Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!

ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

I just flew Southwest and was able to put my horn in the overhead with no issues from anyone.  Image

I carried it in my NY Custom case...I figured I could gate check it if someone really had an issue.

I noticed that not too many people had the large roller carryons compared to other flights I have been on. Might be due to their 'bags fly free' policy.

Lets hope the return trip is as easy.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

I've found Southwest is usually no hassle. Especially if you're in the "A" group. Well worth the extra $10 for the new "early check in" option too. You are correct that their free bag policy lessens the overhead overcrowding.

FWIW, with most any airline, some common sense and common courtesy will often help get your horn on board. I've flown with my horn 5-10 times a year (round or multi-city trips) for 25+ years. Have only been "hassled" three times, all ended well. Other than flights on small jets and turbo-props have only had to gate check twice.

- Make sure you book a seat in an early boarding group (usually the rear of the plane) or in the "A" group on Southwest.

- Use a compact, sleek looking case like a Bonna, NY Custom, Accord, Eastman (tenor)or old Bach "French-style" case. The new Yamaha Xenos are good too. Make sure one dimension is under 12in so it'll fit in the overhead opening. Bulky/boxy cases "look" big even if their dimension is right.

- Carry it on your shoulder, along your side (makes it look smaller) and on the side opposite the gate attendant. Don't go out of your way to hide it, just look like it's normal and not a big deal.

- If "confronted" stay calm. Explain the situation in a rational manner. It's an instrument, it's expensive, it's your livelihood, it does fit in the overhead and it's never been a problem before. If needed appeal to a supervisor. (yelling doesn't help)

- If it must be gate checked ask it to be checked "like a stroller" and hand carried down and back upon landing. Don't "thru-check" it at the gate. It'll be returned with checked luggage if you do that. Most horns get damaged between the ticket counter and the plane or the plane and baggage claim. If you hand it to them at the plane and they hand it back at the door (like the strollers) you've removed 3/4ths of the risk.

Steve Ferguson has great tips on the Hornguys site for dealing with carry-on situations. Sam Burtis and others have also posted some great advice on this thread.
ttf_Ralph Sauer

Post by ttf_Ralph Sauer »

Teaser.
Wait until to you see the new case I'm working on for the Shires screwbell instruments--34 inches X 5.5 inches X 6.5 inches, 5 pounds empty, carbon fiber. It will fit a double valve, Thayer-valve bass or a single valve tenor. Looks like a viola case (sorry). It was dropped off a one story house roof with no damage except for a dent in the patio. Checkable through the baggage system, gate checkable, and carry-on size. I've been disappointed before with delivery times for actual finished products, so I can't say when it will be available. Hopefully by spring.
Happy Holidays everyone.
Ralph Sauer
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Hey Ralph, is that the one you had hen you visited us here in OKC?  Keep us posted!
ttf_Ralph Sauer

No, this is a totally new design. The one I've been using was made by Diversified Case Co. (The Tank) and is much bigger and heavier.
Stay tuned.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: Ralph Sauer on Dec 23, 2010, 06:04PMTeaser.
Wait until to you see the new case I'm working on for the Shires screwbell instruments--34 inches X 5.5 inches X 6.5 inches, 5 pounds empty, carbon fiber. It will fit a double valve, Thayer-valve bass or a single valve tenor. Looks like a viola case (sorry). It was dropped off a one story house roof with no damage except for a dent in the patio. Checkable through the baggage system, gate checkable, and carry-on size. I've been disappointed before with delivery times for actual finished products, so I can't say when it will be available. Hopefully by spring.
Happy Holidays everyone.
Ralph Sauer

I'm assuming that the bell would be in a separate small case?
ttf_Ralph Sauer

No, the bell flare will fit inside the case. No separate case required. It's magic!
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

I can see maybe an 8" bell, unless the dimensions you gave are internal in which case you might get to 8.5"...
ttf_Ralph Sauer

Hint--Think about what happens when you put the bell flare at an angle.
ttf_Ralph Sauer

I'm working on this project from a distance, so I think I was given a wrong dimension. After doing the math, the 6.5 inch dimension has to be closer to 10 inches. I'll find out in the next week or so and report back.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Ralph Sauer on Dec 24, 2010, 01:49PMHint--Think about what happens when you put the bell flare at an angle.

Image???

S.

