Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!

ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

be very careful and be sure to read all of the airline's baggage policies very carefully, for an example, when I was investigating taking SW to Austin for the ITF, I found this:

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/musical_instruments.html

Musical Instruments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your musical instrument does not meet the sizing requirements for carryon items (10”x16”x24”), it will be handled as checked baggage provided you do not wish to purchase a seat for the instrument.
In the event you are traveling with a musical instrument that is larger than our sizing requirements for carryon luggage and is fragile in nature, you may purchase a seat for the instrument and carry it in the cabin under the following conditions:
The instrument must fit in the seat without blocking aircraft signage and be secured with a seatbelt.
The instrument must be placed in the first row and in a seat closer to the window than any other Customer in that row. Reservations must be made and a ticket must be purchased at a charge no greater than the Child’s Fare. Musical instruments cannot be transported in place of a free companion under any fare promotion.
Instruments that are transported in a soft-sided case or other packaging that is not strong enough to protect the instrument under normal baggage handling conditions will be conditionally accepted, which means that Southwest assumes no liability for any damage sustained to the item during transport.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet you could fight with the airlines over what  the "bolded" language means
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: sly fox on May 04, 2010, 06:42AM---snip---

I bet you could fight with the airlines over what  the "bolded" language means

Yeah, but...

Fighting with corporations is like fighting a horde of octopi. Every time you cut off a tentacle, dozens more appear. Ain't about, right or wrong, it's just about expense and trouble.

Best idea? Get the smallest, strongest case that you can buy and try to hustle the case onto the plane. Do whatever you must...get there early, chat up the gatekeepers, doubletalk, tapdance, evade,  conceal...whatever it takes. And then gatecheck it if all else fails.

Expense and trouble? That's the minimum.

Fight w/the airlines?

Endless. And bad odds, too. Bet on it.

Trick 'em instead.

S.
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

no disagreement here, but what do you do when all those attempts fail?

what is "gate check" any way?

what advantage does that get you?
ttf_Dan Martin

Post by ttf_Dan Martin »

When I flew back from Honolulu last year I brought a horn on board in a standard Conn case. When I got to the gate I did as was suggested in an earlier post, I chatted with the gate attendant and told her that I had my instrument with me and wanted to make sure I could put it in an overhead bin. She said it shouldn't be a problem. When they made the announcement that people with small children and special needs could board the plane first the bell in my head rang and I promptly went and got on the plane. As far as I was concerned I had a special need. I needed to make sure I could get space in an overhead bin. Sounded good to me. Since I only bring a backpack with me, and check my other gear I figured it should be cool. A French style case fits very nice along the back of the overhead compartment. I had zero problem from the air nuns.

So don't be bashful. And admit it, you have special needs!
ttf_John Beers Jr.

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

That raises an interesting point about "how not to **** off air nuns" that I've been giving a 'reckon.

For the sake of support and getting the horns onto the plane, things that are square like the king coffin cases and the Bach French Case (to larger degree than many other options) should work better than things that are more form-fitted, right? Just because it makes space easier to figure out and allocate?
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: sly fox on May 04, 2010, 07:26AMno disagreement here, but what do you do when all those attempts fail?

what is "gate check" any way?

what advantage does that get you?

Gatecheck:

You have brought the instrument through security yourself. It has been X-rayed (and possibly pawed over) by our ever-so-nice nice Homeboy Security people in your full sight. Most often even if they do get itchy paws, once they have decided that it is not a rocket launcher or whatever else their overheated, media-fueled imaginations might come up with you can re-pack it yourself correctly. Then you walk it down the entrance tunnel. If you're slick...I use a raincoat over the case which is itself over my shoulder on the opposite side of upcoming watchers, and also I try to walk fairly closely behind the biggest person I can find....you will get past all of the tunnel trolls and into the airplane. If you have been both smart and early, you will have booked a seat towards the rear of the plane, which means that you will be among the first people boarded and thus will have any number of possible overheads at your disposal. As long as it fits in an overhead the flight attendants don't really care if it's a little "oversized" by the book, most of them. They have other things on their minds, at least until the plane starts to get really full. If you are either late or get picked off by one of the trolls, they "gatecheck" it. That is, they bring it down to the luggage area by hand, give you a receipt for it and then bring it back up to you at the end of the flight. Usually...although this was not true once for me...they do not inspect it again. It has already been approved for going in the cabin, so why would they need to conduct the inspection again? Most damages to horns come when the downstairs luggage monkeys rip open a case, fondle the metal for a while and then replace it retrograde inverted-style. (Crunch!!!)

