Mouthpiece right size

jaywalker

Mouthpiece right size

Post by jaywalker »

I'm new to trombone (a former sax player learning a new instrument ).
I'm experimenting with mouthpieces.
I go it down to 24,7-25mm rim.
Currently on Curry 7S & 6M.
With 7S I can play 2 partials higher, with 6M the bottom is much more solid and smoother.
With 7S I feel like I'm "out of the mouthpiece" with 6M it's like a glove.
Should I stick with the 6M and work on the muscles to get the high tones, thus keeping the low?
Thanks
Kevbach33

Re: Mouthpiece right size

Post by Kevbach33 »

Welcome to trombone!

Curry's S cup is intended for lead playing, according to their site. The M cup seems to be more of an "all around" type.

Since you say the 6M fits your face better (like a glove, as you say) I'd say stick with that. It's a solid size (roughly a Bach 6½AL equivalent) for a new player, and will allow you access to all registers as you develop while keeping a solid low range (2nd and 3rd partials).

Do you have a lessons teacher yet?
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's not really about building muscles. If you're new, stick with a 6 and work on controlling the direction of the air and the embouchure aperture. With a teach', of course!
jaywalker

Post by jaywalker »

I do have a teacher and I watch a lot of online trombone teachers, testing their different approaches to see what clicks. This is my 6th instrument over 40 years.
Piano ( Conservatory/Composition ), Guitar (rock band), Drums ( polka band ), Fujara ( large upright wooden flute / folklore & jazz ), Sax ( ska ), Trombone ( future Electronica Lounge ).
I like to experiment a lot, I'm not in a rush and overall going for sound quality more than fast up and down. I enjoy long tones.
Any other suggestions are welcomed :)

PS. I'm scheduling a session with Doug Elliot to help with this as well.
King 3B
King 606
Bach Mercedes II
Curry 7S, 6M
jaywalker

Post by jaywalker »

To arrive where I am now, I got:
Bach 12c, 11c, 6 1/2AL, Getzen 12c, DW 6BS, 7CS, 10C, 10C Heritage, Curry 11C, 7S, 7C, 7M, 6M

:)
I know ... I'm a data engineer, can't help it, have to acquire the data myself ...
With each, I learned more and more about what I wanted and what not so much.
King 3B
King 606
Bach Mercedes II
Curry 7S, 6M
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

The Curry 6M is a very nice mouthpiece. I agree that sticking with a comfortable mouthpiece and working on getting the most out of it is the best approach. The additional partials will come with time and study. You don’t want to force them, and if you try to have a mouthpiece do the work for you, that mouthpiece will probably take away from a full, resonant sound in the lower register.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Great decision to schedule a lesson with Doug E, he will have you headed in the right direction, and you will learn a lot about how your embouchure works. Good luck!

What everyone else said - stick with the 6M if that feels comfortable. Personally, I've always found it easier to play a mouthpiece with a large rim. My low range is more secure and reliable, and I've been able to build my high range over time.
jaywalker

Post by jaywalker »

Thanks @Reedman1 & @JeffBone44 , after the call with Doug I'm back at the beginning... starting from scratch :) ... I will keep posting here my progress ... right now back to simple buzzing :)
King 3B
King 606
Bach Mercedes II
Curry 7S, 6M

Return to “Mouthpieces”