Earl Williams Trombone

ttf_anonymous

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Okay, I'm outed.

Not that I was hiding with such a transparent Ebay name - I figure one might as well be upfront about who they are.

I'll let the forum know what it's like when I get it. It's probable I paid too much, and I won't be playing it. I only know how to work a bass trombone - sort of.

But now I've got the whole set - a Wallace-Williams (thanks, Mike!) a Model 8 (thanks, Colin!) a Model 9 (Thanks, Deano!) a Model 10 (a thousand thanks, Art!!!!) a Model 10 bell (thanks, William!) but I didn't have a model 6.

Now I have one, but it may be difficult finding out its history.

Although I won't be playing it I sort of have a lending library. They all get played, and the 6 will get used in what should be an interesting experiment in two weeks. We're playing a Rigoletto with a Scherzer cimbasso (Thanks, David!) When we play Mozart, bel canto or anything with cimbasso we try to use smaller instruments. So this time we'll try all-Williams (6, 8 or 9 and 10) to see how they all go together. The experiment will be tried in a triple-B environment - bones, beef and beer. If it works and everyone's comfortable we'll play the run with them.

I got interested in Williams trombones because a long-time colleague - Dave Robins - a fantastic player with the biggest, roundest sound imaginable played a Williams. His was pretty much worn - or played - out when the father and son died. He asked a local repairman (Joe deBruycker) if he could build a similar instrument. That was a very good project, the deBruyckers have the same characteristics (bell close to face, huge projection and behaviour of a larger horn with the ease of the smaller) but with a bit more 'zip'. Joe made a slight alteration in the throat of the bell and used hard Belgian brass. Sadly, he's gone now as well.

The continuing interest in these fine instruments is thrilling; I believe their makers would be very proud.

Sharman

ttf_sabutin

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Duffle on Feb 10, 2009, 12:02AMI was under the impression that the Shires small bore was based on the Williams 6 - how do they compare?.......

A Williams 6, a Minick 100H, some 6Hs...all went into the planning stages of Steve's .500s, plus others I am sure.

How do Shires .500s compare to Earl Williams 6s? Of course...it depends on which Shires you are playing. There are too many available alloys, weights, leadpipes, slide weights, tuning slidesb ells sizes etc. for there to even be a "Shires .500".

But as one who has played many of them who is also an ex-Williams 6 player (My Williams 6 went into the case the day my Shires .500 came home.), my take on the Shires .500s is that it they all play "bigger" than the Williams models. Less restrictive, maybe a tad slower responding than the Williams horns but able to keep the core of the sound WAY past what Williams horns will handle in terms of volume. On the other hand,  thew Williams is an easier horn to play. A little less effortful and a little more forgiving.

My take on the Shires horns that I have put together?

The .500 plays like a .508-ish Bach and/or King from ppp right on up to about mf and then it turns into a slightly darker, roomier Elkhart 6H.

The .508 plays like a good brass King 3b only a little darker (richer?) and without the annoyingly bad partials that are present on most 3Bs.

The .525 plays like a truly great Bach 36 from ppp right on up to about mf and then it turns into a slightly darker, roomier Elkhart 78H.

But...I selected the parts to get what I was looking for. I would imagine that if you wanted a more Willaims 6-ish Shires you would have to look at either the .485 slide or a .485/.500 dual bore (possibly lightweight or maybe with nickel silver tubes), mate it with a fairly light yellow brass bell with a soldered bead and then mess with leadpipes and bell sizes. But that's just a guess. I was tired of my Williams, good as it was. It just didn't have the mass of sound that I like on a small horn. What can I say? I'm a tuba player/Elkhart 78H Special player at heart. The Williams was too...LA.

Later...

S.

ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

What a rough life you have, Sharman -- owning a collection of Williams and living in my favorite city.

Do you have a model 4?