P.S. Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Merry Christmas
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

does the angle of the bell cause back pressure which makes the checks swell like that? Image Image
ttf_johngsteel

Post by ttf_johngsteel »

Man, just looking at that makes me 'Dizzy'!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: sly fox on Dec 24, 2010, 04:36PMdoes the angle of the bell cause back pressure which makes the checks swell like that? Image Image

if the raised bell would make my "checks" swell, then i'm all about that. 

dg
ttf_donn

Post by ttf_donn »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Dec 23, 2010, 12:00PM- If it must be gate checked ask it to be checked "like a stroller" and hand carried down and back upon landing. Don't "thru-check" it at the gate. It'll be returned with checked luggage if you do that. Most horns get damaged between the ticket counter and the plane or the plane and baggage claim. If you hand it to them at the plane and they hand it back at the door (like the strollers) you've removed 3/4ths of the risk.

But it's important that it really get that hand carry - they don't have to carry it, the ladder has a chute.  At NY I'm pretty sure they threw my bari down the chute, rather than hand carry it.  And it fell off the chute, is about the only way to explain the wreckage.  I'd like to see the survival statistics on gate check vs. regular check.
ttf_johngsteel

Post by ttf_johngsteel »

A soft case such as my ProTeck will not protect the horn from the Ramp Rats...

It would need something more bullet proof.
ttf_sdjazz

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

Quote from: sabutin on Dec 24, 2010, 04:30PMImage???

S.

Merry Christmas

If they start selling those cheaply, my brother will has an excuse to play his trumpet into the ground. Image Image Image
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Quote from: johngsteel on Dec 31, 2010, 10:33PMA soft case such as my ProTeck will not protect the horn from the Ramp Rats...

It would need something more bullet proof.

i used something bullet proof.  a TANK.  got it back with the lid half open (?!?!?!) and 2 mouthpieces missing, leadpipes, lubes, etc... gone.  Horn was still in there, with a nice ding on the bell probably made by the baggage monkeys on the way out.  A nice hole about .38 cal size in the bell end of the case in the aluminum. 

BA did it.  Still ain't got nothing from them either.  That was this summer on a flight back from Europe.

Baggage monkeys will just look at a hard case like that as a challenge.
ttf_sdjazz

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

That's screwed up That's why I want to buy a soft case t carry-on my trigger, because my peashooters suck.
ttf_John Beers Jr.

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

Quote from: donn on Dec 31, 2010, 09:55PMBut it's important that it really get that hand carry - they don't have to carry it, the ladder has a chute.  At NY I'm pretty sure they threw my bari down the chute, rather than hand carry it.  And it fell off the chute, is about the only way to explain the wreckage.  I'd like to see the survival statistics on gate check vs. regular check.

Unfortunately, the statistics will probably look appealing at first glance. "93% success rate" or something similar. Then you think about what that actually means for a professional musician who depends on his or her incredibly expensive instrument (absolutely or at least when compared against income) to put food in their mouth... and can't help but feel horrified.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: sabutin on Dec 24, 2010, 04:30PMImage???

S.

I just realized how appropriate this picture is. I heard Dizzy came up with this idea after he checked his horn!   Image
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: John Beers Jr. on Jan 01, 2011, 10:16AMUnfortunately, the statistics will probably look appealing at first glance. "93% success rate" or something similar. Then you think about what that actually means for a professional musician who depends on his or her incredibly expensive instrument (absolutely or at least when compared against income) to put food in their mouth... and can't help but feel horrified.

That's why a gate check should be your last best option. Try every possible means to carry it on. If absolutely impossible this is the fall back option.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

For those of you on Facebook...check this out. Stop airlines putting musical instruments in the hold.

From Edward Solomon, A fine Brit trombonist. 8,657 members and counting. Join.

S.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: alclarke on Feb 24, 2008, 08:16PMI'm flying to the states with two horns and a bunch of mutes.
What is the best way to pack multiple mutes? (I don't have a mute bag.)

An easy way to transport mutes in an airline would be to throw them in a backpack then in the overhead. If a carry-on is not an option, then I would wrap them in some cardboard/foam stuff then wrap the clothes you're taking around them.
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

One should not ignore the power of social networking campaigns. It may be they are a new form of democracy! Australian airlines have also recently announced a new policy for carrying musical instruments in the overhead lockers:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/30/3103538.htm

Trombone players obviously failed to exert sufficient power in the campaign because the new rules say that the instrument should not exceed 81cm in length. The shortest hard case I have is 84cm. Possibly this rule requires a new design for trombone cases?  But I don't think that will work for hard cases because my slide is 80cm which does not allow for much protective material. Does anyone know if there is a gig bag of some kind which complies with the 81cm maximum. BTW, 81cm = 31.9 inches.
ttf_John Beers Jr.

