William Martin Hughes 1948-2024

Discuss the people that make the music here.
KWL

William Martin Hughes 1948-2024

Post by KWL »

Martin Hughes, Professor Emeritus at Winthrop University, died Sunday, March 10th in Rock Hill, SC.

Martin earned his bachelor's degree at Virginia Commonwealth University, a master's at the University of Louisville and a PhD. at the University of Maryland. He was a member of the New Louisville Brass Quintet and performed with the Louisville Orchestra. Martin joined the Annapolis Brass Quintet for their 1977-1980 seasons (https://www.brassquintetforum.com/). He was professor of low brass and theory at Winthrop from 1987 until his retirement in 2017.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mingworm

Re: William Martin Hughes 1948-2024

Post by mingworm »

Dr. Hughes was a generous person and talented player. As I was good friends with his son, he was a bit of a low brass mentor since I started playing in 1995. He and his wife treated me like family at a time when my home life was not good, even taking me Norway for two weeks to study music. RIP Dr. Hughes.
jauman4

Re: William Martin Hughes 1948-2024

Post by jauman4 »

Dr. Hughes was also a great mentor to me as well. I was his graduate student from 1991-1992 while getting my MME. He was an excellent trombone and low brass instructor. He wrote one of my first letter of recommendations for my first teaching job in NC after I graduated in 1992. In 1990, he went out of his way to audition me while I was student teaching in NC. He helped me developed my technique in trombone playing as well. Thanks to him I was able to audition for the Langley Air Force Band (USAF ACC Heritage of American Band) in 1994. This was the same USAF band that he was in (Tactical Air Command Band) during the Vietnam war era. My first teacher, Dr. Harold McKinney and him became friends which is how I met him. Ironic that all 3 of us started at the same USAF band. Thanks to them both I had a 20 year playing career as a professional. I whole him a huge debt of gratitude and support. He will be missed by those of us he touched. RIP Dr. Hughes.

Return to “Musicians”