Noxon's 4 is easily the best trombone I've ever played (but don't think for a second he'll let it go)
ttf_dj kennedy

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

hum  //what  i  really mean is  manny's  horns  as well as larry  minick  or  some of the olds customs
 might  a  few  file  marks  //touches  of  one  hand  //a  similiar  vibe
---sams  6  was pretty  lite  --and manny's  lite  versions  kind of  felt  familiar
============
quinn  yeah  i  let him have  a  ww pigtail  that was on the ay  for under 700
he  has  a stash  of ww  and  was into early  conns
-the most  beautiful  gold plated     3h engraved  inside the bell flare even --300 bucks
fancier than the  pryor  horn even
---

Quote from: jnoxon on Feb 10, 2009, 05:03PMYes Dave, Sharman did buy it, He has 4 or 5 other Williams. Heck of a nice guy and a great player as well. The Schmelzer does have a different bell flair, and proportions. Not very similar at all if you played one. About the only thing in my opinion that is similar is the curved grip, not much else. Good ol Quinn has a couple Williams also.

ttf_Pteranabone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

http://www.calicchio.com/main.cfm?id=1

According to Calicchio's website, it looks like there will not be any more.

"...We here at Calicchio ...are feeling the pinch that seems to be world-wide. Although we did have a business model to grow the company and expand into other brass lines, the task has proven more than our little company can handle. We have attempted to bring back the Earl Williams Trombones with little success, due to issues beyond our control. With that said we will no longer be building trombones and will only focus on trumpets and flugels."
ttf_Malec Heermans

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

I suspect that Calicchio were beat to the punch by Kanstul. I think Kanstul has something really special happening with production of some oddball specialty stuff. Those guys are in a special league because they're producing reborn vintage stuff that caters to the "commercial" market. A little marketing, a sleeker old school "professional line" counterweight, and I think they would be even better known for that aspect of their production.
ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Pteranabone on Feb 14, 2009, 07:41PMWe have attempted to bring back the Earl Williams Trombones with little success, due to issues beyond our control. With that said we will no longer be building trombones and will only focus on trumpets and flugels."This is unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected. I've heard that they've had some significant issues with slide fabrication. When I spoke to the Calicchio rep at NAMM last month, he told me they were consulting with John Upchurch with the intent of setting up a state-of-the-art operation for drawing slide tubes. Sounds like they've decided it's just not worth it.

ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Well, as many of you already know, Earl was not a musician.  He was an expert tube-drawer.

One major issue was the price.  You just can't expect to sell many trombones of unproven quality at $3000+, especially in this economy.  I'm sorry to say that from what I've heard, they're a bit of a risk at that price. Even the Kanstul 1606 is a little steep.
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Looks like the one for sale on the OTJ has a SN of 1054.
ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: bachbone on Feb 18, 2009, 06:24PMLooks like the one for sale on the OTJ has a SN of 1054.

I remember that serial number.  I think it had been sold within the last couple of years. 
ttf_anonymous

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi folks.

Just joined up and wanted to get in on the Williams talk.  I have been into the idea of a Williams since 1989.  A friend let me play his recently acquired Burbank 4 and I was instantly hooked!  I watched ads for awhile and saw moderate buying and selling of Williams' instruments.  When I finally was ready to buy one there were no more older ones to be seen.  I heard that they were now being made in Donelson, Tennessee and thought cool.  I bought a Tennessee Williams model 4 in 1991 and sold it at the end of the year because it seemed to small for me at the time and it just didn't seem the same as the first one I played..... and I needed tuition.

In August of 2006 I purchased another Tennessee Williams but a model 6 that time.  I purchased it from BACHorndoctor.  The horn has no serial number on it and Mike told me that it was probably a prototype.  It plays pretty good, but it wasn't an original, but I have been enjoying it enough.

A week and a half ago I saw another model 6 listed and it was a Burbank horn.  I found out that the guy selling it lived near enough to me that I had to go and play it.  Wow!!!!  I just went and purchased it from him today.  I bought Earl Williams, Burbank model 6 serial 1054.  I am so excited!!!  I can't wait to start practicing on it!!

So now I want to find out about it, date made, a little history of owners, and whatever else there is to know.  Thanks for any thoughts!

Blu n bru
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: blu n bru on Feb 27, 2009, 12:30AMHi folks.