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

Not quite suited to instruments on planes, but not worth starting a thread on mouthpieces.

I'm driving to Chicago this weekend, and flying back home on Wednesday. I want to bring my mouthpieces with me just to get in some buzzing, maybe hanging out with someone there, etc.

What's the likelihood that the airline will get annoyed by the heavy metal things that, combined with a sock, could prove to be quite hazardous in an enclosed space and keep them, examine them and forget to put them back into my suitcase, etcetcetc.

I'd prefer to do this entirely carry-on if possible, but if I'd have to check mouthpieces I might just bring some spares I have lying around instead of my main pieces.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I haven't traveled that much in the past year, but I have never had a problem with just a mouthpiece in carry on. I normally took 2 without issue.
ttf_FunkyBob

Post by ttf_FunkyBob »

TSA doesn't care. If you see them looking confused as your bag goes through x-ray, just a quick "that's my mouthpiece" will clear it up. I've been through many times with my mouthpiece and they've never had a problem other than figuring out what it is.
ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

I've never had any problems traveling with my mouthpiece, either.  Like FunkyBob said, I have occasionally noticed puzzled looks from the security folks when they see it on the scanner, but I've gotten to a point where I'll just go ahead and volunteer the information that I have a trombone mouthpiece in there. They seem to just take it in stride and if they're not too busy (usually at a small airport) they will even sometimes stop to talk music for a minute. 
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Hey all, I'm flying with our jazz band to NY next week. (We'll be playing with Steve Turre in Smoke sunday night, if you want to drop by.)

I have a BAM classic bass case. I've checked a horn before, a Duo Gravis, in the original case with a luggage strap and it somehow survived. However, I don't trust the BAM as much as that to survive or my horn with the airline. I was thinking about "sneaking" it onboard, and asking for a closet. There's no way the bell end would fit in an overhead unless we're on an A380...

Will I make it?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

If it doesn't fit in the overhead, you will likely have to check it. See if you can "gate-check" it.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

i have taken that bam bass case and fit it in the over head before but i wouldn't trust that case either i have had the case split open mid flight, its a good thing i know people at the airline so i sorted it out Qantas was very helpful, but the question i have now is can i get a tank case shipped to australia, i have a tour of the usa later this year then a tour of london finishing with a performance at the olympics opening ceremony and i need my king 1970's 4B to survive both flights because i dont have a backup instrument and i am a lead player.

Thanks zac
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Post by ttf_Richard Tadaki »

If memory serves me (an it's not so reliable anymore), Diversified is reorganizing and is not building cases at this time.  I suggest you look at the SKB 462 Universal Pro as an alternative.  I don't know if I'd want my horn thrown into the hold with that case but it would probably be safe in the overhead, or maybe even gate checked. 

Aloha,
Richard

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Another option, if you're flying cheap, is to buy another seat for it.  Image
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: DrOctagonapus on May 09, 2011, 04:36PMAnother option, if you're flying cheap, is to buy another seat for it.  Image

And then does the trombone sitting in the seat next to you get to claim an alto as a carry-on?

What happens at the gate?  You show up with a ticket for a non-human - do you get any static?

What happens if you get bumped and your trombone goes for a ride?   Image
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: DrOctagonapus on May 09, 2011, 04:36PMAnother option, if you're flying cheap, is to buy another seat for it.  Image

This used to be a trick of the trade with cellists. Unfortunately they have been having sporadic issues for several years now with the tickets for the instrument not being honored. Some airlines/flightcrews cite 'safety concerns' as the reason.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: SilverBone on May 09, 2011, 05:09PMAnd then does the trombone sitting in the seat next to you get to claim an alto as a carry-on?

What happens at the gate?  You show up with a ticket for a non-human - do you get any static?

What happens if you get bumped and your trombone goes for a ride?   Image

Haha, I guess.

Disguise it in a trenchcoat & hat.

Safety first... use your seatbelt.
ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on May 09, 2011, 05:26PM Some airlines/flightcrews cite 'safety concerns' as the reason.

Really, it seems that you could run the seatbelt through the handle on the case and maybe even around the case itself to minimize any hazards that might concern the flight crew.  I assume they're worried about the instrument being thrown around in turbulence or an accident.   Image
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Humbug. 

