Famous Jazz Trombonists - How many can you name?

ttf_slidelock

Post by ttf_slidelock »

Famous Jazz Trombonists!

http://www.jazzcowbell.com/single-post/2016/11/01/Famous-Jazz-Trombonists

Who do you think deserves to be on this list?
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

In my opinion one needs to study the whole history of jazz trombone playing and look at a much larger list. My suggestions - alphabetical:

John Allred (1962)
Ray Anderson (1952)
David Baker (1931-2016)
Chris Barber (1930)
Bob Brookmeyer (valve trombone), (1929-2011)
Lawrence Brown (1907–1988)
George Brunies (1902–1974)
George Chisholm (1915–1997)
Jimmy Cleveland (1926-2008)
Cutty Cutshall (1911-1968)
Willie Dennis (1926-1965)
Vic Dickenson (1906–1984)
Tommy Dorsey (1905–1956)
Edwin "Daddy" Edwards (1891-1963)
Bob Envoldson (1920-2005)
Carl Fontana (1928–2003)
Curtis Fuller (1934)
Tyree Glenn (1912-1974)
Brad Gowans (1903-1954)
Bennie Green (1923–1977)
Urbie Green (1928)
Al Grey (1925–2000)
Slide Hampton (1932)
Bill Harris (1916–1973)
Bob Havens (1930)
J. C. Higginbotham (1906–1973)
Pee Wee Hunt (1907–1979)
Jack Jenny (1910-1945)
J. J. Johnson (1924–2001)
Jimmy Knepper (1927–2003)
Don Lusher (1923-2006)
George Masso (1926)
Lou McGarity (1917-1971)
Glenn Miller (1904–1944)
Miff Mole (1898–1961)
Benny Morton (1907-1985)
Turk Murphy (1915-1987)
Tricky Sam Nanton (1904–1946)
Louis Nelson (1902-1990)
Dick Nash (1928)
Kid Ory (1886–1973)
Jim Robinson (1892-1976)
Frank Rosolino (1926-1978)
Jack Teagarden (1905–1964)
Juan Tizol (valve trombone) (1900–1984)
Bill Watrous (1939)
Dicky Wells (1907–1985)
Roy Williams (1937)
Phil Wilson (1937)
Kai Winding (1922–1983)
Britt Woodman (1920-2000)
Trummy Young (1912-1984)

ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

And that's just off the top of his head!
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

And it is nowhere near an exhaustive list...  There have been SO many great trombonists - many of whom were famous in their day but not remembered by many today. 
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

The List is based upon what?

...Geezer
ttf_Graham Martin

'Famous' Jazz Trombonists, as requested by the OP. I take that to mean prominent, famed or popular amongst jazz aficionados - especially jazz trombone aficionados. Perhaps not well known to the general public or those that have not studied their jazz history and listened to the necessary recordings. I have never thought you can select just three or four players and from that develop the correct jazz language. You have to listen to an extensive list and from that develop your own jazz playing personality and style.

Listening to (and watching if possible) the technique used is also a big part of the jazz learning process.

The website referred to said more or less the same thing: "It's incredibly important for the modern Jazz Musician to become acquainted to and listen to the best players of their respective instruments. In fact, the best way to improve your improvisational ability is to listen to other jazz musicians." However, what followed was a very limited list of quite contemporary jazz trombonists and did not cover the history and different styles within jazz.  
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Whaddya have against Fred Beckett, Julian Priester, and Grachan Moncur III?

(Don't answer that, I'm just being dumb.)
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jan 31, 2017, 01:28PM'Famous' Jazz Trombonists, as requested by the OP. I take that to mean prominent, famed or popular amongst jazz aficionados - especially jazz trombone aficionados. Perhaps not well known to the general public or those that have not studied their jazz history and listened to the necessary recordings. I have never thought you can select just three or four players and from that develop the correct jazz language. You have to listen to an extensive list and from that develop your own jazz playing personality and style.

Listening to (and watching if possible) the technique used is also a big part of the jazz learning process.

The website referred to said more or less the same thing: "It's incredibly important for the modern Jazz Musician to become acquainted to and listen to the best players of their respective instruments. In fact, the best way to improve your improvisational ability is to listen to other jazz musicians." However, what followed was a very limited list of quite contemporary jazz trombonists and did not cover the history and different styles within jazz.  

Okay. IOW's - subjective and what is in your world. When I want to know the top 100 Doo-Wop or Classic Pop songs of all time, I consult Billboard. As far as I am aware, there is no Billboard to consult for a list of top 100 jazz trombone players. If there were, then names would be dropped from and added to your list.

