Smartphones/PDAs not connecting to TTF

ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Quote from: play_louder on Apr 28, 2010, 02:30AMSo I just tried Opera Mini. It works fine; I can connect to TTF.

That suggests that the Opera servers connect OK to TTF. However, I can also access TTF fine on my phone already, so it would be interesting for someone who can't to try this experiment.

The easiest way to get Opera Mini on your phone is to use your regular phone browser to go to m.opera.com. There should be a download link there for your device.

NB I can't check to see if I can log in, because my user name has an underbar (_) in it, and the implementation of text input in Opera Mini does not allow me to input characters not directly on the keyboard of the phone (I have a Nokia E72). Very frustrating, which would make Opera no use to me for this. So beware if you have funny characters in your username or password!

If I install opera mobile on my blackberry, can I uninstall it later, if I don't like it?

EDIT:
OK - i installed it anyway - opera mini 5.0 i think it was.
Still same error message when I try to go to this forum.

ttf_play_louder

Post by ttf_play_louder »

That is very bizarre - that it would work on one phone and not another, as the actual request to the ttf site would come from the same place - the Opera server.

Wierd.

ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Quote from: ddickerson on Apr 29, 2010, 07:52AMIf I install opera mobile on my blackberry, can I uninstall it later, if I don't like it?

EDIT:
OK - i installed it anyway - opera mini 5.0 i think it was.
Still same error message when I try to go to this forum.

I'm still able to access TTF today using Opera Mini with my BlackBerry.  I cannot access www.m.tromboneforum.org, even with Opera - I get an error message.  I have to go to the regular address www.tromboneforum.org

Which address were you trying to access?  Are you getting the 403 error with both addresses? 

Also:  I installed Opera Mini on mine, got myself all confused with the installation, was able to uninstall it, and then reinstalled it yesterday.  So I think you should be able to uninstall if you want to. 

ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Quote from: tbone62 on Apr 29, 2010, 03:41PMI'm still able to access TTF today using Opera Mini with my BlackBerry.  I cannot access www.m.tromboneforum.org, even with Opera - I get an error message.  I have to go to the regular address www.tromboneforum.org

Which address were you trying to access?  Are you getting the 403 error with both addresses? 

Also:  I installed Opera Mini on mine, got myself all confused with the installation, was able to uninstall it, and then reinstalled it yesterday.  So I think you should be able to uninstall if you want to. 

I was only using the www.tromboneforum.org. I didn't know of the other URL. Here let me try it.

Thanks

EDIT:

www.m.tromboneforum.org is not a valid URL.

ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

ddickerson writes:

> > I cannot access www.m.tromboneforum.org
>
> www.m.tromboneforum.org  is not a valid URL.

I'm not sure where Alea came up with that URL; it's a new one on me.  The URL I've always used for the mobile version of the Forum is "http://tromboneforum.org/?wap=2".  Can anyone reach this URL who *can't* reach the main URL?

ttf_BFW

Post by ttf_BFW »

I think Alea meant m.tromboneforum.org (no www).
ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Quote from: BFW on Apr 30, 2010, 11:29AMI think Alea meant m.tromboneforum.org (no www).

Um....yeah, you're right - that's the one I was thinking of.  Image  It's been a long time since since the last time I tried it.  When I try that one with the regular browser, I get the "HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timeout" error message.

Todd, I tried the one you suggested ( http://tromboneforum.org/?wap=2 ) and that didn't work on mine. 

Now, with Opera Mini, I can still access TTF with no problem.  I'm guessing that Opera keeps the TTF software or something else in between from knowing I'm using a BlackBerry? 

ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

I just confirmed that the name "m.tromboneforum.org" is no longer known to DNS.  It must have been deleted by the owner of the "tromboneforum.org" domain.

Alea writes:

> When I try [m.tromboneforum.org] with the regular browser,
> I get the "HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timeout" error message.

Okay, that confirms the presence of a proxy server.  A 504 error is returned by a proxy (gateway) server when it sends a request to a web server (m.tromboneforum.org) on behalf of a client (your web browser) and fails to receive a response within some period of time.  This strikes me as an odd response, though; the fact that you received a reply from the proxy implies that you sent a request, but I would have expected your browser to do the DNS look-up and throw an error before sending a request.  Perhaps in the Blackberry environment (about which I know bupkis) the proxy handles the DNS look-up as well as the HTTP request, and perhaps it was the DNS request that timed out.  Can you recreate this error on demand?

While re-reading this thread to review what works and what doesn't I ran across a question PL asked a while back that went unanswered:

> Why isn't it possible to access the TTF using
> the IP address rather than the [domain name]?