Safety concerns = they intentionally overbook flights so therefore need the extra seat space to keep from getting bitched at by bumped passengers.

The more I look at this issue the more I keep thinking that, if you want to get a horn on a plane, you're definitely going to have to be able to put it in the overhead, on any plane.  Otherwise you run the risk of an attendant using his dubious powers of observation and arbitrarily deciding whether or not it will fit, and his judgment becoming your reality.  In my mind there are two solutions: either A) a Chronkhite 2-piece case, or B) one of the new Shires/Sauer 2 piece bells.  I see no other way around it for a large tenor/bass. 

If you're not hell-bent on getting your axe on the plane, buy a tank and relax.  Your horn will travel safely.  Although, you might be asking yourself where it will be traveling safely.
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on May 09, 2011, 05:26PMThis used to be a trick of the trade with cellists. Unfortunately they have been having sporadic issues for several years now with the tickets for the instrument not being honored. Some airlines/flightcrews cite 'safety concerns' as the reason.

I had a friend recently fly to grad school auditions with his tuba using the second ticket he purchased. He had more issues with TSA than anything because his horn's bell was too large to go through the scanner.

I know that he had to (was able to) pre-board and I believe sat in a bulkhead seat. His tuba also needed to be next to the window.
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

I need some advice and opinions.  plans have changed at the last minute, almost, and if I am to have a trombone at ITF, I must transport it via Southwest Airlines.

I have two trombones to choose from.  One is my late 20s King model 1455 silvertone

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1548

in its non original case

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1554

or my newest acquistition, my 1938ish LA Super Olds

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1789

in its larger case.

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1796

I don't know the size of the overhead luggage bins on the planes I am flying and with the horror stories being listed about what could happen, I am very worried if I have to check a trombone.

My head says, leave the trombone at home, go to ITF and enjoy, but ---

any and all thoughts are welcomed.

investing in a "protective" case is not an option, due to time and the fact that I don't fly that often with a trombone.  in fact, this would be my first time and I would only use the trombone to show it and play with the lowest rank jazz choir I could find.

ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

Southwest only flies one size of plane so you can fit the horn in the overhead. The issue is that without a shoulder strap on the case hiding the instrument from the people at the gate is harder. However, last time I flew the flight attendants were very accommodating with my horn. Nice thing about SW is that since they don't charge for baggage everyone isn't bringing a carry-on so there is actually some room on the flight.
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

that helps with the question - is it possible to fit the trombone and case in the overhead

but still leaves me lacking advice on whether it is a smart thing to try

neither of these trombones are worth $$$$$ however, they are vintage trombones and the King Silvertone Model 1455 is the only one I have ever seen.

so is it worth it to risk harm to these just for vanity - here look what I'm lucky enough to have bought, I mean, (certainly not listen to how well I can play trombone)
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

As long as your case has a side that is 12in or less you should be OK on a 737. Also with Southwest, get in the "A" boarding group. Spend a couple extra bucks on their automatic early check in. If you're in the "A" group or early in the "B"s, there should still be plenty of room for your horn.
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Jun 17, 2011, 09:12PMAs long as your case has a side that is 12in or less you should be OK on a 737. Also with Southwest, get in the "A" boarding group. Spend a couple extra bucks on their automatic early check in. If you're in the "A" group or early in the "B"s, there should still be plenty of room for your horn.

just measured my two cases:

Olds case measurements
35 x 13 x 9= 57 linear inches

King case measurements
37 x 11 x 9 = 57 linear inches

http://www.ehow.com/how_6003907_calculate-linear-inches.html

QuoteLinear inches is a term invented by the airline industry to measure baggage. The size of an item in linear inches is the sum of the length plus the width plus the height of the item. A 20-by-20-by-5-inch suitcase, a 1-by-11-by-4-inch painting and a 1-by-1-by-43-inch fishing rod are all the same size in terms of linear inches. Size restrictions are different for different classes of tickets and for different airlines, but the one constant is that airlines measure baggage in linear inches.

