Shires Leadpipes: Medium Pipe in Large Slide

SteelDeRosa

Shires Leadpipes: Medium Pipe in Large Slide

Post by SteelDeRosa »

Odd Ball Question: Have any among you ever used a medium bore (525) leadpipe in a large bore (547) slide? If so, to what result?
Matt K
Verified

Re: Shires Leadpipes: Medium Pipe in Large Slide

Post by Matt K »

I accidentally did that a few weeks ago. It’s super unfocused. If you expanded the end, it might work but 547 pipes are the most common size so I would recommend just getting a 547 pipe
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would think that the big "step" and also the large gap around the leadpipe would cause some issues. The end would not be in contact with anything, so it might resonate on its own.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

It would probably leak very badly. Leadpipes are designed to seal at the distal end. I've never tested it (no reason to), but I doubt that the threads are airtight, and even if they are, you would have an air chamber all around the leadpipe and who knows what that would do.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

A better solution to try is that there have been a few lead pipes made for large bore tenor that take a small shank mouthpiece. I'm trying to remember who made then, was it Shires, or was it a German dual purpose tenor? Hopefully someone else knows.

Return to “Instruments”