach 6.5A, I have a MV version that works really well. See if you can get your hands on a few different sizes to try out!
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

I live in the 6-3/4 to 7 space but it really depends on a lot of things, including your face. I've ended up on a Marcinkiewicz 7G-S (for now) but this is too odd, and specific, and expensive to recommend generally.

Definitely borrow a 6-1/2 sized mouthpiece to compare - it's an important enough reference point to justify buying something cheap like the Faxx, imo - but keep in mind that for many of us 6-1/2 etc. ends up being a bit too much for what we are trying to get away with! Bigger is better, until it isn't.

And ... you won't really know until you commit to a new 'piece for a run of rehearsals and performances. And then you still won't know, because everything changes over time! There isn't a right answer here.

:cool:
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I’ve got a Wycliffe Master made by Pickett Mouthpieces that’s the mouthpiece Wycliffe Gordon uses with his leadpipe in the 891. If you like larger rims (maybe a touch under a 5G), it’s really excellent. I also played a Yamaha Nils Landgren on the 891 that worked well, but not as well as the Wycliffe.
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

I have stuck with the Wedge mouthpiece for now. I tried a Bach 7c and the Yamaha 45c2 that came with it.

The Bach is fine but a bit brighter than the Wedge.

The yamaha did not work for me. It felt too small and I couldn't get a focused sound on it.

I am tempted to try the Wycliffe Master. I use the NY Pipe in the 891z and that might work better with it than what I use now.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

891 is not picky at all.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I use a Bach 5 equivalent mouthpiece on my .508 small bore. Works for me. Play what works for you, even if out of the box.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Andy Martin, who helped design it, and who still plays it most of the time, uses a Kanstul CL 45 which is not very different than your 98C. I'd put the CL 45 as having the same diameter and depth as a 98C.

Every player is different, but the point it the 98C will work just fine.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

If you want to have something close to Andy Martin's CL45 contact me. The MST STUDIO M N or MSE N are what you might like. But as others stated there are plenty other pieces that can work here.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"

Return to “Mouthpieces”