Earliest trombone solos

LeTromboniste

Earliest trombone solos

Post by LeTromboniste »

I often get asked when the first solo piece for trombone was written. A lot of trombonists do not know about these and on modern trombone when we want to play baroque pieces, we tend to borrow cello or bassoon repertoire (Telemann, Marcello, Bach, etc), but here are the actual first two solo pieces that specifically call for the trombone. Often quoted as the first solo trombone piece is Giovanni Martino Cesare's La Hieronyma from his 1621 Musical Melodie. But one year earlier in 1620, we get a set of diminutions "alla bastarda" for violone or (bass) trombone on Orlando di Lasso's Susanne un jour in Francesco Rognoni's Selva de varii passaggi.

I would like to strongly encourage any trombonist to try out these pieces, and for teachers to start assigning them to their students. It is after all our very own repertoire!

Here's my own freshly-releases recording of the Rognoni:

And here is Matthijs van der Moolen's beautiful recording of the Cesare:
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
BGuttman

Re: Earliest trombone solos

Post by BGuttman »

Maximilien, the first video does not play on my computer. I get a flash of the title and then a "Video unavailable". Is it limited to EU?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Both videos played on my iPhone at 6:04 AM GMT.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Played for me this time. Very impressive playing on the Rognoni.

One thing: in very early music the assignment of parts was very fluid. I remember a Marini piece where he simply specifies something like "2 treble instruments and one bass instrument" so a solo was not limited to bassoon or cello (viola da gamba back then) but could be played by anybody.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

BGuttman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:45 am Played for me this time. Very impressive playing on the Rognoni.

One thing: in very early music the assignment of parts was very fluid. I remember a Marini piece where he simply specifies something like "2 treble instruments and one bass instrument" so a solo was not limited to bassoon or cello (viola da gamba back then) but could be played by anybody.
Exactly. Those were certainly not the first solo pieces to have been played by trombonists. There are earlier diminutions pieces that are perfectly well suited for trombone, and of course that's not counting diminutions pieces improvised by the players. Vocal solos started appearing from 1602 and could very well be played instrumentally. But those solo pieces by Rognoni (diminutions) and Cesare (composed) are the first that specifically indicate "Trombone" (although indeed also here as one of two or more options – "Violone" just means any large bass bowed string instrument). The Rognoni is particularly difficult and virtuosic, which shows that some trombonists of the time must have been very good, and one can only assume they must have played any number of less difficult solos before playing something that elaborate.
Maximilien Brisson
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

By the way, modern transcriptions of those two pieces are newly available for free on IMSLP.

Susana:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Susana_d%27Orlan ... Francesco)

La Hieronyma:
https://imslp.org/wiki/La_Hieronyma_(Ce ... i_Martino)
Maximilien Brisson
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Thank you, Maximillien! Beautiful engraving!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

LeTromboniste wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:18 pm By the way, modern transcriptions of those two pieces are newly available for free on IMSLP.

Susana:

La Hieronyma:
It looks like La Hieronyma was engraved by a viola player -- Who else would put a measure number on the first bar?

H
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

HowardW wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:04 pm
LeTromboniste wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:18 pm By the way, modern transcriptions of those two pieces are newly available for free on IMSLP.

Susana:

La Hieronyma:
It looks like La Hieronyma was engraved by a viola player -- Who else would put a measure number on the first bar?

H
That engraving is by one of our colleagues who is very much a trombonist. I didn't ask so I can't say what his reasoning was for putting a measure number on the first bar, but I suspect he might have wanted to make sure people don't assume the incipit is counted in the measure numbers (which is the case in way too many editions...)

The Susana edition is mine. Before someone remarks on that, the bars are wonky (starts with a half bar and has a couple bars that are 50% longer somewhere) because I wanted the barring to match that of the old London pro musica edition in case someone plays from my edition but the accompanist has the other, or vice versa.
Maximilien Brisson
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

LeTromboniste wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:12 pm incipit
Thanks. Now I can avoid looking ignorant by asking why those measures were repeated.
HornboneandVocals

Post by HornboneandVocals »

AtomicClock wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:41 pm
LeTromboniste wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:12 pm incipit
Thanks. Now I can avoid looking ignorant by asking why those measures were repeated.
I still don’t understand. Is it like an anacrusis?
“Is this jazz or are you in need of medical attention?”
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

HornboneandVocals wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:21 pm

No. Look at the transcription of La Hieronyma linked above. The difference should be self-explanatory.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

HornboneandVocals wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:21 pm

This incipit is not a part of the piece, it shows what the original notation was. In this case the only difference is the clef of the trombone part, but it would also make it clear if the edition was transposed, or if the note values were halved, for example.
Maximilien Brisson
elainechat

Post by elainechat »

Thanks for sharing those historical pieces and clarifying about the earliest soli for trombone. It's fascinating to learn about our instrument's origins. I can see why specifying trombone would have been important for the Rognoni in particular, given its virtuosic nature.

Return to “History of the Trombone”