Plus...since the horn is last on and first off, it is less likely to be crushed under 15 feet of luggage mass.

Plus...since it is never piled on a some kind of teetering luggage carrier, it is less likely to fall off onto ther tarmac and get run over by a drug-fueled worker on overtime and steroids.

Plus...since it never goes into the luggage area in the basement of either airport, it is not likely to be mistaken for golf clubs or some other really valuable object other than a lowly trombone and thus be stolen.

Those advantages, mostly.

Why do you ask?  Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

S.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: John Beers Jr. on May 04, 2010, 07:58AMThat raises an interesting point about "how not to **** off air nuns" that I've been giving a 'reckon.

For the sake of support and getting the horns onto the plane, things that are square like the king coffin cases and the Bach French Case (to larger degree than many other options) should work better than things that are more form-fitted, right? Just because it makes space easier to figure out and allocate?

No.

Shape-fitted is better.

It's all about mass. Space taken. Not shape. I use the SKB Pro Universal Trombone Case.

A really funky-looking one that looks like it has gone through the Peloponnesian Wars. It not only looks like it is not worth stealing, it looks like maybe it would bite you if you tried.

Here is a picture of a box case.

More mass. Rectangular rather than form-fitted to some degree. Less room to stuff coats, blankets, pillows etc.

Yup.

S.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

One addendum to Sam's Gate Check definition..... this may or may not be a new thing but it was the first I'd heard of it on my recent "misadventure" I described above.

Due to checked bag fees, people are now carrying on more than ever before. Planes are having their overheads filled before the plane is 1/2 boarded. They now are doing mass "Thru-gate-checks". This is where a standard "checked bag" tag is applied to your bag at the gate. YOUR BAG WILL NOT BE RETURNED TO YOU AT THE DOOR ON ARRIVAL IF THIS HAPPENS.... you'll have to go to the regular luggage carousel to claim it.

Make sure that you ask for a gate check tag (and use this term) "like the strollers get" so your horn is returned to you at the plane door by hand. It is a separate "special" tag. From their reaction (a positive one) when I identified my carry-on as an instrument, it seems there is some policy/memo re:instruments and their eligibility for this "stroller" gate-check.

FWIW, they were "thru-checking" all carry-ons, no exceptions (their words) except for strollers and my horn. Fortunately I didn't have to argue.
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

Quote from: sabutin on May 04, 2010, 08:14AM...
Why do you ask?  Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

S.

because I like doing favors for people so I ask the stupid questions.  and I am trying to decide how to get my late '20s king silvertone down to ITF.  I'll probably ship it down to a fellow forum person who has agreed to bring up from houston to ITF  
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on May 04, 2010, 09:10AMOne addendum to Sam's Gate Check definition..... this may or may not be a new thing but it was the first I'd heard of it on my recent "misadventure" I described above.

Due to checked bag fees, people are now carrying on more than ever before. Planes are having their overheads filled before the plane is 1/2 boarded. They now are doing mass "Thru-gate-checks". This is where a standard "checked bag" tag is applied to your bag at the gate. YOUR BAG WILL NOT BE RETURNED TO YOU AT THE DOOR ON ARRIVAL IF THIS HAPPENS.... you'll have to go to the regular luggage carousel to claim it.

Make sure that you ask for a gate check tag (and use this term) "like the strollers get" so your horn is returned to you at the plane door by hand. It is a separate "special" tag. From their reaction (a positive one) when I identified my carry-on as an instrument, it seems there is some policy/memo re:instruments and their eligibility for this "stroller" gate-check.

FWIW, they were "thru-checking" all carry-ons, no exceptions (their words) except for strollers and my horn. Fortunately I didn't have to argue.

