Roll over Beethoven, there's a new King in town...

mikerspencer

Roll over Beethoven, there's a new King in town...

Post by mikerspencer »

New horn day post!

Quite a good story (I think). When I was a teenager I had a bass trombone. After I finished school I went to live in Vancouver (from Derby, England) and needed money for the flights. I was mainly a tenor player, so sold the bass trombone to a pal from school.

Roll forward 20+ years... I'm looking for a bass trombone because I'm covering that a bit more. Turns out there are not many (fun) options in a sensible price bracket (near Edinburgh), but I kept an eye out for many months. At the beginning of the year I message the school pal, we'd not been in touch since ~2004. Turns out he'd not played the horn in over a decade and was planning to sell it! So here I am, a quarter of a century later, reunited with my childhood sweetheart. Sorry, bass trombone.
DSCF0300-min.JPG
DSCF0301-min.JPG
DSCF0302-min.JPG
DSCF0303-min.JPG
DSCF0304-min.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posaunus

Re: Roll over Beethoven, there's a new King in town...

Post by Posaunus »

Long live the King!
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

When I was one year out of college, I bought a new Bach 42B with some extras. I was playing a King 4B (coincidentally), but no one around me played King trombones, and I needed/wanted a sound that fit in with everyone around me. I sold the King, took out a loan, worked for a few years, and started earning credit.

Fast forward about 15 years. I retooled with an Edwards 350-something-or-other. Needed to fit in with the Edwards and Shires that everyone else was playing. Sold my 42 to a friend on the condition she gives me first refusal when she sells it.

Fast forward another 15 years. My friend was selling my old 42 to purchase a different horn for herself. Sold the Edwards, and bought back my old 42. I’ve now owned the horn for the second time for about 10 years.

Isn’t it nice when old horns come home to roost?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
rudytbone

Post by rudytbone »

Congratulations. I'd love to do that with my Olds Recording R-20 (my first horn) that I sold to get a Conn 4H. I miss that horn - Red brass bell, octagonal slide.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

mikerspencer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:16 am New horn day post!

Quite a good story (I think). When I was a teenager I had a bass trombone. After I finished school I went to live in Vancouver (from Derby, England) and needed money for the flights. I was mainly a tenor player, so sold the bass trombone to a pal from school.

Roll forward 20+ years... I'm looking for a bass trombone because I'm covering that a bit more. Turns out there are not many (fun) options in a sensible price bracket (near Edinburgh), but I kept an eye out for many months. At the beginning of the year I message the school pal, we'd not been in touch since ~2004. Turns out he'd not played the horn in over a decade and was planning to sell it! So here I am, a quarter of a century later, reunited with my childhood sweetheart. Sorry, bass trombone.
Great find! Never give up on your dreams.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

All praise the King named Duo Gravis! Nice story and lovely horn!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

"It's good to be the King!"
mikerspencer

Post by mikerspencer »

Kbiggs wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:22 am Isn’t it nice when old horns come home to roost?
It really is. Best thing is: it still plays really well!

Return to “Instruments”