Folding Stand Helper

Mamaposaune

Folding Stand Helper

Post by Mamaposaune »

Since I frequently need to travel with a folding stand, but get annoyed when my folder or loose music don't want to stay put, I made this cover out of thin plastic that can slip behind the music holder clips, and attached a wider piece across the bottom with white duct tape. Quick, easy and cheap, and it works great.
And yes, I do have several heavier folding stands for outdoor concerts but they're a pain to haul around if I don't really need them.
I call it my handy-dandy folder-holder!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AtomicClock

Re: Folding Stand Helper

Post by AtomicClock »

Can you fold up your stand with the bottom piece taped on? A Manhasset accessory shelf adds a lot of stability to a wire stand, and pops off for transport.

What plastic do you use? I do something similar with a piece of polycarbonate. Well, two pieces -- it's broken once (so far)!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I haven't had this problem for years since I started using my Desca Presto (folding plastic) music stand. Just a little heavier and bulkier than a wire stand, but soooo much more robust and convenient.

https://www.descamusic.com/product/pres ... c-stand-2/

Complete with roomy accessory shelf for lubricant, water spray bottle, pencil, tuner, glasses, mobile phone, mouthpiece, ...
Collapsed dimensions: 3.5” x 3.5” x 20” with a built-in carry handle. 3.5 pounds. Easy to carry! Use indoors or outdoors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

This is because the shelf is too shallow? A folded cardboard can extend the shelf, and the book will hold it securely by weight.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

AtomicClock wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:15 pm Can you fold up your stand with the bottom piece taped on? A Manhasset accessory shelf adds a lot of stability to a wire stand, and pops off for transport.

What plastic do you use? I do something similar with a piece of polycarbonate. Well, two pieces -- it's broken once (so far)!
The plastic I used was thin, about the thickness of a credit card, but a little more flexible. I had it in the house but I'm not sure what it was made for. The bottom piece does not attach to the stand, but folds so the entire thing is flat and I can stash it in my music folder.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Posaunus wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:38 pm I haven't had this problem for years since I started using my Desca Presto (folding plastic) music stand. Just a little heavier and bulkier than a wire stand, but soooo much more robust and convenient.

Complete with roomy accessory shelf for lubricant, water spray bottle, pencil, tuner, glasses, mobile phone, mouthpiece, ...
Collapsed dimensions: 3.5” x 3.5” x 20” with a built-in carry handle. 3.5 pounds. Easy to carry! Use indoors or outdoors.
These types of stands seem good on paper but the shelf/stand back is usually too tall. If you have to have the slide under the stand, then the music is up in front of your face. So you either have to play into the dirt or have your stand up blocking everything. That 3-4" is a lot.

Get rid of the storage area under the stand and it's probably perfect for me.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:43 am
Posaunus wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:38 pm I haven't had this problem for years since I started using my Desca Presto (folding plastic) music stand. Just a little heavier and bulkier than a wire stand, but soooo much more robust and convenient.
These types of stands seem good on paper but the shelf/stand back is usually too tall. If you have to have the slide under the stand, then the music is up in front of your face. So you either have to play into the dirt or have your stand up blocking everything. That 3-4" is a lot.

Get rid of the storage area under the stand and it's probably perfect for me.
Not really a problem for me - my slide goes to the left of the stand, so I tilt only a bit below horizontal.
I can see your point if you play with the slide beneath the stand.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, absolutely! I don't want to derail -- I prefer being off to the left too, but sometimes you're jammed in and don't have the room.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

With regard to the Desca, I don't like that model. On a windy day the music can be blown all over the place. I prefer a solid desk. There was an older Desca model that had the solid desk and it seems they discontinued it.

As to Mamaposaune's device, we had a set of cardboard versions made by Baileyman in one of my big bands. We had rather thick "books" of individual parts that worked great with them. We only played indoors so we didn't have to worry about wind.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

My out door plexiglass is 8-1/4 x 11 that fits in some of my cases. I use the plexi the same way.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:17 am With regard to the Desca, I don't like that model. On a windy day the music can be blown all over the place. I prefer a solid desk.
Desca stand is great indoors.
Lightweight, compact, convenient, easy to set up.
Fine outdoors on a not-too-windy day.
Any stand can be risky in a stiff breeze. :horror:
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

Posaunus wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:44 am Any stand can be risky in a stiff breeze. :horror:
I don't see it on their website now. But K&M used to make a folding stand where one of the legs had an extension which ran flat on the ground, so you could hold it down with your foot.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:17 am With regard to the Desca, I don't like that model. On a windy day the music can be blown all over the place. I prefer a solid desk. There was an older Desca model that had the solid desk and it seems they discontinued it.

As to Mamaposaune's device, we had a set of cardboard versions made by Baileyman in one of my big bands. We had rather thick "books" of individual parts that worked great with them. We only played indoors so we didn't have to worry about wind.
Outdoors the Desca is designed to be used with their Fholders. These have elastic straps that bind the stand to the desk, and there is a clear vinyl pocket with a matching upper clear vinyl cover. The vinyl holds the music in place.

Of course, a strong enough wind can blow the whole system over. But even in a moderate breeze it's quite stable.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Dennis wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:18 pmOf course, a strong enough wind can blow the whole system over. But even in a moderate breeze it's quite stable.
When the Santa Ana winds are blowing here in SoCal, even non-folding stands are not entirely safe. I've seen ballast bags and ballast slings for photo tripods and have frequently considered using something like that for windy outdoor gigs.

Return to “Accessories”