2B slide on 2BL bell?

Macbone1

2B slide on 2BL bell?

Post by Macbone1 »

I love my King 2BL (Jiggs model) but miss the way a regular 2B responds on the high Fs and especially high Es. Must be the dual bore slide.

Has anyone tried a 2B slide on a Jiggs bell? If so what was it like?
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
ithinknot

Re: 2B slide on 2BL bell?

Post by ithinknot »

Like a 2B... it's the same bell. Unless it's a Jiggs with short tuning, in which case that's the only difference. There may have been a time when Jiggs bells were a different gauge (I don't know that, I'm just suggesting that it's possible) but nowadays they're exactly the same parts.

I agree that those slots are better on the dual bore than the straight .491, though still not terrific. There's just something about 2Bs up there... from D up things get slightly loose and unlike the rest of the horn. I've tried to get used to it, and ...nope.

You might get what you want from your bell and using the lighter Jiggs outer slide on a dual inner.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Jiggs outer on a dual inner....l like that!
Now to get the parts.....
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

ithinknot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 am Like a 2B... it's the same bell. Unless it's a Jiggs with short tuning, in which case that's the only difference. There may have been a time when Jiggs bells were a different gauge (I don't know that, I'm just suggesting that it's possible) but nowadays they're exactly the same parts.

I agree that those slots are better on the dual bore than the straight .491, though still not terrific. There's just something about 2Bs up there... from D up things get slightly loose and unlike the rest of the horn. I've tried to get used to it, and ...nope.
My Jiggs has regular tuning. Going back to the earlier days of 2Bs I'm sure you would find the gauge of metal on the bell was heavier. Thanks for this good guidance. In your opinion, just curious, what is a brand and model that feels solid on those high notes? Can you only get there with boutique brands like Shires and Lawler and Rath?
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Macbone1 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:10 pm Jiggs outer on a dual inner....l like that!
Now to get the parts.....
How much lighter is the JIggs outer slide than the regular 2B outer slide?
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I don't have specs but it's noticeably lighter
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

JohnL wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:16 pm How much lighter is the JIggs outer slide than the regular 2B outer slide?
180 vs 210g, roughly... older 2Bs with soldered sleeves will be heavier still
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Macbone1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:59 pm In your opinion, just curious, what is a brand and model that feels solid on those high notes? Can you only get there with boutique brands like Shires and Lawler and Rath?
Nah, lots of older stuff works... though this is the sort of area where sample variation becomes clear, for any brand.

In general, small Bachs have always had those notes (there may be other issues lower down, and the feel isn't for everyone), Martins (and, I'm sure, the Lawlers based on them), Conn 24H and others, Williams must do - look who played/plays them...

Other Kings can be good up there too. Early ones, some 2B derivatives... I have a .508 factory custom made for Alan Kaplan with a modified 2B tuning slide and neckpipe, and Steinmeyer's red bell .500 (made for Urbie, but rejected) must be ok!

It's more a specific feel quirk about the stock 2B and Jiggs, IME. I'm not the only one... viewtopic.php?p=199131#p199131 (and Doug's post below that)

Return to “Instruments”