Personal Embouchure Training Exercisers

markcornellreed

Personal Embouchure Training Exercisers

Post by markcornellreed »

Hi, does anyone have any experience of these? There seem to be a number of different ones on Amazon but a more expensive one made by Warburton. Any views/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Doug Elliott

Re: Personal Embouchure Training Exercisers

Post by Doug Elliott »

Warburton has the patent on those, the others are being sold illegally.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

According to Google patents, a related patent should expire in the 2030's but already is expired due to fee-related issues.

Screenshot_20240313_151242_Chrome.jpg

https://patents.google.com/patent/US979 ... +exerciser

*** edit -- this is actually a patent for a similar Device, that lapsed due to fee issues. The PETE is referenced in this patent though:

"There is also an unpatented embouchure strengthening device which is called the “PETE” Personal Embouchure Training Exerciser. This device provides no accommodation for teaching breathing techniques, and doesn't teach anti-biting techniques as taught by the incentive spirometer. "
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gfunk

Post by Gfunk »

Are we talking about the Warburton P.E.T.E? The incentive spirometer is a pretty different tool.

I have a metal Warburton PETE and have used it as needed for the past few years. I usually use it when life draws me away from the horn too much on any given day. I find it can supplement not getting enough face time a bit. I’ve also used it to help deal with a corner that I’ve struggled to keep as engaged as I want. It’s been massively helpful in that regard. Kinda like a heavier version of the pencil trick. The instructions it comes with are important to check out too.

I can’t speak to the knockoffs, but I remember looking at them and thinking that the quality didn’t look very good and I wasn’t confident it wouldn’t cut my lip or have the plating wear very quickly. Also, I’m pretty sure Hickeys has the Warburton ones cheaper than Amazon.

Return to “Accessories”