Just joined up and wanted to get in on the Williams talk.  I have been into the idea of a Williams since 1989.  A friend let me play his recently acquired Burbank 4 and I was instantly hooked!  I watched ads for awhile and saw moderate buying and selling of Williams' instruments.  When I finally was ready to buy one there were no more older ones to be seen.  I heard that they were now being made in Donelson, Tennessee and thought cool.  I bought a Tennessee Williams model 4 in 1991 and sold it at the end of the year because it seemed to small for me at the time and it just didn't seem the same as the first one I played..... and I needed tuition.

In August of 2006 I purchased another Tennessee Williams but a model 6 that time.  I purchased it from BACHorndoctor.  The horn has no serial number on it and Mike told me that it was probably a prototype.  It plays pretty good, but it wasn't an original, but I have been enjoying it enough.

A week and a half ago I saw another model 6 listed and it was a Burbank horn.  I found out that the guy selling it lived near enough to me that I had to go and play it.  Wow!!!!  I just went and purchased it from him today.  I bought Earl Williams, Burbank model 6 serial 1054.  I am so excited!!!  I can't wait to start practicing on it!!

So now I want to find out about it, date made, a little history of owners, and whatever else there is to know.  Thanks for any thoughts!

Blu n bru

Wow!  Welcome to the forum!  Image

The best person to ask about history is probably John Noxon.  he is on this forum and knows A LOT about Williams horns!!!!

He worked for Earl to pay for half of a horn.  Buffed them if I remember right.

Great guy!  He has helped me with information the average Joe wouldn't know.  For example:  one of the things I learned was that Earl didn't use cork for the spit valve, but rubber! 

Take care, and remember that these horns are special!  Image
ttf_anonymous

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have a tulsa williams and I must tell you how an amazing of a horn it is. I played it next to a few burbank' s. The tulsa's play just as well, in some ways better. I haven't played a horn better other then Noxon's williams 4. I played the new schilke jazz horn at the NAMM show and it is very similar in feel to the williams 4.
ttf_dj kennedy

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

BJORN  SAMUELSON   --AMAZING  PLAYER
 got  a  4  from  dick dreiwitz --4  grand    -----
there is  one in  south florida  somewhere
---------------------------

Quote from: jazztrbn77 on Feb 28, 2009, 11:27PMI have a tulsa williams and I must tell you how an amazing of a horn it is. I played it next to a few burbank' s. The tulsa's play just as well, in some ways better. I haven't played a horn better other then Noxon's williams 4. I played the new schilke jazz horn at the NAMM show and it is very similar in feel to the williams 4.

ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: dj kennedy on Mar 02, 2009, 06:44PMBJORN  SAMUELSON   --AMAZING  PLAYER
 got  a  4  from  dick dreiwitz --4  grand    -----
there is  one in  south florida  somewhere
---------------------------

I would love to buy/play a 4. 

Any idea out there how the larger bore Williams play?
ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: bachbone on Mar 06, 2009, 11:11PMI would love to buy/play a 4. 

Any idea out there how the larger bore Williams play?
My .525" w/f plays pretty big; likely due to the large (9") bell, bell throat, and neckpipe. It works well with the .547" tenors in my section at Bones West.
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Richard Tadaki »

Hi all.  This is so exciting.  Last night I did a search for Earl Williams trombones and I found this forum.  Wow!  It's great to meet other people who have experiences Williams trombones.  About 8 weeks ago, I pulled out my Model 6 for the first time in 16 years and joined the community band and have been working hard to get back into shape ever since.  I bought my Model 6 from the Williams shop in Burbank back in 1971.  I talked to Bob Williams (Earl was nowhere to be seen) and tried out both a Model 6 and a Model 8.  I was leaning towards a Model 8 but since I was in college (sophomore) and loved playing in the jazz band he recommended that I buy the 6 feeling that it was a more versatile instrument.  I've never regretted getting the Model 6 but now I wish I could buy a Model 8.  By some chance, do any of you know if someone wants to part with his or her Model 8?  (I hope I'm not breaking a rule by asking about buying a trombone.  If I am, I'm really sorry.)

