King 2B and Conn 6H tuning slide swap

ttf_DaveAshley

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I'm sure this has been discovered before, but last night I discovered it for myself:

Conn 6H and King 2B tuning slides can be swapped (at least mine can, without any resistance - They fit as if they were made to do so)

I don't like the 2B slide on the 6H, but the 6H slide on the 2B is pretty cool.

Who knew??!?  Image
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Oh... I'm going to have fun with this!  Good info!  Image
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

What did it do as far as feel and sound? 
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: SKAzz on Nov 20, 2015, 01:26PMWhat did it do as far as feel and sound? 

Turned it into KingConn.... a real monster  Image Image Image Chris Stearn
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: blast on Nov 21, 2015, 01:43AMTurned it into KingConn.... a real monster  Image Image Image Chris Stearn

hehehehe  (SMH)

-Andy in OKC
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: blast on Nov 21, 2015, 01:43AMTurned it into KingConn.... a real monster  Image Image Image Chris Stearn

I have also discoverd the power of a King-Conn monster  Image

I'm not switching tuningslides. I'm switching THE slides on those bones.

My King-Conn monster is a 1934 silver 6h bell combined with a King 2b Silver Sonic slide with a Conn reciever.

The 2b slide was rebuilt to matched a 1934 King 2b Silver Tone bell. The male reciever on the slide is a Conn part which means I can have fun with that 2B dual bore slide and try it with a lot of Conn horns.

It happens to be a very interesting combination with the 6h bell. It has a lot of power and edge and gives a "fat" solo voice suitable for traditional big band playing. Intonation is a bit different but can be learned, otherwise it just happens to be a great combination soundwise.

I did try the Silver Tone 2b bell with the heavy 6h slide and this also works but gives a very massive sound in the other end of the spectra. Not the edge and power I'm after and the heavy slide makes it a little slower in fast passages. It also responds slow.

So I'm doing a similar thing as the OP but switching the slides instead. I found that the 6h bell and the 2b dual bore slide work well together.

/Tom

ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I had a 3B hand slide and tuning slide crook installed on a 6H a few years ago. It really opened up a horn that for me plays very very tight
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I had a 3B hand slide and tuning slide crook installed on a 6H a few years ago. It really opened up a horn that for me plays very very tight

Return to “Instruments”