The server at 216.139.89.3 is currently known by the following names:
  • [li] brokenconsort.com[/li][li] classifieds.tromboneforum.org[/li][li] cookbook.tromboneforum.org[/li][li] goliard.net[/li][li] openhorn.com[/li][li] samburtis.com[/li][li] search.tromboneforum.org[/li][li] tromboneforum.org[/li]
and possibly others.  These are all virtual domains that are handled by the same web server (i.e. a single Apache instance), which hands requests off to the appropriate virtual server based on the host name in the URL.  Most virtual server environments are configured to return a meaningful page rather than an ugly database error if a request is sent to the server's raw IP address, but apparently this one isn't.

ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on May 01, 2010, 12:10AM
I just confirmed that the name "m.tromboneforum.org" is no longer known to DNS.  It must have been deleted by the owner of the "tromboneforum.org" domain.

Alea writes:

> When I try [m.tromboneforum.org] with the regular browser,
> I get the "HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timeout" error message.

Okay, that confirms the presence of a proxy server.  A 504 error is returned by a proxy (gateway) server when it sends a request to a web server (m.tromboneforum.org) on behalf of a client (your web browser) and fails to receive a response within some period of time.  This strikes me as an odd response, though; the fact that you received a reply from the proxy implies that you sent a request, but I would have expected your browser to do the DNS look-up and throw an error before sending a request.  Perhaps in the Blackberry environment (about which I know bupkis) the proxy handles the DNS look-up as well as the HTTP request, and perhaps it was the DNS request that timed out.  Can you recreate this error on demand? 

Yes, I got the 504 error again when I tried it just now.  When I said I wanted more information, I got the following:

QuoteThe requested URL could not be retrieved.  While trying to retrieve the URL: http://m.tromboneforum.org/

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for m.tromboneforum.org

The dnsserver returned:

Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL. Check if the address is correct. 

ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

Okay, then it's as I speculated above -- the proxy server handles the DNS look-up as well as the HTTP request, which makes a lot of sense since the proxy is Internet-facing and the browser isn't.  In retrospect I guess the 504 error makes sense, too.  It merely indicates that the HTTP request could not be completed, which is true; the fact that it could not be completed because the DNS look-up failed is incidental.

Note also that this pretty much eliminates the possibility that the 403 (forbidden) errors are due to a DNS problem since we know now that the proxy throws 504 (gateway timeout) errors when it encounters DNS problems -- or at least we know this is true of the Opera proxy, and it's probably safe to assume it's true of the cellular carriers' proxies as well.

I'm pretty well convinced at this point that the TTF server is, in fact, throwing the 403 errors, i.e. denying service to some (but not all) proxy servers, and that these proxies are merely relaying this fact back to their clients.  A quick peak at the TTF server logs would confirm or dismiss this theory.  It's a real shame the TTF staff doesn't have access to these logs.

Alea, when the 403 error occurs in the native Blackberry browser, is there a "more information" option like the one you described above for the 504 error, or is that a function of Opera Mini?

ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on May 01, 2010, 07:14PM

Alea, when the 403 error occurs in the native Blackberry browser, is there a "more information" option like the one you described above for the 504 error, or is that a function of Opera Mini?

The 504 error and the "more information" I described above was the result of using my native BlackBerry browser. I had not at that time tried accessing m.tromboneforum.org using Opera.

I just tried it with OperaMini, though, and am getting something a little different:

ERROR!  Could not locate remote server

You tried to access the address http://m.tromboneforum.org/, which is currently unavailable.  Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

*Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other application that rely on the same connection are working. 
It's not giving me a numbered error labeled as such, but going straight to an explanation of what's happening. 

Using the native BlackBerry browser and trying to access http://www.tromboneforum.org, I get:  QuoteHTTP Error 403: Forbidden.  You are not authorized to view this page.  Please try loading a different page.
When I ask for more information, it tells me:

Quote Forbidden:  You don't have permission to access/ on this server.

ttf_John Beers Jr.

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

interesting... the mobile display for this site has changed significantly in the past few days, much fewer 'background images' to muddy up the connection speed.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

Alea writes:

> Using the native BlackBerry browser and trying to access
> http://www.tromboneforum.org, I get:
>
> > HTTP Error 403: Forbidden.  You are not authorized to
> > view this page.  Please try loading a different page.

Just for grins, let's take this suggestion and try to load another page.  Do you get the same error if you try to access, say:

> http://tromboneforum.org/meetthestaff.php

which is a static page that's not processed by PHP or SMF?  It's possible, albeit unlikely, that the problem only occurs on the home page, or on pages served by SMF, or on.....  You get the idea.

