King 2B+ 2115

GordonT

King 2B+ 2115

Post by GordonT »

I am currently playing a Conn 12H Coprion small bore tenor trombone. I’ve come across a King 2B+ 2115 that seems interesting. I’ve been told it’s a large bore professional grade instrument. The serial number indicates a 1983-84 production year. Would anyone familiar with that model King 2B+ 2115 trombone be able to share your thoughts about it with me?
BGuttman

Re: King 2B+ 2115

Post by BGuttman »

You are currently playing a very small bore (0.485", 12.3 mm) instrument. The King 2B+ is only slightly larger at 0.500" (12.7 mm).

Most student instruments are also 0.500".

You can still use your current mouthpiece and probably will feel no difference.

The Conn 10H is basically your instrument in the 2115 bore size.

There are some subtleties in sound between King and Conn trombones, but both models you mention are fully professional.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Professional…yes…large bore, definitely not. As Bruce already mentioned, the 2115 will take a small shank mouthpiece like your other trombones. A large bore will take a large shank mouthpiece and is usually a .547 bore instrument like a King 4B, Bach 42, or Conn 8/88H.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

While the 12H and 2B+ are both professional small bore trombones, the 2B+ is a much more versatile, mainstream horn. The Coprion bell on the 12H makes it pretty different from most other trombones, and you don't really see them played in professional settings.

If you want a larger bore instrument for classical playing, that's a different can of worms.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

Owned and played a 12H in college for horn section stuff. Awesome horn, but the fully copper bells never really clicked with me. Hard to hear myself unless I played really loud, then it would light up. 2B+ is generally going to be a much more versatile instrument to grow with (it’s also a small bore). I also prefer straight small bore to dual, which is why the 2B+ appeals to me (this isn’t a knock against the 2B dual formula- a tried and true combo that has worked for nearly 100 years).

Would keep the 12H as a slightly smaller sonic option for certain gigs though!
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I own a King 2b+ 2115 (.500 bore 7.5" bell). I'm usually a 3b player, which is a little bigger (.508 bore with 8" bell). I definitely prefer the 3b for almost everything I do, but I can't seem to stop playing this 2b+. I've owned it now for 9 months and my favorite thing about the horn is how clean and precise everything is. Even the low Bb partial is clean, and the horn is easier to play in tune with horn sections than my 3b for whatever reason.

I play with a lot of air, and if I've been playing on my 3b for a while, which happens often, getting back to the 2b+ is a challenge. I will have a tendency to over blow and I need to rein it in (in fact this happened tonight). But once I gain control I fall in love all over again.

I can't speak on how it'll compare to the 12h though, but it sounds like you have had some other good comments comparing the horns to one another.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
GordonT

Post by GordonT »

Thank you all for your time and feedback. Your comments are very helpful.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

JLivi wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:10 pm I own a King 2b+ 2115 (.500 bore 7.5" bell). .......about the horn is how clean and precise everything is. Even the low Bb partial is clean, and the horn is easier to play in tune with horn sections than my 3b for whatever reason.
One of the most clean, precise players ever did a ton of work on a 2B+ during his hey-day in the Toronto recording studios....Ian McDougall (of Boss Brass fame, etc. in Canada).

Ian even had some input to the design of the horn. He'd been playing King 2B SilverSonics for the early part of his career, played the 2B+ in the '80's, then went to a silver-plated 2B for awhile before settling on a Yamaha 697Z, which he called the 'new 2B' at the time.

His 2B+ was something special. I got to play some notes on it, but then I didn't want to know about it.... it was too nice!.... too easy to play....just perfect..... (I was taking lessons from him, and had other things to worry about at the time. Hmm....maybe I should have gotten a 2B+ back then!)

Plus, a lot of top LA recording artists play/played a 2B+, and so did Dan Levine in NYC.

If it's good enough for these guys, it's a good enough horn for 'the rest of us'!
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

Didn't own the 2115 iteration, but owned a yellow bell 2b+ from 2006-2018. It was a good horn, but I really wanted the gold bell, but at the time, they told me I'd be waiting til 2008 to get it. Couldn't exactly wait that long so I got what I could. Liked it quite a bit. Had a chance to get a new 3BG and replaced it.
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band

Return to “Instruments”