Experiences with Amrein trombones

ttf_Sammytbone

Post by ttf_Sammytbone »

Hello to all,

please write me your experiences with the trombones of Manfred Amrein, Luebeck, Germany. I am interested in the complete range, from alto to bass.

Thanks and nice greetings

Heiko Image
ttf_Heinrich Voellmer

Post by ttf_Heinrich Voellmer »

Hello Heiko,

sorry I do not have experiance with the complete range of trombones from Amrein.
I only testplayed the 6i  Model once. Fantastic Instrument. Basically a Conn 6H copy but with .508 bore. Another one on my short list of horns I would buy if my horn corrodes away.
If you are looking into horns from small but excellent manufacturers do not leave out Kromat.  I played his CL 139 once and was totally impressed.
If I would play a 547 bore at all, this would be mine.
If you want more details just send me an e-mail and I will call you up.

Good Luck with your horn shopping an have a great time testing all these beauties.
Isn't that the best time a trombonist can have at all? I mean before all the practising starts on your new axe.

Greetings, Heinrich
ttf_josh roseman

Post by ttf_josh roseman »

Absolutely fantastic instruments, creative company.    I visited their showroom/factory in Lübeck a few years ago.  Highly recommended if you get the chance.  The horns all felt very consistent and were lots of fun to play.  I think they have a sweet sound.   Alfred Patterson and Ray Anderson both play .547 Amreins here in New York, their horns are extremely responsive.  I've played Al's horn, it's a gem-  and Ray does superhuman things with his.   They make some very interesting designs also- matte brushed & handpainted finishes, double bells, handmade wooden mutes, titanium mouthpieces, etc.    Check em out.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

Check out the trombone page on Amrein's web site.  What the heck is that double-belled beast in the photo?!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I was at the Music fair in Frankfurt this year, played on several trombones: Shires, Bach, Conn, Kuhn & Hoyer, Voigt Brass, Kromat, Throja ánd Amrein. For me it was clear ... Amrein!
ttf_marccromme

Post by ttf_marccromme »

I had the chance to try the Amrein bass bone for 20 minutes once, and it was very,very good. Definitely something I'd like to see more to!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I hope it's not too late to chime in on this thread.....

I've owned an Amrein for 9 years now. Schneider Modell 9e with .531 bore (13.5mm).  Brushed gold brass bell.  Gorgeous horn, easy to blow, heavy built horn, warm sound that speaks up when pushed.  I played lead on it with no problem.  Didn't have to go to the shop for repairs as often, as it withstood the rigors of "gig life" (flying, things knocked over on it. etc).  The laquer might be the only thing I'd consider an issue - tuning slide finish fading some and weld around the bell bead.  But those are the only parts that aren't in contact with skin that has issues.

Overall, built like a Mack truck, plays like a dream!  That's why I've gone from 4 horns to 1.....there was no reason to play the others anymore once I got the Amrein!

ttf_sfboner

Post by ttf_sfboner »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on Nov 03, 2005, 09:16PMCheck out the trombone page on Amrein's web site.  What the heck is that double-belled beast in the photo?!

I think it's roughly the same as what Elias Faingersh uses.

You can see it in action at around the 3 minute mark of this video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYHetLWhFps
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm an infrequent poster, a retired teacher and trombone player, with one son currently teaching HS music and tuba in Texas, and a son and daughter respectively student teaching (music, of course) in Boston and North Texas respectively (trumpet and voice, respectively).  I'm currently shopping for a bass trombone for my grandson, and wondered (unless it's a no no to ask) about pricing on the Amrein bass, which I can't seem to find anywhere.  Thanks.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm an infrequent poster, a retired teacher and trombone player, with one son currently teaching HS music and tuba in Texas, and a son and daughter respectively student teaching (music, of course) in Boston and North Texas respectively (trumpet and voice, respectively).  I'm currently shopping for a bass trombone for my grandson, and wondered (unless it's a no no to ask) about pricing on the Amrein bass, which I can't seem to find anywhere.  Thanks.

Return to “Instruments”