I think this is most likely to be an Apache configuration problem.  If you search Google for "Apache, proxy, 403 errors" you'll discover a myriad of ways in which one can screw up an Apache configuration file and create exactly the kind of problem we're discussing here.  Since the host on which TTF runs supports seven other sites as well, it's entirely possible that the system administrator changed something in the Apache configuration in the interest of one of these other sites that had a deleterious effect on this site.  Not only is this scenario feasible, it's the one I'd put my money on if anyone wants to make book.

ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on May 02, 2010, 07:58AM
Just for grins, let's take this suggestion and try to load another page.  Do you get the same error if you try to access, say:

> http://tromboneforum.org/meetthestaff.php

Did that (native BB browser), got the 403 error again.  Image

ttf_Orestes

Post by ttf_Orestes »

Quote from: tbone62 on May 02, 2010, 09:23AMDid that (native BB browser), got the 403 error again.  Image

I did also. Image
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

I installed opera mini on my blackberry 8520 today and was able to log onto the forum sucessfully, whereas, I could not do that using the native browser on the black berry.

The easiest way I got to the forum was to click on the reply link from a PM sent to me, and then choose the opera mini as the browser. it then asked me for my username and password, and all joy after that!

FWIW

Dusty

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

it shouldn't be that difficult.  is anyone working on resolving the issue? 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: D Gibson on May 22, 2010, 09:17AMit shouldn't be that difficult.  is anyone working on resolving the issue? 

The only one who has access to the part of the Forum that addresses this problem is Richard Byrd.

And we haven't heard any progress reports lately, or we'd pass any information along.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I installed Opera Mini 10 for Keyboard on my Motorola Q9 phone.  I have Verizon Wireless.  Don't know the IP address my phone gave, but I was able to log into the Forum and browse.  Opera Mini is much nicer than Internet Explorer.

I tried to post a message, but the phone would only let me type 1 sentence and then refused to send it.  I think this is more a local problem than a Forum problem.
ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

I can pretty much do whatever I want to do on the Trombone Forum using my BlackBerry as long as I access it via Opera Mini.  I cannot access it via a "regular" browser from the BlackBerry.  It still seems to be some sort of issue with the BlackBerry being recognized as such by TTF or something peculiar to TTF.  I say this because the Open Horn and one or two other forums I visit from time to time use the same kind of software as TTF (SMF software), and I am easily able to access them with the native BlackBerry software that came installed on my BlackBerry, rather than having to utilize Opera Mini, which is essentially a work-around. 
ttf_Thomas Matta

Post by ttf_Thomas Matta »

So - the underlying software for TTF would have to first be upgraded/updated before an iPhone app would be possible?

While web surfing (and access to TTF) is pretty reliable on my iPhone 3GS, I am certain my visits to TTF would increase 10-fold if there were a good iPhone app available. Facebook and Yelp are great on the iPhone - I visit them both while away from my desktop....Those are the 2 "social" I use most on my phone.

I'm just sayin'!!!!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: tbone62 on May 28, 2010, 07:11PMI can pretty much do whatever I want to do on the Trombone Forum using my BlackBerry as long as I access it via Opera Mini.  I cannot access it via a "regular" browser from the BlackBerry.  It still seems to be some sort of issue with the BlackBerry being recognized as such by TTF or something peculiar to TTF.  I say this because the Open Horn and one or two other forums I visit from time to time use the same kind of software as TTF (SMF software), and I am easily able to access them with the native BlackBerry software that came installed on my BlackBerry, rather than having to utilize Opera Mini, which is essentially a work-around. 

i tried the opera mini with my blackberry via tmobile....still no go.
ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Quote from: D Gibson on Jul 11, 2010, 09:47AMi tried the opera mini with my blackberry via tmobile....still no go.

Hmmm.... Well, I just don't know what it's going to take to get this fixed. TTF was working on my BlackBerry (with Verizon) but last time I tried it, it more or less locked up and wouldn't allow me to do anything.  That could just be an issue with my phone.  I haven't tried it again since that happened. 

Maybe one of these days the TTF software will be updated so it will allow easier access via mobile devices.  There are other reasons it needs an upgrade as well, but that one seems to cause the most inconvenience to the widest cross-section of TTF members at the moment. 
ttf_Orestes

Post by ttf_Orestes »

I recently upgraded from my Blackberry Curve 8330 to a Blackberry Bold 9650 which is a much more robust unit. However, the Opera Mini didn't work on that at all when I tried it. Like Alea, it just froze up. I guess that I'm just stuck. I have a hope that the TTF will be upgraded, but that hope is gradually fading.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Entered with a Verizon Wireless Droid
ttf_Orestes

Post by ttf_Orestes »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 10, 2010, 12:08PMEntered with a Verizon Wireless Droid
Well, ninner, ninner ninner! Image Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Hey!  I was at my local Verizon Wireless store and used the demo to log in.

