Calder Tone Halo initial review

Burgerbob

Calder Tone Halo initial review

Post by Burgerbob »

I bought one of these little guys a couple weeks ago. I've been trying it on some horns, with the real purpose of using it on the yamaha 830 I have to use at work currently. It's not a good instrument and I'm always looking for ways to make it better!

On horns that I already like, the tone halo doesn't seem to add a lot other than weight. I can feel the sound resonate off the sides of the bell less and that's about all. It's like adding a counterweight tk a horn that doesn't need it- things change but not in a necessarily positive way.

On horns that need some help (like this 830 and a friend's 448G), everything is improved. The bell doesn't waste energy vibrating on problem notes, the sound has more density, and on the 830 especially response is improved all over the instrument. I have been using it all the time at work; yesterday i let another band member use it for a set and the difference was dramatic on my end. The horn was markedly worse.

On the 448G, the sound difference was immediate; my friend reported feeling different feedback of course, but we heard a much more centered, less diffuse sound on the other side.

The weight balance change is not great. After all, it's like adding a screw ring to a bell. It's going to add weight way out in front and to the left.

Here's a super duper high equality photo of it on the work 830:

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
EriKon

Re: Calder Tone Halo initial review

Post by EriKon »

Very interesting. Seems like mostly everyone is happy with those at least on some horns. I thought about getting one for my Bach 36 where the bell could be dampened a bit especially with louder dynamics.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:50 pm The weight balance change is not great.
"Not great" as in disappointing, or as in subtle?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Adding the weight to the throat near the brace is better, Aidan. I can make you one of mine in blue to match your uniform.

Here is one on high quality. Great mid-word shot.... :? : :wink:
DSC_5774.jpg
On my 830 I had that area taped with weight and the spot where the bell usually is cut taped. Ugly as heck but it played better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

AtomicClock wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:03 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:50 pm The weight balance change is not great.
"Not great" as in disappointing, or as in subtle?
Sorry, I realized that wording was not clear. It's a bit of both; on something like a bass, it is obvious but not game changing. On a small horn it can make a big difference for the worse.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Received my Tone Halo yesterday and tried it on my 2B and medium bore pretzel bone.

Nice improvement on the 2B - high range slots better and low range sounds much fuller.

Not much difference on the f attachment monstrosity, but I do hear a clearer overall tone. As I rarely use the pretzel it's no big deal. VERY happy with the results on the 2B.

The Tone Halo gets the Big Daddy K Seal of Approval.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Where do you get this TONE HALO?
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Contact Calders Pips Grips on facebook.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

ssking2b wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:36 pm Where do you get this TONE HALO?
Contact via email at:
[email protected]
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Or message member Conn88Hagmann
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Accessories”