A quick scan of your list shows you have not included:

Paul The Trombonist
Bugs Beddow
Jiggs Whigham
Harold Betters
Buddy Morrow
Jim Pugh
Randy Purcell
Sammy Nestico
Bob McChesney
Wycliff Gordon - edit (was included)
Bob Riddle
Delfeayo Marsalis
Ira Nepus
David Steinmyer
Matty Shiner
Roy Agee
Tommy Turk
Nick Veyenas
Si Zentner
James Morrison - edit - now included

Welcome to my world. Lol

And I guess this might precipitate a discussion on just what IS jazz. As far as I am concerned, there are two broad (very broad) classifications of music; Classical and jazz. So it's an either/or definition for me.

In my defense, since you listed Glenn Miller - your definition of "jazz" is about as broad as mine, but perhaps not as inclusive. And since there is no album sales source to examine, one list is as good as another, per personal preference - as long as they are all trombone players. lol

...Geezer
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Geez,

He got Wycliff covered, I believe so. I would put there James Morisson, though he is multi-instrumentalist.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Thanks! Correction made.

-Edit-  I guess I should also mention that just because a few on my list have either very little or no recordings available, you just have to have either heard them play live or otherwise know from very reliable sources that they are most noteworthy, if not widely known.

So perhaps each of us has a private list of jazz trombone players we like that is somewhat different from our public (aka known) list.

...Geezer
ttf_Graham Martin

I very much agreed with greenbean's post which said, "And it(my list) is nowhere near an exhaustive list..." It was just most of my favourites whom I felt had contributed something to the jazz language. I missed quite a few because, like Geezer says, there is no master list to draw from. Actually, it is a good start for TTF to develop such a list as a project. Surely we should have such a list as the top trombone forum in the world?

Anyway, the fact that I changed the definition of what the OP was seeking is the reason that some of the later suggestions were not on my list.

Sammy Nestico, for instance, is my favourite arranger and also famous in that role. But was he an influential jazz trombonist as far as playing is concerned?

Even though he is an Aussie, I crossed James Morrison off my list because he is much more famous as a jazz trumpet player. I have just about all his recordings but the only thing that influences me about his trombone playing is his selection of material to play and record. I do stress that he (along with brother John) has done wonderfully well in keeping the interest in jazz high in Australia, especially with the youngsters, and he even has his own music University. So maybe he does qualify with regard to the original OP request.

Sad I missed Dave Steinmeyer because he has been a big influence on my playing (or perhaps the material I choose to play) in recent years. I have TTF to thank for bringing Dave into my trombone world.

In seeking other lists from which to draw the OP's (and ours!), I would recommend the following websites:

Trombone Page of the World:
http://www.trombone-usa.com/index.htm

List of jazz trombonists for whom Wikipedia has articles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_trombonists

Wikipedia - Category:American jazz trombonists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_jazz_trombonists

Ranker  Greatest Jazz Trombonists of All Time:
http://www.ranker.com/list/greatest-jazz-trombonists-of-all-time/ranker-music

Ranker  Famous Jazz Trombonists:
http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-jazz-trombonists/stevie-wonder-on-a-keytar

DigitalDreamDoor  100 Greatest Jazz Trombonists:
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazztromb.html

TTF Previous attempts:
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=55471.0
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=89861.0

Trombone teaching tips list:
http://jazztromboneteachingtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/JazzTromboneTeachingTips-BoneList.pdf

There are others...... Image

Sorry, but cannot agree with Geezer's definition of 'jazz'. Image

ttf_Malec Heermans

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

It's "Wycliffe" with an "e".

I think Grah's list is pretty good. One thing that's obvious, thanks to the painstaking dob/dod info, is that of the 52 entries only 11 are still alive. Some of those are retired. To freshen things up, as it were, I would then add:

Michael Dease
Josh Roseman
Marshall Gilkes
Andy Hunter
David Gibson
Conrad Herwig
Jacob Garchik
Ryan Keberle

There are a few there that may not fit into the traditional span-spang-a-lang jazz thing, but deserve mention for their contribution to American improvised music - you know, jazz. I consider this a short list of the heavy hitters (apologies if I left you out!), but in my world you are likely to come across another ten or fifteen who are working at the absolute apex of the genre on any given night. For instance check out Mike Fahie TEARING IT UP on this Dan Pugach Nonet gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwbsFblXJa8

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: Malec Heermans on Feb 01, 2017, 02:52PMIt's "Wycliffe" with an "e".
Holy s**t!!! Image Grammar police never sleeps. Image
ttf_Malec Heermans