Aloha from Hawaii,
Richard
ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Other than the occasional 6, Williams horns don't come on the market very often. Keep an eye on the usual suspects (eBay, Craigslist, etc.) along with the classifieds here and at trombone.org.
ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 12, 2009, 03:37PMI've never regretted getting the Model 6 but now I wish I could buy a Model 8.  By some chance, do any of you know if someone wants to part with his or her Model 8?  (I hope I'm not breaking a rule by asking about buying a trombone.  If I am, I'm really sorry.)

A model 8 in good condition is going to cost you a bare minimum of $2500 and up to $4000 or more. That's not the problem, though; I've only ever seen two model 8's for sale. There was one on eBay for a long time up until a few months ago, and I think it went for somewhere between $3000-4000. 

If you want a .525 bore trombone, think about a Conn 78H or a Bach 36 and you'll save some serious coin.

But hey, if you have that kind of money and see one for sale, grab it!
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: DaveAshley on Mar 12, 2009, 05:00PMA model 8 in good condition is going to cost you a bare minimum of $2500 and up to $4000 or more. That's not the problem, though; I've only ever seen two model 8's for sale. There was one on eBay for a long time up until a few months ago, and I think it went for somewhere between $3000-4000. 

If you want a .525 bore trombone, think about a Conn 78H or a Bach 36 and you'll save some serious coin.

But hey, if you have that kind of money and see one for sale, grab it!

Wow!  I figured it was going to cost some big bucks but I didn't realize how big.  Regarding alternatives, I was actually thinking of an Edwards with an 8 1/2" bell and a .525" bore but then it wouldn't be a Model 8.  I really can't afford it anyway since I've retired from teaching.  Still, I wonder how close I can get to a Model 8 if I customized an Edwards enough?  Just wondering.

Aloha,
Richard
ttf_Exzaclee

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

if you called enough people (Jnoxon, the guys at hornguys) they might be able to find you a lead pipe - or find someone who could make one - that would be close to the size and length Earl Williams used -

The slides - did they ever make any .525 slides up in Tulsa?  i remember seeing the pricing on the website when i was considering buying one...

I thought I'd heard Shires was drawing some of the tubes for some of the Tulsa WIlliams - they could maybe spin you up a good copy - or Kanstul who seems to have a decent 6 copy on the market - Have shires do it and Kanstul supply the braces?

oh, the possibilities with unlimited bread....

Z
ttf_anonymous

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 12, 2009, 03:37PM...By some chance, do any of you know if someone wants to part with his or her Model 8?...

Well, I don't know the exchange rate for $ to Yen but there is one 8 at Kurosawa wind in Japan for slightly less than 200.000 Yen.
ttf_anonymous

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: lingon on Mar 13, 2009, 02:41AMWell, I don't know the exchange rate for $ to Yen but there is one 8 at Kurosawa wind in Japan for slightly less than 200.000 Yen.

Just at the moment, that's about US $2,031. 
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: lingon on Mar 13, 2009, 02:41AMWell, I don't know the exchange rate for $ to Yen but there is one 8 at Kurosawa wind in Japan for slightly less than 200.000 Yen.

Hi Lingon,

Thanks for the info.  This is worth checking.  I appreciate it. 

Aloha,
Richard
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Hello again,

It was a great lead but it turns out that the Kurosawagakki Model 8 was made in Donelson, TN.  Not what I'm looking for.  Thanks, anyway.  I appreciate it.

Richard
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 12, 2009, 08:06PMWow!  I figured it was going to cost some big bucks but I didn't realize how big.  Regarding alternatives, I was actually thinking of an Edwards with an 8 1/2" bell and a .525" bore but then it wouldn't be a Model 8.  I really can't afford it anyway since I've retired from teaching.  Still, I wonder how close I can get to a Model 8 if I customized an Edwards enough?  Just wondering.

Aloha,
Richard

Aloha to you too! (Family Hawaii tradition)  Welcome to the Forum!  Image

I have never played anything like the Williams 6 I have now.  No Bach, Conn or King Trombone has even came close to the response or sound of it!