Thank you. Good to know.

S.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: sly fox on May 04, 2010, 09:14AMbecause I like doing favors for people so I ask the stupid questions.  and I am trying to decide how to get my late '20s king silvertone down to ITF.  I'll probably ship it down to a fellow forum person who has agreed to bring up from houston to ITF  

Best way, if it's packed well. But...expensive.

S.
ttf_donn

Post by ttf_donn »

Quote from: sabutin on May 04, 2010, 08:14AMPlus...since it is never piled on a some kind of teetering luggage carrier, it is less likely to fall off onto ther tarmac and get run over by a drug-fueled worker on overtime and steroids.

But you have to wonder how it's going to go from the gate, down to the ground, and back up into the plane's storage.  They might carry it, but if you look at the scaffold they climb up and down, it has a narrow slide by the stairs.  How fast will your horn be going when it gets to the bottom?  What if it falls off the slide?

One of my mistakes was my big case, one of those things with its own stupid wheels.  Baby stroller man looked at that thing and said "I'll carry these baby strollers down the stairs, but that case goes for a ride!" It was damaged like it had fallen at least 12 feet straight down.  So I would say definitely, form fitting case that looks like a trombone, if gate checking.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...I flew American to Chicago out of Laguardia last week, and came upon a scenario that will send a chill into your hearts.

AFTER check in, and AFTER security, as I strolled toward the gate area, I passed one big fat dude in the middle of the hallway whose SOLE job was to stop every passenger and have them put their carry-on into the little dimension-measuring metal cage. I did NOT have my bone with me this time (phew!), just a 21 inch carry on, identical to the ones every other serious traveler wheels along. This dude has seen this same bag go by ten thousand times.  And he made me put it in the cage, anyway.

Obviously, a trombone case would have been un-passable.

It was only a matter of time. With the bag fees, everyone is pushing the carry-on restrictions. Bins fill up after 1/4 the passengers board. The airlines are getting drastic, and we're losing our wiggle room.

I guess we'd better get used to checking our horns. Or never leaving town. Or getting a day job. Or something.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: JimLeff on May 18, 2010, 09:43AMI hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...I flew American to Chicago out of Laguardia last week, and came upon a scenario that will send a chill into your hearts.

AFTER check in, and AFTER security, as I strolled toward the gate area, I passed one big fat dude in the middle of the hallway whose SOLE job was to stop every passenger and have them put their carry-on into the little dimension-measuring metal cage. I did NOT have my bone with me this time (phew!), just a 21 inch carry on, identical to the ones every other serious traveler wheels along. This dude has seen this same bag go by ten thousand times.  And he made me put it in the cage, anyway.

Obviously, a trombone case would have been un-passable.

It was only a matter of time. With the bag fees, everyone is pushing the carry-on restrictions. Bins fill up after 1/4 the passengers board. The airlines are getting drastic, and we're losing our wiggle room.

I guess we'd better get used to checking our horns. Or never leaving town. Or getting a day job. Or something.

I travel 50K air miles per year, at least for the past 20 years. The guy past security is rare, but not really new. The truth is, the guy you describe sees a thousand bags a day. Unless he is blind or spatially deficient, he knows your bag is OK.

So, the next question is why did he make you measure your bag? I doubt it was to ensure good customer service, safety or other reasons he might name. I think he is doing it because he can, or his boss is watching. I worry for people who have jobs like that.

The random acts of customer badgering is what has removed some of the joy of flying for me. And I have Gold status, so they treat me better than the average customer. You just don't know what is going to set airport personnel off.

On the other side, as an experienced flyer, I just have an extra drink in the lounge and forget about it. I'm glad I'll never fly with my bone.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

July 11th I'll be heading to Italy with a big band - a baggage night mare if there ever was one.  Most people will be trying to bring their horns on board with them so I'm just going to assume there is no way i'll get a bin and put it in the TANK™ and check it and hope my Shires makes it without any problems. 

If worse comes to worse, does anybody know who i could borrow a horn from in Umbria?  Anybody know who else will be there this summer?  10 years ago i would just bring a back up horn but that's a no-go.

