Stolen Shires?

Leanit

Stolen Shires?

Post by Leanit »

Burgerbob

Re: Stolen Shires?

Post by Burgerbob »

I think this was noted on facebook a while back? I recognize the photos.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Gotta love how they put absolutely none of the specs in the listing. reeks of being a "hot" item, or one they purchased from a person of ill repute.

What kind of case is that anyway? It doesn't look like a $1000+ case to me.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Hmm.
"reasonable offers only... the case alone is 1000$+
no serial. no info. no set price. lmk
"

So the $200 case is $1,000.
And it's a Shires trombone with "no serial" and "no info" ?
Perhaps make a "reasonable" offer of $1,100 for both the case and the hot trombone?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The facebook posts about this were a few months ago- no owner noting a missing trombone was found, I don't think any conclusions were come to. I'm surprised it's still around.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Well, until recently (mid-teens or so?) Shires trombones didn't have serial numbers. Even now, only the neckpipe/valves have serials. No serial is definitely possible. No info is un-possible though. All of the components are marked: you just have to be able to decode that something like 5GLW means a T1 (Conn taper), one piece, soldered bead, lightweight gold brass bell. Or TW47G means wide .547 bore slide with gold brass tubes and nickel crook.
JKBone85

Post by JKBone85 »

Dennis wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:13 pm Well, until recently (mid-teens or so?) Shires trombones didn't have serial numbers. Even now, only the neckpipe/valves have serials. No serial is definitely possible. No info is un-possible though. All of the components are marked: you just have to be able to decode that something like 5GLW means a T1 (Conn taper), one piece, soldered bead, lightweight gold brass bell. Or TW47G means wide .547 bore slide with gold brass tubes and nickel crook.
This horn absolutely has a serial number, but the person selling it will not give out the serial number. That's usually a tell tale sign that the horn is hot.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Now why is it y'all are so set that the seller is trying to move a hot horn? Look on the bright side. Maybe the seller doesn't have a horn at all, just pictures they scraped from someone else's listing.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

JKBone85 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 am This horn absolutely has a serial number, but the person selling it will not give out the serial number. That's usually a tell tale sign that the horn is hot.
That's an important bit of omitted information.

Maybe the horn is hot, or maybe the ad is fraudulent. Either way, it's a tell-tale sign to stay away.
JKBone85

Post by JKBone85 »

Dennis wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:17 pm
JKBone85 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 am This horn absolutely has a serial number, but the person selling it will not give out the serial number. That's usually a tell tale sign that the horn is hot.
That's an important bit of omitted information.

Maybe the horn is hot, or maybe the ad is fraudulent. Either way, it's a tell-tale sign to stay away.
Absolutely. There's something fishy about it. No pictures of the horn assembled, photo's with the serial number avoided, and the first picture with the bell resting on the handslide in the case, is not a way a player would photograph or even rest the horn. The only info provided is the brand of the instrument and a claim that the case is worth over $1000? Sketchy for sure.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Devil’s Advocate: It could be a brother or father selling a horn for someone who went off to college or is on deployment who told his relative to sell it. Early Shires trombones may not have serial numbers. I have acquired stuff like that before. If I was in SF and needed a bass, I would meet somewhere and look it over. But I’m not in SF and I like my Duo-Gravis. Peas.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I live in SF and even I didn't look into this. I don't need a stolen horn.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
TheFilthOfFrank

Post by TheFilthOfFrank »

Dennis wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:13 pm Well, until recently (mid-teens or so?) Shires trombones didn't have serial numbers. Even now, only the neckpipe/valves have serials. No serial is definitely possible. No info is un-possible though. All of the components are marked: you just have to be able to decode that something like 5GLW means a T1 (Conn taper), one piece, soldered bead, lightweight gold brass bell. Or TW47G means wide .547 bore slide with gold brass tubes and nickel crook.
My shires bass valve section has a serial number in the 4-digit range dating it to 2003 per the shires rep I talked to. They definitely did serials back then.

Return to “Instruments”