Rifling on Conn 3?

paysonmcc

Rifling on Conn 3?

Post by paysonmcc »

I was going through some mouthpieces for students to use and found a Conn 3 in the pile. I checked to see if it was clean enough to play and found something really cool in the throat of the mouthpiece: rifling! Has anyone seen this on any other mouthpieces?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghmerrill

Re: Rifling on Conn 3?

Post by ghmerrill »

Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Olofson

Post by Olofson »

Glenn Zottola mouthpieces hade riffled backbore. Some of us tried them in the 60s.
Yes that´s right JohnL, not riffled. stepped.
Last edited by Olofson on Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Best Brass also has mouthpieces like this.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

That's a really tight twist.
harrisonreed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 am Best Brass also has mouthpieces like this.
Are those cut in a spiral? It looks more like they're simple circumferential grooves.
Olofson wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:29 am Glenn Zottola mouthpieces hade riffled backbore. Some of us tried them in the 60s.
I thought Zottola used a stepped backbore. That's certainly what the patent says.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2798402A
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

At one time, I had a lot of the Elkhart Conn mouthpieces. I don’t remember “rifling” marks like that in any of those. Perhaps someone made some aftermarket modifications with a reamer or a drill bit?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I'm certain it was aftermarket. My Conn 3 has no rifling in the aperture (or anywhere else on the piece).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

That really looks like a failed attempt at reaming out the throat. Maybe they used a cylindrical file?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:29 pm At one time, I had a lot of the Elkhart Conn mouthpieces. I don’t remember “rifling” marks like that in any of those. Perhaps someone made some aftermarket modifications with a reamer or a drill bit?
I'm thinking maybe a tap?
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Off topic a bit, but a tap and die set can be useful.

I just helped assemble a handicapped ramp for a neighbor who'd had surgery. It's an assortment of pieces to be used temporarily so gets moved fairly often. The crew ran a tap down every threaded hole and a die across every threaded piece before assembling. That avoided a lot of frustration over munged up or just dirty threads.
paysonmcc

Post by paysonmcc »

I was able to take a look at the throat in a little better light. The sliver plating is only missing in the throat, so it is definitely modified. To me it looks like the throat was first drilled out and then "tapped".

One thing that is hard to see from the picture is that the total length of these marks are about 0.5 inches long, and are very uniform. It really looks like an attempt to try a new modification, and not a slipped bit.

I'll plug it in my Bach 36 later and see how playable it is.

Return to “Mouthpieces”