Looking For A Mute Stand

ttf_Driswood

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I'm in need of a mute holder, either free standing, or attached to my music stand. Doing dance band & pit work, so I need room for a cup, straight, plunger & Harmon.

The Hercules looks good, but I've read bone mutes don't fit.

Mute Mate looks OK, but not sure how sturdy it is.

What do you guys use?

Thanks,

Jerry Walker
ttf_bonenick

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_bonenick »

ttf_RMTrombone

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

Also looking for a mute stand:
  • [li]Must be "rock solid" steady[/li][li]Must be quiet[/li][li]Should securely hold at least four mutes: Straight, Cup, Jo-Ral Bucket, Plunger[/li][li]Attach to a Manhasset music stand[/li][li]And of course facilitate fast mute changes[/li]
Thanks, Rich
ttf_timothy42b

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Buy cat scratch toy, buy self adhesive velcro, put velcro strips on each mute, slap mute on side of cat toy.

Alternatively, bring small steel object, glue magnets to each mute, slap mute on side of object. 

Wear pants with that hammer tube sleeve on the calf, slide steel strip down there, stick magneted mute to leg. 
ttf_afugate

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: timothy42b on Feb 04, 2017, 03:03PMBuy cat scratch toy, buy self adhesive velcro, put velcro strips on each mute, slap mute on side of cat toy.

Alternatively, bring small steel object, glue magnets to each mute, slap mute on side of object. 

Wear pants with that hammer tube sleeve on the calf, slide steel strip down there, stick magneted mute to leg. 

In pit work (not on stage), I've used a turned-over box and just set my mutes on that.  Makes them easy to grab and there's no fussing with trying to put them back into a holder or slide them onto something.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_bonenick

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Another possibility is just to get a calmp-on percussionist table.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=clamp+percussion+table
ttf_ssking2b

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

I have had great success with the mute mate.  However, holding the normal bucket might be out of its capabilities. It was made to hold the softone mute many players are substituting for the bucket.  I am using a Soulo mute instead of the bucket for the soft tone and it works great with the mute mate. I believe you would also have success with the easy bucket.

Mute mate for tenor bone so holds a full insult of bass trombone mutes just fine!

ttf_baileyman

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_baileyman »

If I were looking for one I would want it to attach the the side of the seat so I could reach the mutes super easy.  Currently I arrange them in the same way every time in between a pair of trombone stand legs, reach, grab, fit, and hold and replace with the left hand and the system works.  Having everything closer at hand is the only improvement I can think of, thus the idea of attaching to the seat. 

This link from above has such a rack arrangement:

http://www.kolberg.com/products/en_GB/152/group/870.html

which makes me think, maybe I'll give that a try. 
ttf_afugate

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: baileyman on Feb 06, 2017, 05:35AMIf I were looking for one I would want it to attach the the side of the seat so I could reach the mutes super easy. 

I use the box that way.  I slide it partially under the chair and have it extended to the left side.  Mutes go on that so I don't have to lean down to grab or replace when finished.  (Granted, I'm a rank amateur who has minimal pit experience compared to our heavy weight players.... Image )

--Andy in OKC
ttf_anonymous

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_anonymous »

http://www.hickeys.com/search.php?q=mute+stand

And a disclaimer - we make these stands for Hickey's.

Ray
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

I found this simple mute rack/holder on eBay. Holds two mutes and a spray bottle  Image
I have never used it. Might be worth a shot for someone looking for a simple mute holder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Made-Trombone-Mute-and-Bone-Water-Bottle-Music-Stand-Rack-Holder-Caddy-NOS-/111985761339?hash=item1a12df1c3b:g:YZcAAOSwn9lXJ9Wj

ttf_afugate

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: rltco on Feb 08, 2017, 05:59AMhttp://www.hickeys.com/search.php?q=mute+stand

And a disclaimer - we make these stands for Hickey's.

Ray

Ray,
which one(s)?  There are multiple shown.   Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_anonymous

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Torresdal TMS-1
ttf_Big Daddy K

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

I like the MUTE MATE. You can call the guy that makes them and he'll do any customization you'd like. Great folks and a very good product. I use mine constantly with:
Bucket
Straight
Solo Tone
Plunger
Cup

They are easily adjusted to however many or few you need on a particular gig.
ttf_afugate

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: rltco on Feb 09, 2017, 04:57AMTorresdal TMS-1

Thanks, Ray.  These look nice -- and useful.  Image

--Andy
ttf_hyperbolica

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Quote from: Big Daddy K on Feb 09, 2017, 09:27AMI like the MUTE MATE

Just ordered one of these. Its the only one of these that looks like it has a chance of working for bone mutes.

[update] Just got this in,  and it holds even bass bone cup mutes. Don't know why every trombone  player doesn't have one of these. Very sturdy and practical. Clamps onto stand,  chair,  instrument stand.

ttf_Driswood

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: Big Daddy K on Feb 09, 2017, 09:27AMI like the MUTE MATE. You can call the guy that makes them and he'll do any customization you'd like. Great folks and a very good product. I use mine constantly with:
Bucket
Straight
Solo Tone
Plunger
Cup

They are easily adjusted to however many or few you need on a particular gig.

Just got one last week. Will have my first chance to use it in a pit rehearsal today. Set it up on my stand at home, and works well.

Jerry Walker
ttf_ghmerrill

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_ghmerrill »

I use a length of 3" PVC pipe (cut to length depending on how high you want the mute to be in order to reach it easily) and a toilet flange to serve as a base.  I don't glue them together, so they can be packed in a bag more easily.  I paint 'em flat black.

Works like a charm.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I think the sound of mutes hitting a concrete floor is an essential part of any Broadway show.
ttf_Big Daddy K

Looking For A Mute Stand

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Feb 10, 2017, 05:52AMJust ordered one of these. Its the only one of these that looks like it has a chance of working for bone mutes.

[update] Just got this in,  and it holds even bass bone cup mutes. Don't know why every trombone  player doesn't have one of these. Very sturdy and practical. Clamps onto stand,  chair,  instrument stand.

My Mute Mate is the one piece of equipment (besides my horns!) that I cannot do without. Don't know how I played professionally for 40 yrs without it.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Looking For A Mute Stand

Quote from: ghmerrill on Apr 09, 2017, 05:47PMI use a length of 3" PVC pipe (cut to length depending on how high you want the mute to be in order to reach it easily) and a toilet flange to serve as a base.  I don't glue them together, so they can be packed in a bag more easily.  I paint 'em flat black.

Works like a charm.

IMO, home-made stuff can often be a lot more useful than store-bought stuff because you can tailor something you make to suit your own particular needs.  Image
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Looking For A Mute Stand

Quote from: ghmerrill on Apr 09, 2017, 05:47PMI use a length of 3" PVC pipe (cut to length depending on how high you want the mute to be in order to reach it easily) and a toilet flange to serve as a base.  I don't glue them together, so they can be packed in a bag more easily.  I paint 'em flat black.

Works like a charm.

IMO, home-made stuff can often be a lot more useful than store-bought stuff because you can tailor something you make to suit your own particular needs.  Image

Return to “Accessories”