Worked much better than my Motorola Q9, where I could read but not post.

We are looking to see what works and what doesn't.

Personally, I didn't like the Droid at all.

In fact, what I did was to downgrade from the Q9 to a "dumb" phone and got a wireless adapter for my laptop that lets me run DSL from the Verizon Wireless signal.  Same money, but now I get a more reliable connection.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I upgraded my Blackberry 9650 to OS 6 (unofficially). It let me connect in the native browser, so maybe when carriers push OS 6 to capable phones it'll work.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

i just logged in on my BB for the first time EVER.  something has changed, to be sure.
ttf_Orestes

Post by ttf_Orestes »

Surprise! I upgraded my Blackberry Bold OS to version 6.0, with a much better browser function and lo and behold I was able to log on to TTF!! will wonders never cease. (Blackberry must not be using a proxy server now.)
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I can only log in via a wireless connection. 3G won't work.
ttf_Orestes

Post by ttf_Orestes »

Quote from: D Gibson on Jan 26, 2011, 06:00PMI can only log in via a wireless connection. 3G won't work.

Mine actually works with both. Thank heaven.
ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

My BlackBerry is a 9630, so I think I'm still out of luck.  Image
ttf_JSBassTrb

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Just purchased the HTC inspire 4G. On at&t. TTF works excellent. Very smooth.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My BB Bold works only through a wifi connection.
ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

I now have a DroidX and the Forum works well on it. 
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

My Blackberry gets the access denied message when I try to go to the homepage. However, by googling something that is relevant, I get some hits from the tromboneforum.org other pages, which I can open easily, scroll to the bottom, click on the up one level as many times as needed, scroll to the bottom and login. Presto!
Then add the bookmark, there you go!

ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

I am able to post too!!
ttf_JSBassTrb

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Is this how you must access it from 3G for blackberry?
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

I have the 8520 with t-mobile. I'm not on 3g or 4g imho. Image

ttf_Mahlerbone

Post by ttf_Mahlerbone »

I just upgraded to the iPhone 4S. I can view the trombone forum via wifi, but I'm getting the FORBIDDEN message when trying to access via cellular network.  I have AT&T, if that means anything.

On my iPhone 4 I had no trouble at all.
ttf_JSBassTrb

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Quote from: Mahlerbone on Jun 03, 2012, 02:34PMI just upgraded to the iPhone 4S. I can view the trombone forum via wifi, but I'm getting the FORBIDDEN message when trying to access via cellular network.  I have AT&T, if that means anything.

On my iPhone 4 I had no trouble at all.
Same here!

It was working up until two days ago then I got the forbidden message. I'm on the iPhone 4.
ttf_gbedinger

Post by ttf_gbedinger »

I got the forbidden message with a 3GS.
ttf_JSBassTrb

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Working fine on an iPad on wifi however.
ttf_Mahlerbone

Post by ttf_Mahlerbone »

Quote from: JSBassTrb on Jun 03, 2012, 03:12PMWorking fine on an iPad on wifi however.

Me too

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: JSBassTrb on Jun 03, 2012, 03:10PMSame here!

It was working up until two days ago then I got the forbidden message. I'm on the iPhone 4.
Same for me AT&T Atrix.

You can get through if you use Proxify.com
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I've described how I was suddenly unable to get access from the work computer. This was several years ago and I was so used to it that I'd stopped checking. However, now, I again have access from work! It's a bit of an odd view, with some text overlaying the page and no drop-downs, but there it is. Weird.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I was at a location away from my normal haunts and found a "free" WiFi connection.  Worked for most of the things I normally connect to, but not TTF.  I'm sure there are other sites banned as well.

My suspicion is that we got on somebody's "banned" list when we were having a problem with a spammer and once you get on you can't get off.  It's especially frustrating when you have no idea who set up the ban so you can appeal the decision.
ttf_nhtrombone

Post by ttf_nhtrombone »

Been having on and off issues with my iPhone 4 over 3G. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I get the forbidden message. FWIW, I'm using the "mobile" version of the forum.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 04, 2012, 02:42AMMy suspicion is that we got on somebody's "banned" list when we were having a problem with a spammer and once you get on you can't get off.  It's especially frustrating when you have no idea who set up the ban so you can appeal the decision.
There are community lists that identify suspicious IPs.  You can get off those, but you do have to request a review.

I'm not sure that is the issue, however.  It seems as if the TTF server (or host site) is intermittently rejecting a large percentage of the Internet.  I would be more suspicious of a router configuration problem.

Return to “Technology”