How long to wait post-surgery?

Spin your yarns here.
Fruitysloth

How long to wait post-surgery?

Post by Fruitysloth »

Hi all,

Last night I was admitted to the emergency room with appendicitis. I got my appendix removed two hours later, and now I’m sitting in a hospital bed with questions to ask and nothing to do. So. My doctor recommends a minimum 2 week downtime period, which is all fine and dandy, and I think I’ll push it closer to three weeks. What was your experience like in regards to this situation/situations like this? For reference, I’m 28 and the only other health condition I have is some obesity. Thanks in advance!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
Posaunus

Re: How long to wait post-surgery?

Post by Posaunus »

I went through this about 10 years ago. Take your time restarting. Those three weeks will disappear before you know it.
slideandtraps

Post by slideandtraps »

You have one less concern for extended space travel and remote expeditions in life!

Had that out when I was 19. Recovery passes quickly being mindful of staple stitches. Scar fades over years until difficult to see.

Productive time to learn a new mental skill or language or compose with MuseScore.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

My appendectomy recovery was not typical, as it was related to additional major surgery. My experience with recovery (and I've had more than a few surgeries) is to routinely triple the amount of time the doctor says everything will be OK.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
weyandt

Post by weyandt »

When I was 20/21, still in college, I had appendicitis the first week of classes one year and tried to jump back into things too fast and pushed myself to the brink. Ended up with TMJ/depression and left playing for a good part of 8 years. Take your time, listen to your body, marathon not a sprint, etc.

Hope you're having a good recovery!
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

slideandtraps wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:08 pm You have one less concern for extended space travel and remote expeditions in life!
I still have my appendix. Sometimes I worry about this ticking time bomb.

Return to “Tangents”