Delfeayo Marsalis

ttf_ModernJazzTrombonist

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_ModernJazzTrombonist »

Quote from: sonicsilver on Mar 09, 2017, 03:46PM
Since Micheal Dease has posted, I thought I'd point out that his playing is super-good in the areas where I've criticised Delfeayo.

Please know that people replying to a post in no way should lead the post off topic.  This is a thread about Delfeayo Marsalis, not about comparing Delfeayo Marsalis to everyone who posts an opinion of him (good or bad).

Following the logic of comparing Delfeayo to people who have posted on this thread --

Sonic Silver, you have posted a lot on this thread.

So....in the same logic you are using to keep the comparison games going ("Because Dease posted, I'll compare him to Delf") --

Don't you have a clip of YOUR OWN playing we can compare and contrast with Delfeayo's?????

Maybe a track from your last record?

as Katt Williams says,

"It's ok...I'll wait."

And you seem to have notice Dease posted, but not replied to a single word the brutha said...

Maybe you were in the studio recording a few choruses of rhythm changes for us Image

Fingers crossed. 

ttf_sonicsilver

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Quote from: ModernJazzTrombonist on Mar 10, 2017, 07:35AM
Don't you have a clip of YOUR OWN playing we can compare and contrast with Delfeayo's?????

I'll be away for a week but when I get back I'll try my best to entertain you with a couple of laps around Rhythm.

Is there a prize, and how do we decide if I've won it or not?
ttf_Geezerhorn

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: sonicsilver on Mar 11, 2017, 07:01AMI'll be away for a week but when I get back I'll try my best to entertain you with a couple of laps around Rhythm.

Is there a prize, and how do we decide if I've won it or not?

You'll know if you won, because there won't be any comments made.  Image That's how it works on TTF. Very, very few people agree to something good, but just state something that is controversial...

lol

...Geezer
ttf_ModernJazzTrombonist

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_ModernJazzTrombonist »

you'll know if you've won because all the cats reading this thread will contact you to start sending you on the gigs they can't make, and once you break out on the scene, maybe you'll get to play with the greatest jazz drummers of all time...and maybe you'll be recognized as NEA Jazz Master...and maybe the ITA will award you with a performing spot to close jazz night at an upcoming festival...

THEN you'll know...

just be sure to put the track on a new thread...maybe call it "Sonic Silver". 

This thread is not about YOU, nor is the proper place to submit performances for in depth reviews of yourself or other artists.

As for their being a prize - this is so not about competition...

But that doesn't mean you won't be famous when this is all said and done.

ttf_ssking2b

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

Quote from: growlerbox on Mar 09, 2017, 10:08AMNo.  If I'm understanding Mr Dease correctly, it's a Cat Anderson technique intended, at least in its original form, to help develop high range on trumpet.

So, I'm just dying to ask...did you develop a high range on trumpet?
ttf_growlerbox

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Quote from: ssking2b on Mar 17, 2017, 01:25PMSo, I'm just dying to ask...did you develop a high range on trumpet?

No, I did not.  I don't play trumpet much anymore.
ttf_Piano man

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_Piano man »

DM and Carl Fontana don't really play enough alike to compare them, any more than Miles and Louie. They trade in a different currency. If you judge Miles by how good of a Louie he was, you might not think he was worth listening to. You could find that one phrase where Miles started late after a breath, almost for sure, or where he used pitch creatively, or where he chipped a note, and it would surely prove something, and by all means give the time stamp to prove you're right.

Maybe this is peculiar to trombone, because we play such a demanding and difficult instrument, so we're tempted to artificially elevate the technical aspects of playing onto some sort of pedestal over and above art. I wonder if you could go on the piano forum and hear side-by-side comparisons of Monk and Oscar Peterson each playing the same changes, designed to "prove" that one or the other wasn't very good.
ttf_Graham Martin

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: Piano man on Mar 17, 2017, 04:52PMDM and Carl Fontana don't really play enough alike to compare them, any more than Miles and Louie. They trade in a different currency. If you judge Miles by how good of a Louie he was, you might not think he was worth listening to. You could find that one phrase where Miles started late after a breath, almost for sure, or where he used pitch creatively, or where he chipped a note, and it would surely prove something, and by all means give the time stamp to prove you're right.

Maybe this is peculiar to trombone, because we play such a demanding and difficult instrument, so we're tempted to artificially elevate the technical aspects of playing onto some sort of pedestal over and above art. I wonder if you could go on the piano forum and hear side-by-side comparisons of Monk and Oscar Peterson each playing the same changes, designed to "prove" that one or the other wasn't very good.

On comparing Miles with Louis, it should be noted that Miles once said he never played anything that Louis had not already played. Image But that is just a bit of fun and your statement is correct.

I particularly wanted to agree with you on your point that I have changed to a red colour in your post. Unfortunately, it happens a lot on this forum that people elevate the importance of technical aspects used by some trombone improvisers. What they should really be looking at is the improvisers ability to melodically express his own personality in a particular sub-genre of jazz and hold the listener spellbound wanting to know where the solo is going to end up. Image   
ttf_sabutin

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Mar 17, 2017, 07:15PMOn comparing Miles with Louis, it should be noted that Miles once said he never played anything that Louis had not already played.

---snip---
I suggest that anyone who thinks Miles was kidding should go listen to the duet that Louis did w/Fatha Hines. Weatherbird. 1928. It is as simultaneously as free and as disciplined as anything the Miles/Herbie/Tony Williams/Ron Carter/Wayne Shorter quintet ever played. Total improvisation, total joy. The very beginning of real jazz. Pure improvisation, pure talent.

S.
ttf_sabutin

Delfeayo Marsalis

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Mar 17, 2017, 07:15PMOn comparing Miles with Louis, it should be noted that Miles once said he never played anything that Louis had not already played.

---snip---
I suggest that anyone who thinks Miles was kidding should go listen to the duet that Louis did w/Fatha Hines. Weatherbird. 1928. It is as simultaneously as free and as disciplined as anything the Miles/Herbie/Tony Williams/Ron Carter/Wayne Shorter quintet ever played. Total improvisation, total joy. The very beginning of real jazz. Pure improvisation, pure talent.

S.

Return to “Trombonists”