If you want something to sound and feel like a Williams 8, you better buy a Williams 8 because there is no "replacement" for it. To me, it is comparable to the Stradivarius Violins and Violas.  (scarcity, and the way they were made.)

Worth every dime!
ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Mar 13, 2009, 02:36AMif you called enough people (Jnoxon, the guys at hornguys) they might be able to find you a lead pipe - or find someone who could make one - that would be close to the size and length Earl Williams usedNoxon's got several .525" leadpipes (actually, I have them now to try out, but I'll be returning them soon). I'm liking a replica Herrick pipe; many Williams horns were modified with Herrick pipes back in the day.

It wouldn't be too difficult to dimensionally replicate the cylindrical parts (slide tubes and crooks). The neckpipe, tuning slide, and bell are another matter.
ttf_lingon

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_lingon »

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 13, 2009, 11:01AM...Thanks for the info...
Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 13, 2009, 11:07AM...Not what I'm looking for...

Douitashimashite Richard. I did also see one Williams, do not know the model #, in one of the display cases at Shimokura Wind in Tokyo, a couple of weeks ago.

A Williams is a Williams. I think it will not be easy to put together some parts that are nonwilliams and make a trombone that works like one. Maybe you can find something near or maybe even something you like even better. But not like the real stuff without getting the real stuff I think.

On the other hand if you not try you will never know...

ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: lingon on Mar 13, 2009, 06:44PMDouitashimashite Richard. I did also see one Williams, do not know the model #, in one of the display cases at Shimokura Wind in Tokyo, a couple of weeks ago.

A Williams is a Williams. I think it will not be easy to put together some parts that are nonwilliams and make a trombone that works like one. Maybe you can find something near or maybe even something you like even better. But not like the real stuff without getting the real stuff I think.

On the other hand if you not try you will never know...

Hi John.  I take it you're in Japan.  It's someplace that I need to visit one of these days.  I agree with you 100% that a Williams is a Williams and nothing else can compare.  This is not to suggest that there might not be some better horns out there but none of them will be a Model 8.  I'll find one someday if I just keep looking.  In the mean time, domo arigato gozaimashita.

Ja mata,
Richard
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: bachbone on Mar 13, 2009, 02:41PMAloha to you too! (Family Hawaii tradition)  Welcome to the Forum!  Image

I have never played anything like the Williams 6 I have now.  No Bach, Conn or King Trombone has even came close to the response or sound of it!

If you want something to sound and feel like a Williams 8, you better buy a Williams 8 because there is no "replacement" for it. To me, it is comparable to the Stradivarius Violins and Violas.  (scarcity, and the way they were made.)

Worth every dime!

Hi Bachbone.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your input but I agree with you too, as with John.  I like the feel and sound of a Williams 8 and that's what I need to get.  As I said, I'll find one someday if I keep looking.

Aloha,
Richard
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

I hear they are rare, but just how rare are Williams trombones?

How many were produced? or how many did Earl produce?
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: bachbone on Mar 14, 2009, 05:00PMI hear they are rare, but just how rare are Williams trombones?

How many were produced? or how many did Earl produce?

I don't really know.  I don't know if he had different versions of Model 8's or for how many years he made them.  I guess Earl started making trombones in the 1920's.  I wonder if the people at Calicchio might have that information amongst all of the tooling and shop cards and whatever else they got to reproduce Williams trombones. 

Aloha,
Richard

ttf_lingon

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_lingon »

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 13, 2009, 07:49PM...I take it you're in Japan... 

Richard, I was in Japan a couple of weeks ago and found many interesting things. Unfortunately the exchange rate from SEK to JPY is a catastrophe for the moment so it was mostly window shopping...

However I just did a search on Rakuten and found yet another Williams I think...

ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: lingon on Mar 16, 2009, 12:42PMRichard, I was in Japan a couple of weeks ago and found many interesting things. Unfortunately the exchange rate from SEK to JPY is a catastrophe for the moment so it was mostly window shopping...

However I just did a search on Rakuten and found yet another Williams I think...