Z
ttf_JimLeff

Post by ttf_JimLeff »

Quote from: Exzaclee on May 19, 2010, 09:30AMJuly 11th I'll be heading to Italy with a big band - a baggage night mare if there ever was one. 
Nightmare for the airline, not for you. There's safety in numbers - and by numbers, I mean the fat  revenue the airline's getting from your group. I've always felt extremely comfortable about carrying on my horn when  traveling with a big band, because all parties involved know the drill, it's up front. Just stride right on the plane. The problem's when flying solo....whereupon you're just some dude with an over-the-limit carryon, period.

Forte, my point wasn't that I flet indignant that they measured my carryon. My point was that there was no way a trombone would have been permitted to pass, and the guy was enough of a stickler that that there was no wiggle room.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: JimLeff on May 20, 2010, 05:57PMNightmare for the airline, not for you. There's safety in numbers - and by numbers, I mean the fat  revenue the airline's getting from your group. I've always felt extremely comfortable about carrying on my horn when  traveling with a big band, because all parties involved know the drill, it's up front. Just stride right on the plane. The problem's when flying solo....whereupon you're just some dude with an over-the-limit carryon, period.

Forte, my point wasn't that I flet indignant that they measured my carryon. My point was that there was no way a trombone would have been permitted to pass, and the guy was enough of a stickler that that there was no wiggle room.

I understand your point. It's just that when you have obeyed all the rules, waited, been searched, sometimes told to hurry up, and then searched again sometimes, it just seems that sometimes they could give it a rest. Like the time I had to make 2 connections, and at the last one, somebody decided my carry-on was too heavy. The carry-on contained my laptop, and I was reluctant to check it, because if it was damaged, my trip would be pointless. They were "generous" and let me board the plane.

As you mentioned, I too rarely fly with my bone. The last time, only the cornets took their instruments on. The few that drove took all other instruments - from Toronto to Halifax.

I travel with so much less than most, and even in the past few years it is so much less.
ttf_JimLeff

Post by ttf_JimLeff »

Quote from: Torobone on May 20, 2010, 06:29PMI understand your point. It's just that when you have obeyed all the rules, waited, been searched, sometimes told to hurry up, and then searched again sometimes, it just seems that sometimes they could give it a rest.

You may be right, but it's not very practical to think in those terms. Airports are full of huffy people unhappy with their treatment, and the huffyness never ever helps.

I keep my eye firmly on the goal: working within the unavoidable, immutable system to get my horn into that overhead bin. There's room for nothing else in my brain or gut.
ttf_JimLeff

Post by ttf_JimLeff »

Perhaps reconsider the strategy of gate checking:

"More gate-checked bags means more valuables stolen"
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2008/12/16/now-that-more-bags-are-gate-checked-more-stuff-is-getting-stole/

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I bought a new BAM hard case for my king 4B closed wrap trombone. (i payed 500 USD.) I checked the case at the gate assuming it would be ok. I stood at the window and watched a baggage handler throw the instrument onto a plane. The airport i was going from was JFK to orlando flying AA. i was in tears when i got the instrument back at orlando and saw the massive cut running the full length of the case. Image, The staff at orlando airport wanted absolutely nothing to do with it saying that i should contact the airline or any "one world" airline representative when i got back home to sydney australia. when i got home i contacted rang QANTAS and emailed AA and they said i had to contact the staff at orlando airport.

i got nothing out of AA apart from an unusable BAM hardcase. my case has been superglued back together but it will never be the same as it once was. did i mention that it was brocken by AA 2 days after i bought it.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: cheza on May 29, 2010, 04:38AMi got nothing out of AA apart from an unusable BAM hardcase. my case has been superglued back together but it will never be the same as it once was. did i mention that it was brocken by AA 2 days after i bought it.

I often wonder if the gorillas in human suits look upon good cases as a challenge to see if they can break them.
ttf_JimLeff

Post by ttf_JimLeff »

Cheza, really sorry to hear this.

But don't give up. The airline (which is responsible, IMO) has a series of filters and baffles set up to deflect casual complainers. If they instantly wrote checks to anyone who walked in their doors (and pointed you directly to the check writing desk), they'd be out of business in weeks.