Read more: How to Calculate Linear Inches | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6003907_calculate-linear-inches.html#ixzz1Pf8cuDko
SW says 54 linear inches

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html
QuoteCarryon Baggage
Per TSA regulations, carryon items are limited to one bag plus one small, personal item.
Personal-type items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops (case included).
Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches.
All Customers and Employees and their items are subject to a thorough, physical search.
The following items are not considered carryon bags or personal-type items and are not counted against the "one-bag plus one personal-type item" limit:
A child restraint device for a ticketed child with a reserved seat or when complimentary, available space exists.
Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices a Customer can bring onboard the aircraft.
Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.
Food for consumption during flight contained in disposable packaging.
Walking canes or umbrellas.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_10

QuoteMusical Instruments

If your instrument does not meet the sizing requirements for carryon items (10"x16"x24"), it will be handled as checked baggage provided you do not wish to purchase a seat for the instrument.
In the event you are traveling with a musical instrument that is larger than our sizing requirements for carryon luggage and is fragile in nature, you may purchase a seat for the instrument and carry it in the cabin under the following conditions:
The instrument must fit in the seat without blocking aircraft signage and be secured with a seatbelt.
The instrument must be placed in the first row and in a seat closer to the window than any other Customer in that row.
Reservations must be made and a ticket must be purchased at a charge no greater than the Child's Fare. Musical instruments cannot be transported in place of a free companion under any fare promotion.
Instruments that are transported in a soft-sided case or other packaging that is not strong enough to protect the instrument under normal baggage handling conditions will be conditionally accepted, which means that Southwest assumes no liability for any damage sustained to the item during transport.
so it looks like neither case would be ok?  can any one measure their cases which have been allowed to be carried on and list it so I can compare measurements?  The olds case looks much bigger to my eye than the king case.  are they going to hassle me over 3 linear inches, would that difference prevent the case from fitting??
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Don't worry about linear inches or anything 'official' on their site. Either of your cases should be fine due to having a side under 12in. (easy fit in the overhead) If I had gone by the 'official' dimensions or the famous 'size box' at the gate I'd have never been able to get my horn on. (and I've carried my bass on HUNDREDS of flights for almost 30yrs)

Relax, you'll be fine. Read Steve Ferguson's 'how to carry on a horn' at www.hornguys.com.

ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

thanks for all the help and advice.

had my mind all made up until:

wife brought us something I hadn't thought of.

was thinking that if they weren't going to let me carry on at KCI, I could give it to the kid to take home

she asked what if you get to carry on at KCI but not Nashville????

only option is gate check

how much protection would an old case give????

soooooooo -----

really want to bring silvertone again but is it worth the risk?

ttf_BMadsen

Post by ttf_BMadsen »

I've followed Doug Yeo's advice every time I've flown (I have a protec case), and on the few occasions they have had to gate check I've never had a problem:

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_text/travel.html

Take everything out of your case except the trombone itself. Be smart - if your instrument is checked and gets lost in transit, if you have your mouthpiece in a carry on bag, you can at least play a borrowed or rented instrument at your destination. Remove any screwdrivers, knives, valve oil, grease, etc from the case and put those items in a plastic bag in your suitcase. No matter how well you pack your horn, small items left in the case can move around and dent your horn. And the TSA will confiscate any sharp objects or hazardous materials found going through airport security as a carry on. Take them out of your case BEFORE you get to the airport.

Put a styrofoam cone in the trombone bell.

.... It was then that I came up with the idea to use a styrofoam cone. It will cost you about $1.00 at a local hobby or sewing shop - these kinds of cones get turned into small Christmas trees and other kinds of craft items. I cut the cone so when I put it snugly in the bell, it stuck out just enough that it touched the inside of the case. The cone was wrapped in a sock (I've improved on that by now having it in a piece of cloth which I've stitched snug around the cone - if you don't, eventually the cone will begin to fall apart and little bits of styrofoam will begin appearing in your case - a nuisance to clean up). The styrofoam cone succeeds where the mute and trombone stand failed for several reasons - first, it is soft and will not, itself, dent the horn under any circumstance. Also, when the case is thrown, the cone can compress slightly to absorb some of the impact of the jolt.
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

again, thanks for the assist and the advice <to you and to Doug>

ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

flew out of MCI (KC International)

late '20s king silvertone model 1455 made the flight with me.

no problems getting it onto flight, no one said a word.

no problem fitting it in the overhead, altho my heart dropped when they told us we had a "smaller" plane than usual.  I was #19 to board and went straight back until I found an overhead which had nothing else in it and put the case in lengthwise all the way to the back, had to leave the strap stretched out to so I could reach it.

just hoping I have the same luck on the way back to KCI.

Return to “Instruments”