Large tenor mouthpiece

Rasputin

Large tenor mouthpiece

Post by Rasputin »

Is there such a thing a a large tenor mouthpiece, I have a 4 valve trombone and want to access the lower registers
BGuttman

Re: Large tenor mouthpiece

Post by BGuttman »

There are large shank mouthpieces in many sizes. There are medium (Euro) shank mouthpieces in not so many sizes.

I have played trigger notes on a King 3B-F with a 12C sized mouthpiece, so size is not a limiting factor.

A big problem with 4 valved non-compensating brass is that the fingerings for the lower register do not correspond to the comparable fingerings in the upper register; i.e. the 4th valve does not work like a French Horn.

Is your problem that your small shank mouthpiece doesn't fit your 4-valve trombone and a large shank mouthpiece doesn't go in at all? If so you need something called a Euro Shank. Wick calls these M shank mouthpieces

Is it that the 4-valve trombone needs a small shank mouthpiece and the response is kinda weak? If so you need a large small shank mouthpiece. Some nice larger size small shank mouthpieces include Bach 4C, 5GS; Schilke 51, 52; Wick 5BS, 4BS; Yamaha 51, 52.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Rasputin

Re: Large tenor mouthpiece

Post by Rasputin »

Thankyou. I'm not sure I asked the right question but you managed to answer it anyway.

It is "Is it that the 4-valve trombone needs a small shank mouthpiece and the response is kinda weak?"

I have the mouthpiece that it came with and a baritone mouthpiece that play ok in the top register but I am unable to get the lower register well

If I attach my sousaphone mouthpiece (via a plastic tube) the lower register is "great"

so I concluded that I need a bigger mouthpiece. I will look into the ones you suggested.

Quote:- A big problem with 4 valved non-compensating brass is that the fingerings for the lower register do not correspond to the comparable fingerings in the upper register; i.e. the 4th valve does not work like a French Horn.

It seems to work with mine just about as in tune as the rest of the instrument.

I go down from what I call C open, 2, 1+2, 1+3 or 4, 4+1, 4+1+2, 4+1+3, open, 2, 1+2 ...

Return to “Mouthpieces”