Hi Lingon.  Too bad about the value of the SEK compared to the JPY.  I imagine that I would find a lot of interesting things I'd like to buy over there too.  I've put a halt to he search for a Williams 8.  We had very heavy rain here yesterday and my roof started leaking very badly.  It looks like I'll be spending some big bucks to fix it.  It just goes to show you, if it's not one thing, it's another.   Image  But I'll find one when the time is right.   Image

Aloha,
Richard

ttf_cozzagiorgi

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

How do you find stuff in japan? Guess you have to know japanese? I can't find anything when googlin in english.
ttf_dj kennedy

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

call us  when you get the  $$$$$$$$$
=====ha ha  -------
actually  you might find  an older  wallace -williams 
possibly slide tuning     for less  than 3000
maybe  under 1500 even
---------

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 12, 2009, 08:06PMWow!  I figured it was going to cost some big bucks but I didn't realize how big.  Regarding alternatives, I was actually thinking of an Edwards with an 8 1/2" bell and a .525" bore but then it wouldn't be a Model 8.  I really can't afford it anyway since I've retired from teaching.  Still, I wonder how close I can get to a Model 8 if I customized an Edwards enough?  Just wondering.

Aloha,
Richard

ttf_MaestroHound

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

How much would a Tennessee Williams 8 worth?? A professional player in Japan says he may want to let it go. I might just have him send it here (to the US) and see if I fall in love with it, or if I can find a buyer for him. As tempting as it is, I would have little use so finding a buyer seems more likely option. It is played & kept by a professional player, and is in better condition than the one at "Kurosawa" that was mentioned here, according to the current owner.
ttf_Bach42BOS

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bach42BOS »

Hi Richard howzit going?! It's good to see other trombonist from Hawaii here on the forum! Which island are you from?
ttf_Doug Elliott

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I think very few 8's were produced in Tennessee.  I was pretty familiar with that operation and he didn't make a lot of horns, mostly 6's and some 4's.  I still have a 4.

The 8 was never a great horn, it's kind of strange.  It's interesting but not many people would seriously want to play it.  They're a little unfocused and need a shallower mouthpiece than you might think for that size horn (.520, not .525).
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: Bach42BOS on Mar 17, 2009, 09:15PMHi Richard howzit going?! It's good to see other trombonist from Hawaii here on the forum! Which island are you from?

Maui!  I just sent him a slide dr. slide box, so I would know.  I would have been another from Hawaii, but I decided not to go to college there in Laie Oahu.

It is very interesting how Richard got his Williams and a great display of trust that Earl had!  The breed of horn is surely reviving as there is more talk about them.
ttf_Bach42BOS

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bach42BOS »

Quote from: bachbone on Mar 17, 2009, 10:05PMMaui!  I just sent him a slide dr. slide box, so I would know.  I would have been another from Hawaii, but I decided not to go to college there in Laie Oahu.

It is very interesting how Richard got his Williams and a great display of trust that Earl had!  The breed of horn is surely reviving as there is more talk about them.
maui! Sweet! I have family there!

Koda, I'm assuming you're referring to BYU Hawaii since that's the only college out laie side.
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: bachbone on Mar 17, 2009, 10:05PMMaui!  I just sent him a slide dr. slide box, so I would know.  I would have been another from Hawaii, but I decided not to go to college there in Laie Oahu.

Quote from: Bach42BOS on Mar 17, 2009, 11:36PMmaui! Sweet! I have family there!

Koda, I'm assuming you're referring to BYU Hawaii since that's the only college out laie side.

Hey!  Howzit!  As Koda said, I live on Maui.  I have a feeling I know the family you're related to.  Is the "obasan" a Shinto priest?  If so her daughter was my high school classmate and I taught with her son at the school from which I just retired.  Do you play a Williams too?  Gee, if Koda had gone to school in Laie and you play a Williams...  And I believe Slyde Hyde, who may also play a Williams, lives somewhere in Hawaii...  Wow!  There would be a lot of Earl Williams trombones in Hawaii!

Aloha,
Richard

ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Mar 17, 2009, 09:37PMI think very few 8's were produced in Tennessee.  I was pretty familiar with that operation and he didn't make a lot of horns, mostly 6's and some 4's.  I still have a 4.

