Piecing out parts for sale

Cwh1186

Piecing out parts for sale

Post by Cwh1186 »

How do you go about fairly pricing pieces of your horn? I know what my equipment is worth as far as total sticker price but each piece is a mystery to me.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Piecing out parts for sale

Post by Matt K »

Slides are around $600-1100 used
Bells are $350-$1000 used
F Valves are ~$900-1800
Tuning slides are $200-$450

Take what you think the total instrument is worth and put your parts into those bands based on relative condition. Some of those are pushing it in terms of high end, I almost never see pre-owned bells for $1000, for example, but some of the mroe popular ones do fetch a premium. F valves are almost never that low.
Gfunk

Re: Piecing out parts for sale

Post by Gfunk »

This is just my take, but usually I go somewhere between 50-75% of new cost. Condition plays a big part, good condition sits higher on that spectrum. Anything that knocks playability is a big price cutter. Usually cosmetic wear is often a variable decrease in price depending on the extent, but less important (to me) than playability, and less of a price decrease. I’ve watched here and Facebook market place much more than I’ve posted, so that also helps on gauging the general market price of things. There’s some outliers of course, but looking at what has sold before (the more recent the better) can be a big help.

New Shires bells are $1400 and I’ve seen people post like-new Shires bells for $1200, but I wouldn’t expect anything priced like that to move at all. Even one priced at $900 I think would sit a while unless someone was looking for that bell exactly (which does happen). But at $700 a few people might be interested, and even more so if it was cheaper. Price, to an extent, is related to long something may or may not sit on the market. But if you know it’s in good shape and are willing it sit, you can ride the high side of the price range. This is by no means predictive. It’s just what I’ve perceived to be the trend with parting out equipment. For me, changes in price more so change the *likelihood* someone might be interest in buying it, but there’s no guarantees with a high or low price. I think this is always the case, but even more so with semi-niche stuff as parts of an horn.

I’m sure some other people here will have some good thoughts.

Return to “Instruments”