Down the Leadpipe rat hole

heldenbone

Down the Leadpipe rat hole

Post by heldenbone »

I want to share my recent experience disappearing down the leadpipe rat hole experimenting with what's available for my Getzen 1062 bass. First, I have to give Instrument Innovations their props for the bi-thread leadpipe adapter. It was only available in Conn-to-coarse/fine, so it was necessary to work the outer threads down a bit with a Dremel tool. The thread pitch is correct, but the outside diameter ia bit too large.

The 1062 comes with B1, B2, and B3 pipes from Getzen/Edwards, and many players find the #2 pipe sufficient for their needs. I started this exercise looking for abit more presence in the mid to upper register, and more ease in the double trigger notes. A mouthpiece move from Bach 2G, to Symington 2, to Rath B2 got me partway where I wanted to be.

The 3 pipes I went through were a GR Sterling from M/K (fine thread), a vintage Bach 50B from Kanstul (coarse thread), and a Minick Legit, also Kanstul (coarse thread).

The Bach vintage 50B was eliminated fairly quickly. I didn't seem to play to either my strengths or those of the instrument and mouthpiece. I produced a big dull noise that seemed nice behind the bell, but projected nowhere.

I played The GR pipe for several months. The color was bright and snappy. It spoke easily, even in the double trigger notes, and pedals poppedout easily. Hearing others play it convinced me the mid and upper range might be too bright. Trying a larger mouthpiece was problematic, as stability sufferred on the GR, already a shorter pipe than the others.

The pipe I tried, and what I'm playing at the moment, is the Kanstul replica of a Minick Legit. Before I could play it, I had to sand down the outside a bit. At its largest, it was 14.3mm, and my slide doesn't seem to like pipes larger than 14.2mm. Once that chore was finished, the pipe installed without trouble. The Minick pipe is (supposedly) similar to a Conn 70H of unknown vintage. In my 1062 it produced a sound with the desired presence without obnoxious brightness. The color is consistent up and down, and the pedal tones have a quality that sounds more related to the rest of the instrument's timbre than before and more balanced in volume than the GR pipe. The GR pedals could be a bit blatant if allowed. Double trigger range is... different. It was initially disappointing, but I seemed adjust after working the exercises for connecting the registers from "Ben's Basics," so there is more to find there. Interim verdict is encouraging.
Kbiggs

Re: Down the Leadpipe rat hole

Post by Kbiggs »

Leadpipe rat hole: like a mouthpiece safari, only different!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
dcslideman

Post by dcslideman »

heldenbone wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:50 am I want to share my recent experience disappearing down the leadpipe rat hole experimenting with what's available for my Getzen 1062 bass.

The pipe I tried, and what I'm playing at the moment, is the Kanstul replica of a Minick Legit. .
Thanks for sharing! I bought a 1062 that came with only the #3 pipe. It is in the shop, so I only dabbled a few times on it. While it is in the shop, I picked up a Minick Legit at a price I couldn't refuse. It is press-fit, so I think it is the replica that Horn Guys sold. You got me excited that it might work out well. Would love to hear any new insights if you have them.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

My pipe from Hornguys arrived with Shires threading. It fits an Instrument Innovations adapter coarse-in,fine-out collar with no trouuble. I fit a bi-thread to my 1062 as described above. My Minick Legit (marked L) is more like the Getzen / Edwards #2 than anything else, but more even top to bottom, and I like the timbre more in the middle of the horn.

If all you have is the #3 pipe, I think you will be pleased. For me it was not as foghorn-like as the 50B replica, but still far from the responsive, projecting ideal I wanted. Part of that might be the dual bore slide. I'd like to try the single bore slide standard on the 1052, but for now the pipe change (and my cut bell?) has me where I want to be.

Good luck. The good notes are in there, they might just need an invitation to come out and play. :hi:
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

A friend who didn't know any better lent me a pair of Edwards pipes to keep me entertained and out of trouble. Neither of us was certain what they were until Jesse from Edwards gave them a look. He said they were pre-Getzen Edwards (I think), both marked B2, (in black Sharpie), both appeared to be sterling silver, but one 3/4 inch or so longer than stock. The longer pipe ring was knurled like the shorter, but was missing the cuts identifying its size.

First the long one - very refined, narrow slots, extremely consistent sound up and down the instrument. But, miss the slot even a little, and the horn just says "no" and doesn't want to speak. It's wonderful for encouraging accuracy, but I'm not a precise enough player to use it.

The shorter pipe was delightful. Warm, creamy sound, slots were there but just enough forgiving. The forgiveness and warmth extended into the double trigger range. Easiest time there I've had without resorting to a bucket mouthpiece. Nice easy articulations, not slow, but not brittle either.

Pity, he wanted them back and is auditioning the shorter pipe himself. It was fun and educational.

Return to “Modification & Repair”