Family Tree

ttf_Whitbey

Family Tree

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

My elderly Mother has the Family Tree software on an old abused computer. I got files copied. I want to get the info out of the back up file so I can save it in Excel or Word. How can I open this file so I can get the info out?

File name.
SSBACHUP.FBK.FBK.FBC
ttf_bonenick

Family Tree

Post by ttf_bonenick »

ttf_BGuttman

Family Tree

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Did she use some special Family Tree software?  If so you may need to get a copy of the software to even unparse the data; it's probably stored in a special format.

Some family tree software use variants of database software and if it's in dBase format Excel or Access can open it; although it may be tough to figure out exactly what you have.
ttf_SilverBone

Family Tree

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Looks to me like they are files from the Family Tree Maker program.  AFAIK, the database is a proprietary format, so you need a copy of FTM to open it.

Fortunately, one of your bone buddies (me) has a copy of that software.  If you want to send me the file, I'd be happy to open it for you.

The tricky part comes with your request to put the data in Excel format.  Genealogy data doesn't lend itself well to Excel format, and the FTM software doesn't have an Excel export.

Your choices are:

1) Export to GEDCOM format, which is PD and mostly human readable.  You can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEDCOM

There are free GEDCOM readers available.  See:

http://listoffreeware.com/best-free-gedcom-file-viewer-software-for-windows/

GEDCOM should be importable into any genealogy software you acquire.

2) I could create a report from the data in PDF format.  This would give you a human-readable chart, but you would not be able to import it into any computer program.  You could then convert the PDF file to Word format if you liked.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Family Tree

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

What Howard says: +1.  Send him your .FTM file, have him convert it to GEDCOM format for you, and then use just about any genealogy app available to open it.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Family Tree

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

What Howard says: +1.  Send him your .FTM file, have him convert it to GEDCOM format for you, and then use just about any genealogy app available to open it.

Return to “Technology”