Straight Contra?

Sdoubler

Straight Contra?

Post by Sdoubler »

Has anyone ever seen a straight contra?

I'm playing a production of "Music Man" and I just noticed the graphic they have on posters is a double-slide straight horn.

Just an amusing marketing fail, or does it exist?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GabrielRice

Re: Straight Contra?

Post by GabrielRice »

Yes. I've played one. The Boston Symphony owns a Conn BBb contrabass trombone with no valve, which was rented for me for a concert a few years ago. It looked a lot like that picture.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

That looks like an Eb or Bb double slide horn. A BBb contra has a doubled over bell section as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yamaha made a straight contra in F for Doug Yeo. They show it at the end of this video:

Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

Good info guys!

Of course, I meant a straight contra with doubled slide.

Sounds like Gabe has played one! Gabe, was it actually a BBb, or Bb as Aidan suggested?
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

Either way, I doubt Harold Hill was selling it to Iowa band students!
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

If by "straight", you mean no valve, a lot of them have been made. A BBb or CC contra would usually have a loop in the bell section so as not to be ridiculously long. You can find some here: https://collections.ed.ac.uk/mimed/sear ... rombone%22

Conn made several double slide BBb contras without valve. I have built a couple of BBb contras myself.

I have seen pictures of Eb bass trombones with double slides. That's what the Music Man picture looks like, although I suspect it's just artwork and not an image of an actual existing trombone. But such things certainly exist. An Eb or F instrument would actually be a bass trombone, not a contra.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

Thanks Brad! So a double slide trombone with no valve and no extra bell loop is likely an Eb (or maybe F) bass trombone. Cool!

Now if only I could turn this to my advantage and have the theater pay me for an Eb bass trombone double...
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Actually there are also a couple of double slide straight F bass trombones in existence and I think available for rent: one is at Osmun Music built by Steve Shires when he worked there back in the late 80s or early 90s, and I believe Edwards made one too.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

brassmedic wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:49 pm I suspect it's just artwork and not an image of an actual existing trombone.
Imho, there's enough detail in that image that the artist must have been working from a real-life model.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I don't think it's a bass. Very reminiscent of the (DEG?) Jazzbone which was a tenor with a doubled over slide to make fast runs easier (after all, the positions are half distance). Big problem with such an instrument is that intonation is really a challenge. You have to hit those short positions pretty accurately.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:16 pm I don't think it's a bass. Very reminiscent of the (DEG?) Jazzbone which was a tenor with a doubled over slide to make fast runs easier (after all, the positions are half distance). Big problem with such an instrument is that intonation is really a challenge. You have to hit those short positions pretty accurately.
The proportions seem a bit off to me.

Here's an image of a Tromba Jazzbone:
tromba-jazzbone.jpg
and a DEG Quadro:
deg_quadro.jpeg
Notice how short the slides are in comparison to the bell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

Doug Yeo's gallery contains the contra Gabe mentioned, plus another Salvation Army contra. Other than the extra loop in the bell section, the proportions align well with the graphic.

https://www.yeodoug.com/home/text/trombone_gallery.html
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

I vote for a lower pitched instrument, just not lower than F or Eb. (Why would one build a G trombone with a double slide though...?) Such an instrument isn't necessarily a contrabass though; in the 1920s Conn listed a 72H (before the Bb/F 72H that we know) as a "#5 bore Eb bass with double slide."

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnTrbHFull.html

I wonder if this is a drawing of such a Conn.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
claf

Post by claf »

It is more likely an artist's view of what a trombone looks like.
An artist not knowing what a trombone looks like I mean.
Gaudet bass
Adams TB1 Open Flow dual bore tenor
Blessing .508 straight tenor
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Kevbach33 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:19 pm I vote for a lower pitched instrument, just not lower than F or Eb. (Why would one build a G trombone with a double slide though...?) Such an instrument isn't necessarily a contrabass though; in the 1920s Conn listed a 72H (before the Bb/F 72H that we know) as a "#5 bore Eb bass with double slide."
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

there was a Holton on ebay that we discussed.

viewtopic.php?p=109076#p109076
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:01 pm Yamaha made a straight contra in F for Doug Yeo. They show it at the end of this video:

That's a bass trombone in F, not a contrabass.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

The Miraphone BBb was available without a valve sometime ago..I have seen a cataloguewith a picture.Looks alot like the Conn pictured above.

Return to “Instruments”