Trombone, voice and piano

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey!
I recently received a scholarship and is now supposed to play something for the people giving me the scholarship. They also want me to play something together with a girl who also received it. She sings (Soprano) and plays the piano. Do you have some idea of what to play with her? I was maybe thinking of Richard Strauss Alphorn? More ideas are very welcome!  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I played a big band arrangement of "Almost like Being in Love" that had a nice trombone solo in between vocal parts.  Maybe you can find a version of that with piano.

Also, in Will Kimball's collection of pre-1800 trombone solos there are a number where there is a vocal soloist and trombone soloist.  Don't know if any of them are soprano, though.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Lots of stuff for voice and trombone on Warwick music's site.....some nidce Mozart for Alto bone & voice too!
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

I remember playing in a performance of a short piece for voice, trombone and keyboard by the Baroque composer Andreas Hammerschmidt when I was at university. Quite nice as I recall. The voice on that occasion was a counter-tenor and the keyboard a harpsichord (and the trombone a narrow-bore G bass pretending to be a sackbutt), but I daresay it could be adjusted quite easily.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I thought already there should be some baroque or early classic stuff for that combination....
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Countless pieces baroque pieces for voice and trombone. The hard part might be to find editions with a piano part. A few that I can think of on the top of my mind :

Emperor Joseph I - Alme ingrate
Caldara - Dovunque il guardo giro
Ziani - Quel sembiante
Fux - Alma redemptoris

There are certainly other pieces by those composers, plus others. Pieces for tenor voice and trombone could be usable as well, sung up an octave.

Or simply choose a nice operatic duo for a soprano and a male voice, and play the tenor or baritone part on trombone.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

If it doesn't have to be authentic, I find that Schubert's "Der Hirt auf dem Felsen" works very well with trombone and voice (except for the last Allegretto section maybe, where it gets very challenging). Originally for clarinet and voice; the clarinet part is in Bb, so you can easily read it in tenor clef (add two flats).

http://imslp.org/wiki/Der_Hirt_auf_dem_Felsen,_D.965_(Schubert,_Franz)
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

If it doesn't have to be authentic, I find that Schubert's "Der Hirt auf dem Felsen" works very well with trombone and voice (except for the last Allegretto section maybe, where it gets very challenging). Originally for clarinet and voice; the clarinet part is in Bb, so you can easily read it in tenor clef (add two flats).

http://imslp.org/wiki/Der_Hirt_auf_dem_Felsen,_D.965_(Schubert,_Franz)

Return to “Performance”