Raven Chacon - For Jacqueline Wilson

Pictures, video, etc.
WilliamLang

Raven Chacon - For Jacqueline Wilson

Post by WilliamLang »

Just had a chance to record this while streaming in the University of Oklahoma's Sharpe Concert Hall tonight. It's a deeply personal piece that Raven Chacon, a good friend, and one of my favorite artists not just in music but also in thought, has graciously let me adapt from a piece for solo woodwind. It's been nice to dip back into my experimental roots.

As with almost all of my videos, I recorded using the front facing camera on my cell phone, and no additional mics or post-production work has been added.

I hope you enjoy Raven Chacon's For Jacquline Wilson
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
harrisonreed

Re: Raven Chacon - For Jacqueline Wilson

Post by harrisonreed »

I haven't heard that one before. Interesting use of overtones!

William, are you teaching at the University of Oklahoma now? I believe my brass quintet is performing there and working with the students at the end of the month. You should hang out with us if you're there! I'll confirm the school we're going to.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

I’m curious how this is notated, both as originally composed and as you’ve adapted it. Anything you could share to enlighten the novice?

Very interesting piece. Thanks for sharing!
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

Yep! I'm at the University of Oklahoma - it's been fantastic so far. If you're around we should hang for sure
harrisonreed wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:54 am I haven't heard that one before. Interesting use of overtones!

William, are you teaching at the University of Oklahoma now? I believe my brass quintet is performing there and working with the students at the end of the month. You should hang out with us if you're there! I'll confirm the school we're going to.
William Lang
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
www.williamlang.org
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

So this is from a book of solos by Raven Chacon entitled "For Zitkála-Šá" This particular version is a set of symbols that you interpret, than reorient the music 90 degrees counter-clockwise and interpret again.
bitbckt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:50 am I’m curious how this is notated, both as originally composed and as you’ve adapted it. Anything you could share to enlighten the novice?

Very interesting piece. Thanks for sharing!
William Lang
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
www.williamlang.org
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

Found it at the Smithsonian based on that hint. Neat.

Tangentially, I heard Raven Chacon’s music at the SF Electronic Music Festival. Maybe 10 years ago now? That’s the last (and only?) time I’ve heard his work prior to this. I’ll have to look out for more.
afugate

Post by afugate »

WilliamLang wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:47 pm Yep! I'm at the University of Oklahoma - it's been fantastic so far. If you're around we should hang for sure
harrisonreed wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:54 am I haven't heard that one before. Interesting use of overtones!

Harrison, I'd like to know as well. Would love to meet you in person and hear your quintet perform if my schedule permits.

Professor Lang's recent trombone studio concert was excellent! :good:

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Media”