They must do the right thing in the end, because there are legal issues and responsibilities, but they certainly don't have to make the process simple or easy. My suggestion is that you stay right on top of them. Be polite, but stop taking "no" for an answer. Bear in mind that they'd be perfectly happy if you gave up. If you feel inclined to do so, know that you were manipulated into withdrawing. Don't give up!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

What a traumatic ordeal !
May I ask why you where not able to board with your horn ?
I have know many who use Bam Cases that where able to store them in the overheads on certain plains.
And if by chance they did not fit the flight attendants are often glad to store it in one of the closets.

Lastly why did you pay so much for a Bam case ?
$500.00 ??
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

on the subject of BAM cases:

not all planes have overheads which will fit a trombone.  On the smallest planes you'll have a problem fitting anything larger than a 2B.

the airlines do not have to let you carry your horn on: it is too big so you're getting away with something when you do get it through.  given, i see most carry-ons people bring on planes now-a-days to be way too big - stuffed to the gills because they're too scared to check a suitcase.

checking sucks but sooner or later you'll have to check a case and if it isn't flight ready - sorry.

Get a TANK™!

Or an SKB - much cheaper option - although the baggage monkeys managed to destroy my SKB...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

QuoteMay I ask why you where not able to board with your horn ?
the case was empty apart from clothes because i had left my trombone in sydney

QuoteLastly why did you pay so much for a Bam case ?
$500.00 ??
the australian doller wasn't great at the time
ttf_JimLeff

Post by ttf_JimLeff »

Quote from: Exzaclee on May 31, 2010, 10:49AMOr an SKB - much cheaper option - although the baggage monkeys managed to destroy my SKB...

Oh, crap. I just ordered an SKB...
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

my experience was a special circumstance - they had to do something pretty hard-core to tear it up the way they did.  the cases are pretty solid and mine had survived quite a few flights before it happened.

I'm glad I have a Tank though - it was more expensive but worth it.
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Post by ttf_Richard Tadaki »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Jun 01, 2010, 09:27PMmy experience was a special circumstance - they had to do something pretty hard-core to tear it up the way they did.  the cases are pretty solid and mine had survived quite a few flights before it happened.

I'm glad I have a Tank though - it was more expensive but worth it.

And wasn't your trombone undamaged even though the SKB case was cracked open?  I thought that was amazing! 

Me?  I have an SKB for everyday use and a Tank for when I have to fly.   Image
ttf_donn

Post by ttf_donn »

I need a hard case for my old (long slide) bass trombone, but after the way my SKB bari sax case failed at the NY airport ... not spending more money on Chinese junk.  The big aluminum valance bends like cheese, it isn't really fastened to the thin ABS shell, and the massive latches aren't really that strong and tend to snag on things.

The trombone case is probably a lot better than the bari case, but I'd just as soon take an old factory case.
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

So I thought I had unusually good luck checking my horn in my SKB golf bag.....until I was washing my horns today....

My horn was opened and inspected both ways. Going out wasn't a problem, but coming back I found the paper inside my case, but didn't see any obvious damage. When I was washing my slide I noticed that there are a bunch of scratches on my lower slide tube. I had my horn in a gig bag, inside the golf bag. And had place a piece of 1/2" packing foam in-between my trigger linkage and my slide. It appears that the linkage was rubbed against the slide, probably in an attempt to remove part of the horn incorrectly from the gig bag. Its too bad I didn't notice this at the airport, they have a 4 hour policy, so for future note, take your horn all the way out of the case to check for smaller damage. I am probably going to try to get my slide checked out to make sure its not bent, it doesn't appear that the slide tube is dented, only scratched, which seems pretty lucky but is certainly annoying.

I'm about thisclose to getting a Marcus Bonna case, are they able to be gate checked if necessary?

Quote from: donn on Jun 02, 2010, 08:13AMI need a hard case for my old (long slide) bass trombone, but after the way my SKB bari sax case failed at the NY airport ... not spending more money on Chinese junk.  The big aluminum valance bends like cheese, it isn't really fastened to the thin ABS shell, and the massive latches aren't really that strong and tend to snag on things.