The 8 was never a great horn, it's kind of strange.  It's interesting but not many people would seriously want to play it.  They're a little unfocused and need a shallower mouthpiece than you might think for that size horn (.520, not .525).

Hello,

I've never played a Tenn. 8.  But I did play an 8 at the Williams Burbank shop in 1971 and I loved it.  I ended up buying a 6 but would still like to get an 8.  It'll happen one of these days.

Aloha,
Richard
ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 18, 2009, 01:52AMAnd I believe Slyde Hyde, who may also play a Williams, lives somewhere in Hawaii...  Wow!  There would be a lot of Earl Williams trombones in Hawaii!
Slyde sold off his Williams. The last pic I saw of him was with what appeared to be a very old 2-B. I think there were two 6's and a 9.  I bought the worn-out 6, which was whipped back into shape by Robb Stewart.

Slyde lives on the north end of the Big Island, by the way.....
ttf_Bach42BOS

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bach42BOS »

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 18, 2009, 01:52AMHey!  Howzit!  As Koda said, I live on Maui.  I have a feeling I know the family you're related to.  Is the "obasan" a Shinto priest?  If so her daughter was my high school classmate and I taught with her son at the school from which I just retired.  Do you play a Williams too?  Gee, if Koda had gone to school in Laie and you play a Williams...  And I believe Slyde Hyde, who may also play a Williams, lives somewhere in Hawaii...  Wow!  There would be a lot of Earl Williams trombones in Hawaii!

Aloha,
Richard

haha yup!! that's the family alright!! so which aunty did you go to school with? susan or jane? haha and good ol' uncle wally lol!

but nah, i don't have a Williams. i play on some Bach's, Conn's, and a Shires lol!
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: Bach42BOS on Mar 18, 2009, 08:27AMhaha yup!! that's the family alright!! so which aunty did you go to school with? susan or jane? haha and good ol' uncle wally lol!

but nah, i don't have a Williams. i play on some Bach's, Conn's, and a Shires lol!

You are loaded with horns!  How many do you have?  A williams would do good with your collection! 
ttf_Bach42BOS

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bach42BOS »

Quote from: bachbone on Mar 18, 2009, 09:55AMYou are loaded with horns!  How many do you have?  A williams would do good with your collection! 
I currently have 8 at home at the moment. The "naked lady" is getting delivered today, I also bought another Elkhart 88H which was made in either 64 or 65, and then there's the 6 I just purchased from you LOL!

So I guess in total I'll have 11 horns soon Image Image

I wouldn't mind adding a Williams to the collection either!
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: DaveAshley on Mar 18, 2009, 06:42AMSlyde sold off his Williams. The last pic I saw of him was with what appeared to be a very old 2-B. I think there were two 6's and a 9.  I bought the worn-out 6, which was whipped back into shape by Robb Stewart.

Slyde lives on the north end of the Big Island, by the way.....

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip.  I have family and friend on the north side of the Big Island.  The next time I'm over there, I'll check to see if he's playing anywhere and go listen to him if he is.

Aloha,
Richard
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Earl Williams Trombone

Quote from: Bach42BOS on Mar 18, 2009, 08:27AMhaha yup!! that's the family alright!! so which aunty did you go to school with? susan or jane? haha and good ol' uncle wally lol!

I went to school with Susan and was teaching with Wally.  Wonderful people, as is your great aunt.

I agree with Koda.  I think you should check out a Williams.  I guess it's not to everyone's taste but I love mine.

Aloha,
Richard
ttf_Bach42BOS

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bach42BOS »

Quote from: Richard Tadaki on Mar 18, 2009, 12:06PMI went to school with Susan and was teaching with Wally.  Wonderful people, as is your great aunt.

I agree with Koda.  I think you should check out a Williams.  I guess it's not to everyone's taste but I love mine.

Aloha,
Richard
that means you're my dads classmate too! My dad, Glenn, is susan's twin brother! What a small world!

Anyways, if a Williams ever came up locally for sale, I would most def be interested!

Return to “Instruments”