Best in-ear monitors for recording work?

tbdana

Best in-ear monitors for recording work?

Post by tbdana »

Hi! During the 30 years I took off playing there were a lot of advances in technology. I used to struggle with headphones making it hard to play on the horn side, so preferred one-ear headphones. Now that I'm back to playing and am doing a little recording work again, can anyone point me to the best headphones to use that don't interfere with the bell/neck pipe or fall off my head?

Obviously from the title I'm thinking in-ear monitors. What's the best choice for comfort, sound, versatility, and taking around to various studios? And are wireless the best choice?
ngrinder

Re: Best in-ear monitors for recording work?

Post by ngrinder »

Every studio I've worked in has Aviom-type personal mixers that are not compatible with wireless setups.

My favorite headphones are still the Sony MDRs - I know they've been around forever but I think they're quite comfortable on the ear, and have a really nice range. I use them with the bell side off my ear, or slightly off, and have never had a problem with them getting in the way of the horn. I keep a pair in my mute bag in case the studio doesn't have them or sticks me with something I don't like.

The IEMs I've used have been the mid level 500-Shures, which have worked great for me in live settings, or the KZ ZST monitors from China. I use those when I don't have to have a pristine mix, but I actually like the brass sound I get from them, and they're SO cheap, but don't isolate very well.

I think the premium choice would be JH customs - all the heavy pop folks I know use those and swear by them, but I haven't been able to justify the price.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I use Etymotic earbuds https://www.etymotic.com/
and usually put one in all the way and leave the other partway loose. They have a 1/8" plug, so carry a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor in case the mixer only has a 1/4" jack.
And the cord may not be long enough for some situations, so it's helpful to also carry an extension cord.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

I’ve had Bang and Olufsson headphones for many years. The are ear bud type but also hook over your ears.
Very comfortable and natural feeling, as you can put them in as much or little as you want.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I used Westone IEMs for a while. Similar to Doug I wore one all the way in and the other kind of loose.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

ngrinder wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:25 am Every studio I've worked in has Aviom-type personal mixers that are not compatible with wireless setups.

My favorite headphones are still the Sony MDRs - I know they've been around forever but I think they're quite comfortable on the ear, and have a really nice range. I use them with the bell side off my ear, or slightly off, and have never had a problem with them getting in the way of the horn. I keep a pair in my mute bag in case the studio doesn't have them or sticks me with something I don't like.

The IEMs I've used have been the mid level 500-Shures, which have worked great for me in live settings
I second pretty much all of this. A lot of studio will have some type of personal mixer, the one I've seen and used the most are the Behringer P16's.

I also love the Sony cans for studio work. I personally have Audio Technica monitors in my basement studio (should've bought the Sony MDR's), and I've also enjoyed using the Sennheiser HD 280's.

I've also owned a few pairs of Shure IEMs over the years, that I've used in different capacities. I use a pair of 215's (single driver) for around the house. And I started with 425's (double) for live situations and when those eventually broke I upgraded to the 535's (triple). I live very close to the Shure factory so pretty much a lot of people around me ride with Shure. It's really high quality and I know a couple people that work there so I'm able to some times get a discount :-)

I didn't think I would notice a difference between the IEMs, or I didn't think it would matter that much. Well one day I forgot my 535's in a different case and had to use my sound guy's backup 215's. It was incredible how bad that experience was for me.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)

Return to “Accessories”