The trombone case is probably a lot better than the bari case, but I'd just as soon take an old factory case.

My SKB cases are all produced in Orange, CA....
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

sorry to hear about the damage, hope it is minimal
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: LizM on Jul 14, 2010, 08:56PMMy horn was opened and inspected both ways. Going out wasn't a problem, but coming back I found the paper inside my case, but didn't see any obvious damage. When I was washing my slide I noticed that there are a bunch of scratches on my lower slide tube. I had my horn in a gig bag, inside the golf bag. And had place a piece of 1/2" packing foam in-between my trigger linkage and my slide. It appears that the linkage was rubbed against the slide, probably in an attempt to remove part of the horn incorrectly from the gig bag. Its too bad I didn't notice this at the airport, they have a 4 hour policy, so for future note, take your horn all the way out of the case to check for smaller damage. I am probably going to try to get my slide checked out to make sure its not bent, it doesn't appear that the slide tube is dented, only scratched, which seems pretty lucky but is certainly annoying.

Four hour policy? Nice - for them....
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Well, folks, this has not been a good year for me as far as the survivability of flight ready cases goes.  Some of you may remember the post i made about the SKB i had destroyed flying to Canada over the christmas holidays. 

Well friends, my Tank got pretty mangled by BA on the return flight from Nice.  I'm going to post another topic about this where I'll go into more detail.  Let me state clearly this is not due to any problem perceived or otherwise with the Tank - more some sort of steroid-fuelef rage by the happy English baggage handlers who transferred our luggage at Heathrow.

Good God, i swear if i'm ever in a bar and someone mentions within earshot that they load baggage for an airline i'm going to slash their tires.  This is just getting ridiculous.   An SKB and a Tank within about 6 months of eachother.  Tabernac!
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

You have my condolences, Zac. Image
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Jul 22, 2010, 09:37AMWell, folks, this has not been a good year for me as far as the survivability of flight ready cases goes.  Some of you may remember the post i made about the SKB i had destroyed flying to Canada over the christmas holidays. 

Well friends, my Tank got pretty mangled by BA on the return flight from Nice.  I'm going to post another topic about this where I'll go into more detail.  Let me state clearly this is not due to any problem perceived or otherwise with the Tank - more some sort of steroid-fuelef rage by the happy English baggage handlers who transferred our luggage at Heathrow.

Good God, i swear if i'm ever in a bar and someone mentions within earshot that they load baggage for an airline i'm going to slash their tires.  This is just getting ridiculous.   An SKB and a Tank within about 6 months of eachother.  Tabernac!

Well, now that you mentioned Heathrow, here's Monty Python's song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0e10baH6cE

The key lyrics are at 0:25.

I too have seen positively vile baggage handling in England. May they drink warm beer forever.  Image

ttf_Richard Tadaki

Post by ttf_Richard Tadaki »

Holy smokes, Zac!!!  They mangled your Tank?!!!!!  Now I'm worried!!!   Image

Richard
ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

Quote from: LizM on Jul 14, 2010, 08:56PM
My SKB cases are all produced in Orange, CA....
this is true. One of my relatives used to work for them. He made guitar cases
ttf_donn

Post by ttf_donn »

There is some legislative action around these matters, brought to my attention last weekend by a fellow musician.  A lot of this is months old, but he obviously thought it was still in play:

http://www.afm.org/departments/legislative-office/carrying-instruments-on-airplanes

http://www.artsusa.org/get_involved/advocacy/aad/issue_briefs/2010/advocacy_issuebrief_012.asp

Advocates mostly paint this as a legislative solution for the problem, but for a more restrained account that includes the actual legislative language -

http://www.local802afm.org/frames/fs_article.cfm?xEntry=64150483

To me, even that's pretty optimistic - the language is all about security, which as far as I know has little to do with the airline policies on this matter.  When they tell you your tuba can't ride in the seat you bought for it, it isn't because they think it's loaded with a bomb.  Still, I suppose the smallest step forward is better than standing still, so good luck to the Senate version language!