Quote from: bonenick on Feb 01, 2017, 03:05PMHoly s**t!!! Image Grammar police never sleeps. Image

It's not grammar, it's spelling.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Whatever Image Grammar Police is a generalisation. Anyway, I am not here to argue about grammar and spelling. I first saw WycliffE Gordon in a youtube recording of a Gansch&Roses or maybe Mnozil Brass pub afterparty pub gig, few years ago. Back then, I didn't think of taking the trombone. He is an awesome player, more recently I tried to mimick some of his licks, not an easy task for 2-3 months of trombone playing experience. Many of the names I see here are still virtually unknown to me, but WG is not one of them.
ttf_slidelock

Post by ttf_slidelock »

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I can't pretend to be an expert in this subject. I've only been a Jazz Trombonist for seven years. The players I've included on my list are those that I have personally listened to for one reason or another, and I have a bias towards funk players.

I wanted to include some more, but it's hard to find video of some players. I hope that I covered a very basic list for the beginning trombonist to to use as a tool of discovery.

Please let me know if there are outstanding individuals I have missed, and tell me a bit about them. I will add them to the list and then credit you!
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

A guy who played with MF and has had a stellar career since

Steve Wiest

Also the late Randy Purcell
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: vegasbound on Feb 02, 2017, 03:12AMA guy who played with MF and has had a stellar career since

Steve Wiest

Also the late Randy Purcell

I included Randy on my list. He used to play with Maynard Ferguson. Randy passed way too young. I know of only a couple YouTube videos showing his remarkable abilities. Do you have another source?

...Geezer 
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Feb 02, 2017, 04:53AMI included Randy on my list. He used to play with Maynard Ferguson. Randy passed way too young. I know of only a couple YouTube videos showing his remarkable abilities. Do you have another source?

...Geezer 

My eye must have skipped hs name on your list....old age I guess! there are as you say a couple of clips on you tube with the Boss, and also the several album's he played on in my collection! 
ttf_John Thomas

Post by ttf_John Thomas »

I will add a couple that were in the Airmen of Note.

Our own Doug Elliot, great jazz player as well as mouthpiece maker.

Joe Jackson who is a great player and led the Airmen of Note for several years.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Feb 01, 2017, 02:43PMI very much agreed with greenbean's post which said, "And it(my list) is nowhere near an exhaustive list..." It was just most of my favourites whom I felt had contributed something to the jazz language. I missed quite a few because, like Geezer says, there is no master list to draw from. Actually, it is a good start for TTF to develop such a list as a project. Surely we should have such a list as the top trombone forum in the world?

Anyway, the fact that I changed the definition of what the OP was seeking is the reason that some of the later suggestions were not on my list.

Sammy Nestico, for instance, is my favourite arranger and also famous in that role. But was he an influential jazz trombonist as far as playing is concerned?

Even though he is an Aussie, I crossed James Morrison off my list because he is much more famous as a jazz trumpet player. I have just about all his recordings but the only thing that influences me about his trombone playing is his selection of material to play and record. I do stress that he (along with brother John) has done wonderfully well in keeping the interest in jazz high in Australia, especially with the youngsters, and he even has his own music University. So maybe he does qualify with regard to the original OP request.

Sad I missed Dave Steinmeyer because he has been a big influence on my playing (or perhaps the material I choose to play) in recent years. I have TTF to thank for bringing Dave into my trombone world.

In seeking other lists from which to draw the OP's (and ours!), I would recommend the following websites:

Trombone Page of the World:
http://www.trombone-usa.com/index.htm

List of jazz trombonists for whom Wikipedia has articles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_trombonists

Wikipedia - Category:American jazz trombonists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_jazz_trombonists

Ranker  Greatest Jazz Trombonists of All Time:
http://www.ranker.com/list/greatest-jazz-trombonists-of-all-time/ranker-music

Ranker  Famous Jazz Trombonists:
http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-jazz-trombonists/stevie-wonder-on-a-keytar

DigitalDreamDoor  100 Greatest Jazz Trombonists:
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazztromb.html

TTF Previous attempts:
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=55471.0
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=89861.0

Trombone teaching tips list:
http://jazztromboneteachingtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/JazzTromboneTeachingTips-BoneList.pdf

There are others...... Image

Sorry, but cannot agree with Geezer's definition of 'jazz'. Image

Some interesting names on some of the sites. Still incomplete, however.

I did mention that my definition was broad. Perhaps a similar definition of jazz could be "that which is not classical".

