For curiosity sake ...

musicofnote

For curiosity sake ...

Post by musicofnote »

Which hand-grip do y'all use if any and with which instruments?

I have a webpage that I should update, if I hear of any new ones.

https://5d832781b3df5.site123.me/trombone-braces

I've been using the Neotech for years now. Just got my Calderpips Grip that I need to work out - same problem for me as the old Sheridan: for me and my neuropathy-hands, difficult to bend to shape. And just for the fun of it, I mounted my old Rath on my Yamaha, just to refresh my memory as to why I didn't like it way back when.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
AtomicClock

Re: For curiosity sake ...

Post by AtomicClock »

Just out of curiosity, what configuration are you using for the 822G? You mention a number of times how nose-heavy it is, which makes me suspect you use it with the second valve removed. That's certainly what I feel with its precursor, the 622. It's curious that in the Ergobone review, you accounted for the balance with two counterweights. But in other reviews, you condemned the accessory without giving them that benefit.

I found that the Bullet Brace fit my 622 well, and solved all my problems. Of course, balance is still unacceptable with the D valve removed, so I just leave it installed. I presume your 822 has the same brace diameter.
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

AtomicClock wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 am Just out of curiosity, what configuration are you using for the 822G? You mention a number of times how nose-heavy it is, which makes me suspect you use it with the second valve removed. That's certainly what I feel with its precursor, the 622. It's curious that in the Ergobone review, you accounted for the balance with two counterweights. But in other reviews, you condemned the accessory without giving them that benefit.

I found that the Bullet Brace fit my 622 well, and solved all my problems. Of course, balance is still unacceptable with the D valve removed, so I just leave it installed. I presume your 822 has the same brace diameter.
Good question. I use the standard double paddles, with nothing removed. After stopping using the Ergobone I removed the counterweights. I didn't bother remounting them, because of the basic difficulty I was having getting them to work. I tried the Rath again this morning and had better success with the installation and adjusting. I had high hopes for it but found that I needed the index finger on the mouthpiece to stop a tilting tendency and it doesn't come close to the Neotech in terms of taking tension off the hand/wrist. It took me a LONG time to play with the Neotech, until I can now use it with absolutely no tension in the hand/wrist.

I've ordered a Leather Specialties "Hand Loop" to try out. I'm hoping it'll be sufficient to get me through a horn try-out session in two weeks.
Last edited by musicofnote on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

One drawback find with hand straps is that each tine you pick up the horn, it is slightly different. If you have to extensively tweak the handstrap, you'll have to start all over again in a few minutes.
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

musicofnote wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:34 pm Which hand-grip do y'all use if any and with which instruments?

I have a webpage that I should update, if I hear of any new ones.

https://5d832781b3df5.site123.me/trombone-braces

I've been using the Neotech for years now. Just got my Calderpips Grip that I need to work out - same problem for me as the old Sheridan: for me and my neuropathy-hands, difficult to bend to shape. And just for the fun of it, I mounted my old Rath on my Yamaha, just to refresh my memory as to why I didn't like it way back when.
I was glad to read your blog post a few years ago - it was a big help on my search. I've tried almost all of these braces (except Hagmann) and the Rath is the only one that works for me. (My left hand is a bit limited due to nerve damage from surgery.) I initially had the same complaint as you regarding pressure on the back of the hand with the Rath brace but I found a pretty simple solution that eliminated the problem for me. https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... 62#p233462

I used the ErgoBone for a few months several years ago when I had shoulder pain but fortunately I haven't needed it lately.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I use

leather specialties strap (3x)
built-in bullet brace (B&S style)
Neotech (2X)
Get A Grip (2X)
Rath brace (perhaps replaced by Pawel Wilk brace soon? On contra)
Ergobone... though neither my contra or bass work with it currently, oh well
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BEngland

Post by BEngland »

I am currently using:

Hagmann hand support Shires Bass
Custom Thein had support (it is like the ones made for their contra but made to work with other horns) 88H
Last edited by BEngland on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Leather Specialties (Branded as Osmun) for bass only.
john14u

Post by john14u »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 pm I use

Neotech (2X)
Get A Grip (2X)
where can you purchase a Pawel Wilk brace?
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I have the Shires brace on my bass.

It may be the best skull sweat I've seen in the last 10 years or so. It's similar to the Instrument Innovations Ax Handle, but it uses the finger-valve pivot post instead of a separate support clamp on the forward bell brace. It attaches with a 2 mm Allen screw, and Shires provides the Allen wrench for it.

And it's cheap...it comes with the Custom instruments and also fits the Q series basses.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

john14u wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm

Neotech (2X)
Get A Grip (2X)
From Pawel! Find him on Facebook.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

john14u wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm

Neotech (2X)
Get A Grip (2X)
https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... 28#p240328

Return to “Accessories”