Shank replating

Nolankberk

Shank replating

Post by Nolankberk »

I have a bach 7c which I like a lot but the shank is worn down so it sits a bit far in the leadpipe giving it a fuzzy sound. Is it worth getting the shank replaced or should I just look for a new 7c that plays the same?

Thanks
MStarke

Re: Shank replating

Post by MStarke »

On the one hand you say you like it a lot, but it gives you a fuzzy sound which is sort of a contradiction in itself.
Maybe you like how it feels/responds BECAUSE it sits deeper in the leadpipe?

Assuming you like the current feel, you have the two options which both aren't optimal:
- You could keep it as is: It will feel nice, but the sound isn't perfect (to your ears)
- You could try to get the shank adapted. It MIGHT sound better to your ears, but will likely also feel different

In the end it's a gamble and you could come to the conclusion that this is actually not the right mouthpiece for you.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Greg can reshank it easy enough
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Does it play better if you wrap the shank with one thickness of plumbing Teflon tape? That would indicate the shank is somewhat worn.

New shanks are easy enough for a good tech to install, although there is no guarantee that it will have the same backbore. Then again, even a new Bach 7C may be a bit different.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Have it converted for Reeves Sleeves. Then you can have it sit as far in or out as you want, and the backbore won't change.
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

MStarke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:20 am On the one hand you say you like it a lot, but it gives you a fuzzy sound which is sort of a contradiction in itself.
Maybe you like how it feels/responds BECAUSE it sits deeper in the leadpipe?

Assuming you like the current feel, you have the two options which both aren't optimal:
- You could keep it as is: It will feel nice, but the sound isn't perfect (to your ears)
- You could try to get the shank adapted. It MIGHT sound better to your ears, but will likely also feel different

In the end it's a gamble and you could come to the conclusion that this is actually not the right mouthpiece for you.
I like the feel of it on my face mostly, the response has always been a bit out of whack
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:46 am Does it play better if you wrap the shank with one thickness of plumbing Teflon tape? That would indicate the shank is somewhat worn.

New shanks are easy enough for a good tech to install, although there is no guarantee that it will have the same backbore. Then again, even a new Bach 7C may be a bit different.
I'll have to try that when I get home, but by visuals alone it sits noticeably deeper than relatively new 11c
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I'd buy a new one. You can spend a lot of money fixing junk.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

FAXX makes an exact “copy” of the original Bach Mount Vernon proof set 7C at a competitive price. It should feel the same on your face and will fit correctly in your horn’s leadpipe. For example, Musician’s Friend, $47.99.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

Thanks guys. Looks like general consensus is buy a new one

Return to “Mouthpieces”