Slide lock too tight

Arendsdale

Slide lock too tight

Post by Arendsdale »

Hi all! Has anyone ever had an issue where the slide lock is too tight? The bar on the outer slide actually comes into contact with the inner slide housing when moving into first position and the slide lock ring is resistive to rotate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bach 42B w/Olsen Rotary Valve
1962 Olds Recording R-15
'58/'59 Olds Special
H.N. White “The King”
Elow

Re: Slide lock too tight

Post by Elow »

You need new bumpers
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

Elow wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:42 pm You need new bumpers
Bumpers like the cork at the very top of the inner slide?
1962 Olds Recording R-15
'58/'59 Olds Special
H.N. White “The King”
Elow

Post by Elow »

Yes
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Does the slide lock ring move freely when the slide is "out"?
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

JohnL wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:06 pm Does the slide lock ring move freely when the slide is "out"?
No, it's still tough to rotate. Not impossible by any means, just takes effort
1962 Olds Recording R-15
'58/'59 Olds Special
H.N. White “The King”
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Sounds like the ring might be bent too?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Arendsdale wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:57 am
JohnL wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:06 pm Does the slide lock ring move freely when the slide is "out"?
That might not be a bad thing, sometimes a lock that is too loose will buzz when you play.
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 am
Arendsdale wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:57 am
That might not be a bad thing, sometimes a lock that is too loose will buzz when you play.
Oh, Geez. Here we go again with buzzing. Now the slide -can- buzz. Next, my dog on the sofa while I'm practicing, will be required to buzz. Where does it stop?? And no, he's a Galgo Español, and don' do no stinkin' buzzin' neither.

( sarcasm mode OFF )
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

musicofnote wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:00 am

Oh, Geez. Here we go again with buzzing. Now the slide -can- buzz. Next, my dog on the sofa while I'm practicing, will be required to buzz. Where does it stop?? And no, he's a Galgo Español, and don' do no stinkin' buzzin' neither.

( sarcasm mode OFF )
Huh?
Lowbrassbrian

Post by Lowbrassbrian »

musicofnote wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:00 am

( sarcasm mode OFF )
I could be wrong but I believe he means like the slide lock itself will make a ringing/buzzing sound, not that he would buzz the slide, but maybe I am wrong :idk: . English is not my first language haha :lol:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

With the outer slide moved out of the picture, can you rotate the slide lock one full turn counterclockwise? Most slide locks don't work if the ring is turned on too tight.

If you have a slide lock that only turns 1/4 turn or so, you may need to have a Tech see if there is some kind of adjustment that can be made.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

BGuttman wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:59 am With the outer slide moved out of the picture, can you rotate the slide lock one full turn counterclockwise? Most slide locks don't work if the ring is turned on too tight.

If you have a slide lock that only turns 1/4 turn or so, you may need to have a Tech see if there is some kind of adjustment that can be made.
It only turns 1/4 of a rotation
1962 Olds Recording R-15
'58/'59 Olds Special
H.N. White “The King”
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It's a Recording, right? They only turn 1/4 turn.

Put some oil in there and get it loosened up. And take it to a tech to get the bumpers replaced and fitted correcty.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I have and have had a few horns that the slide lock pin was too tight when it engaged the outer slide lug. I was able to loosen the inner slide pin retainer one or two rotations and get normal engagement. If it seemed as if the inner slide pin retainer was rattling, I apply Vaseline to the threads when I perform weekly slide maintenance. The lug engagement interface on an Olds may be a slot. Olds may be unique.

The terminating repair can be accomplished by a technician by replacing the cork barrel bumpers and/or adjusting the lug location on the outer slide. Or correcting what ever out of specification condition that they find.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

musicofnote wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:00 am Next, my dog on the sofa while I'm practicing, will be required to buzz.
Most dogs will buzz with no encouragement. All of our dogs buzzed, but only in the bass to contrabass registers (Labrador retrievers, German Shepherds, but my son has a Standard Schnauzer that buzzes in the lower range as well, although I don't think he does contrabass). No sarcasm intended -- just the facts.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:22 am It's a Recording, right? They only turn 1/4 turn.

Put some oil in there and get it loosened up. And take it to a tech to get the bumpers replaced and fitted correcty.
Any oil you'd recommend?
1962 Olds Recording R-15
'58/'59 Olds Special
H.N. White “The King”
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

valve oil, or something thin to flush out whatever is making it sticky.
Or put it in the tub and use Dawn dish soap.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

ghmerrill wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:30 am
musicofnote wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:00 am Next, my dog on the sofa while I'm practicing, will be required to buzz.
Most dogs will buzz with no encouragement. All of our dogs buzzed, but only in the bass to contrabass registers (Labrador retrievers, German Shepherds, but my son has a Standard Schnauzer that buzzes in the lower range as well, although I don't think he does contrabass). No sarcasm intended -- just the facts.
See - you've never had a Galgo Español. He doesn't buzz and he doesn't sit. No sarcasm intended -- just the facts. I, OTOH, sit, but don't buzz. I had a girlfriend once who buzzed when she sat, but that was a different story.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Pull the outer slide off and look closely down at the lock ring as you move it back and forth. You may see that the barrel that it's rotating on has been distorted out of round a bit. On my Standard, I can see a small part of the edge that got dented/bent in just slightly, making it out of round. If that's the problem, cleaning and lubrication likely won't contribute much to a solution and you need to take it to a repair tech. I'm not doing that because the distortion on mine is minor, and I actually like the little bit of friction it imposes on the lock. :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Arendsdale wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:28 pmThe bar on the outer slide actually comes into contact with the inner slide housing when moving into first position and the slide lock ring is resistive to rotate
Seems like we've focused on the second half of this statement - that the slide lock ring is difficult to move. Let's look at the first part...

So what, exactly, is coming into contact with what? Is the ring on the upper end of the outer slide tube (as indicated in the image below) bumping against the slide lock pin?
ring.jpg
or is the slide lock lug on the outer slide (green arrow on image below) bumping into the slide lock ring (red arrow)?
ring2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

JohnL wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:10 pm
Arendsdale wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:28 pmThe bar on the outer slide actually comes into contact with the inner slide housing when moving into first position and the slide lock ring is resistive to rotate
Seems like we've focused on the second half of this statement - that the slide lock ring is difficult to move. Let's look at the first part...

So what, exactly, is coming into contact with what? Is the ring on the upper end of the outer slide tube (as indicated in the image below) bumping against the slide lock pin?
ring.jpg

or is the slide lock lug on the outer slide (green arrow on image below) bumping into the slide lock ring (red arrow)?
ring2.jpg
Great descriptions with arrows! The second image is what's happening. The lug on the outer slide is bumping into the slide lock ring
1962 Olds Recording R-15
'58/'59 Olds Special
H.N. White “The King”
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Arendsdale wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:21 pmGreat descriptions with arrows! The second image is what's happening. The lug on the outer slide is bumping into the slide lock ring
Yeah, there's something more going on that just a bumper issue. My best guess is that the slide lock was loose, so somebody tried to fix it by tweaking it a little out round and went too far. It could also be that the tubes are either not straight and/or parallel.

Are the slide lock ring and the inner slide tube concentric (i.e., the gap between them is the same all the way around?).

Return to “Instruments”