USB Mic?

ttf_Xenol

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_Xenol »

Hi guys. I like to make the occasional little recording for youtube of me playing various instruments (this is the most recent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG0jO1vn64) partly because it is fun, but also because I find it's a good way for me to review and improve my tuning. Up until now I've been using a blue snowball, which I love the quality (and durability) of, however it has one major flaw - It clips WAY too easily. Even when I've selected mode 2 which is supposed to be for noisy use, I have to position it about 7 feet away to be able to get safe recordings at mf!

I know I'm never going to get perfection with a USB mic, but I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of using conventional mics for what is essentially a bit of fun. Is there something with a better upper-limit?

Thanks,
Sam.
ttf_robcat2075

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I don't have a clipping problem with my Samson Q1U, but I'm inclined to think there's something not set right in your recording software.

Have you tried these system setting things?
ttf_ddickerson

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Here is a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3rbPaJgTWA

After watching this review, I'm inclined to believe that your settings in your recording software is causing the clipping.

The reviewer demonstrated that by talking about 6" away from the mic, the sound was down quite a bit, so even in position 1 (with no 10db attenuation), the sound was no where near at a clipping level.

I'm thinking the only way to make this mic clip with your trombone is to put the mic almost completely in the bell and play loud.

Good luck! It looks like a very good mic.

ttf_Xenol

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_Xenol »

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to have an experiment with garage band when I get home and see if I can fix the issue. I am worried that I may have damaged the mic in some way due to my... less than careful handling which might be causing the issue. I don't know.
ttf_ddickerson

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Digital recording always has a bigger risk of overdriving. I always record digitally at significantly lower levels than I did with analog.
recording.

You can always bring the level up in the mix to the desired level. But you can't fix too hot clipping.

ttf_Pre59

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

ttf_MikeBMiller

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Speaking of USB mics, what is a good one to use for recording yourself in a home setting for less than $100? I have been using a Tascan DR05 to try to make some audition recordings and I don't feel like I am getting the sound I need with that system. Then again, it could be the player.
ttf_robcat2075

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

btw, I'll note that Audacity has a "clip fix" effect that can sometimes rescue a recording.
ttf_JBledsoe

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Jan 03, 2017, 05:53PMSpeaking of USB mics, what is a good one to use for recording yourself in a home setting for less than $100? I have been using a Tascan DR05 to try to make some audition recordings and I don't feel like I am getting the sound I need with that system. Then again, it could be the player.

You're pretty limited on less than 100 bucks for any quality. There's a 100 dollar rule, that's basically just anything over a hundred bucks will be acceptable. You could try the Samson CO3U which have pretty good reviews for the price point. The CO3U also has a multiple pickup patterns, which can definitely be a valuable versatility.
ttf_JBledsoe

USB Mic?

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Jan 03, 2017, 05:53PMSpeaking of USB mics, what is a good one to use for recording yourself in a home setting for less than $100? I have been using a Tascan DR05 to try to make some audition recordings and I don't feel like I am getting the sound I need with that system. Then again, it could be the player.

You're pretty limited on less than 100 bucks for any quality. There's a 100 dollar rule, that's basically just anything over a hundred bucks will be acceptable. You could try the Samson CO3U which have pretty good reviews for the price point. The CO3U also has a multiple pickup patterns, which can definitely be a valuable versatility.

Return to “Technology”