I like to keep things simple and a simple test for any given song might be - is it cataloged? Aren't all classical compositions cataloged? Well, if they are and a given song is not, then it is probably not a classical piece and therefor jazz. According to my definition, the term "jazz" has a LOT of sub-categories; funk, bee-bop, marches, pop, blues, Dixieland, doo-wop, ballads, etc. Doesn't classical music have sub-categories as well; symphonic, operatic, etc. I realize my definition of jazz might not jive with the authoritative definition of jazz, but it works for me. 

In regards to whether a certain trombone player has been influential in jazz is also subjective. And just because one may have been MORE influential in - say - composing and/or arranging ought not to detract from his being on a list of influential jazz trombone players. Slide Hampton certainly has been influential in both regards. Perhaps Glenn Miller as well.

At any rate, it's a good discussion and some interesting information has come out of it.

...Geezer
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

Fred Wesley
Frank Rehak
Bart Varsolona
Tricky Lofton

There are so many...

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

John Fedchock, a fine player as well as a Grammy-nominated arranger.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

There may be some regional preferences involved in adding names to the list of all-time great jazz trombone players. I know it plays an extremely large role in my selections. It's what we know the best, what we are the most comfortable with, perhaps even what we identify with the most and it may be due in large part to a certain cultural anchor. Again, it is with me.

So perhaps a given player or set of players have had the most impact upon us as individuals and therefor we feel slighted if their names are not included, even though it may leave others to scratch their heads and wonder where those names came from.

But I believe a real value in seeing as long of a list of names as possible is to make us curious and want to at least try to find out more about them if we can. That's growth. It's sad, really, that for some names suggested, there simply are no known recordings - at least none available to the public. Perhaps there are some family 8mm movies or amateur reel-to-reel tape recordings, but no professionally-produced recordings for some.

Like it or not, social media - like Facebook and/or YouTube - just might be of benefit to regional musicians in putting their works out in public, whether they are "discovered" - as some have been - or not.

...Geezer
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

2 names I didnt see...maybe I skipped them again!

Mark Nightingale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ESpf1YYNI

Bart Van Lier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD1fqTD5yhw
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: bonenick on Feb 03, 2017, 07:08AMWhat about Andy Martin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZfbRGb8Qg8

I would LOVE to see what he has on his stand; all written out? I doubt it. Probably the basic melody line and chord changes. He's certainly not afraid to use the whole range of his horn, either!

...Geezer
ttf_Ormsby

Post by ttf_Ormsby »

This link has the most comprehensive list I've ever seen. It also lists bass trombonists separatley. Once  on the page scroll down a bit until you see the long list.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-351945.html
ttf_Malec Heermans

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Feb 03, 2017, 05:26AMThere may be some regional preferences involved in adding names to the list of all-time great jazz trombone players.

I thought about that when I posted. There is no question that there was regional and historical bias in my short list of additions.

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Feb 03, 2017, 05:26AMBut I believe a real value in seeing as long of a list of names as possible is to make us curious and want to at least try to find out more about them if we can. That's growth.

Absolutely! Like Tricky Lofton! Never heard of him, went to youtube and checked him out. Probably not someone I'll spend a lot of time listening to, but I believe in addressing the largest sample size possible when forming one's own taste. And that's what we are all doing from absolute beginners to the most advanced players is forming an idea about what we like. Whether we use that information as consumers or producers, or both, it is essential.

Andy Martin is absolutely tearing it up here, but am I the only one who had a difficult time listening to the way he's miced? Two different mics in different spots panned hard left and right. I hear what he's going for, but it's very uncomfortable for me to listen to. I ended up just panning the balance all the way right and found it much more enjoyable.
ttf_Malec Heermans

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Feb 03, 2017, 05:26AMThere may be some regional preferences involved in adding names to the list of all-time great jazz trombone players.

I thought about that when I posted. There is no question that there was regional and historical bias in my short list of additions.

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Feb 03, 2017, 05:26AMBut I believe a real value in seeing as long of a list of names as possible is to make us curious and want to at least try to find out more about them if we can. That's growth.

Absolutely! Like Tricky Lofton! Never heard of him, went to youtube and checked him out. Probably not someone I'll spend a lot of time listening to, but I believe in addressing the largest sample size possible when forming one's own taste. And that's what we are all doing from absolute beginners to the most advanced players is forming an idea about what we like. Whether we use that information as consumers or producers, or both, it is essential.

Andy Martin is absolutely tearing it up here, but am I the only one who had a difficult time listening to the way he's miced? Two different mics in different spots panned hard left and right. I hear what he's going for, but it's very uncomfortable for me to listen to. I ended up just panning the balance all the way right and found it much more enjoyable.

Return to “Trombonists”