ttf_Babcockbone

Post by ttf_Babcockbone »

I have always flown with my "Gig" brand case, and I normally fly either Delta (because I live in Atlanta lol) or Airtran (also beucase I live in Atlanta haha) on Delta I have flown the 777(Euro trip),747(Japan trip),MD 83,and 80 as well as the 757. All of these planes I have had no issue with fitting my horn in the overhead bin. On Airtran I have flown both the 717 and the 737, I also have had no issue with getting my horns on the plane.

as a side note, on my trip to Europe there was a trumpet player on board and we started talking, well later in the flight we got our horns out and started playing a bit, the people on the plane LOVED it haha
ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

Quote from: Babcockbone on Oct 05, 2010, 06:08PMI have always flown with my "Gig" brand case, and I normally fly either Delta (because I live in Atlanta lol) or Airtran (also beucase I live in Atlanta haha) on Delta I have flown the 777(Euro trip),747(Japan trip),MD 83,and 80 as well as the 757. All of these planes I have had no issue with fitting my horn in the overhead bin. On Airtran I have flown both the 717 and the 737, I also have had no issue with getting my horns on the plane.

as a side note, on my trip to Europe there was a trumpet player on board and we started talking, well later in the flight we got our horns out and started playing a bit, the people on the plane LOVED it haha
any pictures of said case?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Babcockbone on Oct 05, 2010, 06:08PMI have always flown with my "Gig" brand case, and I normally fly either Delta (because I live in Atlanta lol) or Airtran (also beucase I live in Atlanta haha) on Delta I have flown the 777(Euro trip),747(Japan trip),MD 83,and 80 as well as the 757. All of these planes I have had no issue with fitting my horn in the overhead bin. On Airtran I have flown both the 717 and the 737, I also have had no issue with getting my horns on the plane.

i think that would play well to the crowd if a couple of young students got their horns out on a flight, but adults would probably be chatting with an air marshall in short order. 
ttf_ntap

Post by ttf_ntap »

Does anyone know about American Airlines' policy towards instruments?  I'm flying out to NYC during Thanksgiving, and I'd bring my double bag as opposed to checking my hard case. 
ttf_Babcockbone

Post by ttf_Babcockbone »

Quote from: s3si1u on Oct 05, 2010, 09:42PMany pictures of said case?

here is a pic, its not the best in the world, mine is annoying orange lol!

http://www.signetmusic.com/zone/detail/zm_detail.asp?IID=BRA131&z=2&PT=99999999&TY=Case&SE=4
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: ntap on Oct 06, 2010, 11:00AMDoes anyone know about American Airlines' policy towards instruments?  I'm flying out to NYC during Thanksgiving, and I'd bring my double bag as opposed to checking my hard case. 

nick, let me know when you're in town.  pm email or....

dg
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

about time  Image I'm 18 years old and traveled as the principle trombonist of the Arizona ambassador's of music on a European tour and i was so paranoid my 'bone was gonna get damaged! also, if anyone can recommend a double gig-bag or a double trombone case of any form let me know please  Image
ttf_Gliik

Post by ttf_Gliik »

This may be of no help to a real trombonist, especially one traveling in cold weather or for more than a few days; but:
I've twice carried two cases onto regional jets (a locked, rigid one in which my horn traveled and a gig bag in which my clothes, etc. traveled). TSA doesn't care as long as they can x-ray them and flight attendants took me for a serious musician, not knowing that cut time and sharps can strike fear in my heart.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Don't mean to steal the thread but I'm about to fly with my horn (carry-on) and don't have time much tonight to look though the previous posts. I'm wondering if I should take it in the hard case or my gig bag. The horn is a Conn 88H (pretty new). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

If your hard case can fit in an overhead (at least one side of 12 inches or less) use that. Now that there are bag fees people will try to cram stuff on top of it and you may have a hard time stopping them which is why, if it were me, I'd avoid using a gig bag.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

AlClark I would probably pack them in bubble wrap and cardboard, then wrap your clothes around them in your suitcase. or just stuff them in your carry on and leave everything else in your suitcase

Return to “Instruments”