Bach 5GO ?

chromebone

Bach 5GO ?

Post by chromebone »

I was just perusing the Bach website, and listed under the large shank mouthpieces is a “5GO”.
Does anybody know what this is? The Conn-Selmer website is worse than useless, and there is no description whatsoever about any of the specs of the individual mouthpieces.
tbonesullivan

Re: Bach 5GO ?

Post by tbonesullivan »

I see it too, but I have no idea what it is. There is no description in the last mouthpiece catalog / manual that Bach put out. They have the 5G, 5GL, 5GB, and 5GS listed, but no 5GO.

There is this, but I think the translation may be a bit garbled:
-This model was supervised by Takayuki Oda, a trombone player, the head of the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra. Based on Mr. Paulownia Oda's beloved mouthpiece for many years, it has been newly developed by Mr. and Bach engineers.
-The rim, cup and back bore are standard in appearance but completely original. Unique shape between V and U cups. This model is clear yet deep, and can be used for storing, orchestra, solo, etc
-Diameter: 25.3mm
-Cup depth: original. Slightly shallow than 5G (MD)
-Throat: G (6.63mm)
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

Thanks for that information! Is there any company worse than Conn-Selmer around at marketing their product? You’d think they’d be promoting a mouthpiece they designed with a player in a major job.
Their website is abysmal, they almost seem to know nothing about their own product or its history. They seem to have thrown in their lot with the marching arts, not that there’s anything wrong with marching/bugle corps, etc. and school horns. If a few pros play their horns, that’s just an added bonus.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

chromebone wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:50 am Thanks for that information! Is there any company worse than Conn-Selmer around at marketing their product? You’d think they’d be promoting a mouthpiece they designed with a player in a major job.
Their website is abysmal, they almost seem to know nothing about their own product or its history. They seem to have thrown in their lot with the marching arts, not that there’s anything wrong with marching/bugle corps, etc. and school horns. If a few pros play their horns, that’s just an added bonus.
They have never had a good website. EVER. The "stock" photos are horrible, especially the ones they used to have for Conn and King trombones, which all looked like they were coated with the orange UMI lacquer, but were really just over processed.

I did find a "better" translation regarding the mouthpiece, which seems to be entirely marketed in Japan. I can find quite a few good listings for it in Japanese.
Bach Trombone Mouthpiece 5GO [Model supervised by Hiroyuki Odagiri] Silver-plated finish (for large bore)

This model was supervised by Hiroyuki Odagiri, principal trombonist of the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra. Based on the mouthpiece that Mr. Odagiri has been using for many years, Mr. Odagiri and Bach engineers newly developed it.
Although the appearance is standard, the rim, cup and backbore are completely original. The cup has a unique shape between a V cup and a U cup. With a clear yet deep tone, this model is suitable for brass bands, orchestras, and solos.

-Diameter: 25.3mm
-Cup depth: original. Slightly shallower than 5G(MD).
-Throat: G (6.63mm)

――――

I based on the mouthpiece that I have been using for many years, I decided to create a new model with Bach's engineers, and the finished mouthpiece is this 5GO!

The appearance is Bach's standard form, but the rim, cup, and backbore are completely original. The rim diameter is about 5G, and the cup has a unique shape, somewhere between a V cup and a U cup. With a clear yet deep tone, this model can be used not only for brass bands and orchestras, but also for detailed solo phrases. It's comfortable to blow, yet has a Bach tone that resonates well, and it sounds well-balanced from high to low.
I hope you will like it as a new partner. Hiroyuki Odagiri

Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra Principal Trombone, Professor
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”