Instruments stolen from bandroom - South West England

ttf_Roebird37

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

This week thieves broke into Weston Brass' bandroom (Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset)and stole various instruments, most of which are used by the kids in our training band.
I know there are a few people on this forum local to me, please let me know if you spot any of this stuff while browsing ebay or gumtree. 

B&H Flugel Horn serial no 478505.
Besson Flugel serial no 002783.
Barrats horn/baritone serial no 57312.
Imperial Trombone serial no 619724.
Emperor Trombone serial no 617361.
Eb sop Bach serial no 751166.
Eb sop B&H serial no 68154.
Bb cornet B&H sovereign serial no 807376.
Bb cornet Getzen Elkhonr E1599.
Bb cornet Blessing 516621.
Bb cornet Corton 143611.
Bb cornet LaFleur 29053.
Bb cornet Besson International 492805.
These instruments are all in cases.

We also lost an EEb bass, which one of our main band members left in the bandroom, which will be very sorely missed.  This is more easily identifiable, and will probably generate a bit more interest if advertised.

A silver plated Besson Sovereign EEb bass, serial number 848549. Probably with a Wick 1L mouthpiece, but no case.
The instrument can be identified by a detached stay/support between the top bend and the bell, where there is a piece of card inserted to prevent it vibrating.

ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Sad news, Sam.
Will keep eyes and ears open and check in local shops but I suspect Bristol might be a place to get rid of them.

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

They should really bring back public flogging.
ttf_Roebird37

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Mar 27, 2016, 08:01AMSad news, Sam.
Will keep eyes and ears open and check in local shops but I suspect Bristol might be a place to get rid of them.

Cheers

Stewbones

Thanks Stewart.  It's pretty gutting, the only good news was that having found the store of training instruments they must have thought they'd got it all.  If they'd taken a moment to bash off one more padlock, they'd have had all our spare instruments for the main band too.

I hope that natural justice prevails, and the burglars' hands are chewed off by rabid raccoons.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Gonna "sticky" this.  Hope you find the goods.
ttf_Roebird37

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Thanks very much Bruce.

Now I've simmered down a bit, I realise that the chances of the burglars hands being chewed off by rabid raccoons are quite slim, given the lack of both raccoons and rabies here in England.  Never mind.

ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Mar 28, 2016, 07:26AMThanks very much Bruce.

Now I've simmered down a bit, I realise that the chances of the burglars hands being chewed off by rabid raccoons are quite slim, given the lack of both raccoons and rabies here in England.  Never mind.
Maybe "enraged stoats" rather than "rabid racoons"?
ttf_eightyeightH

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

Porton Down has stocks of rabies and other viruses, if you know the right people to ask; or I could grab a fox next time I'm in France. Keeping the rabid animal alive is the tricky bit.

J/K, lol, etc... But I'll keep my eyes and ears open in the East Midlands.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have a couple of raccoons you could have, but shipping them in the garbage can (dust bin for you English) they are currently raiding may be a bit tricky. Image
ttf_Roebird37

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Update - I don't have all the details, but four of these instruments have been discovered this week by police in a Cash Converters shop in North Bristol.  The tuba was amongst them, I don't know about the other three.

The shop bought all four instruments for £170 (GBP) and apparently didn't think that was in any way suspect.  Image

It's just a reminder for any of the Somerset and Bristol people to keep an eye out again for the remaining instruments.  Of course the police are going to try to trace the seller, but I don't know how robust the records of these Cash Converter places are.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Some years ago friend of mine had his conn nicked as the hand was packing up after an outdoor performance in a Aberdeen.  It appeared at cash converters very soon after.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Some years ago friend of mine had his conn nicked as the hand was packing up after an outdoor performance in a Aberdeen.  It appeared at cash converters very soon after.

Return to “Instruments”