Where do you play high D?

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Image Image

1st seems awfully flat - flat enough to consistently crack. 4th a better choice?
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Do you tune the B flat (1st position) on completely closed handslide?
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Ellrod on Apr 16, 2017, 02:06PM Image Image

1st seems awfully flat - flat enough to consistently crack. 4th a better choice?

b2nd, same for the F.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I think of it as sharp 3rd.  But I have several D's in a show I'm doing now and I find myself playing them in 1st.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Apr 16, 2017, 03:14PMI think of it as sharp 3rd. 

Same here. I don't have any fancy modern horns with good high Ds.

I also play it with 2nd valve on euphonium.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Apr 16, 2017, 03:14PMI think of it as sharp 3rd.  But I have several D's in a show I'm doing now and I find myself playing them in 1st.

Me too. My equipment (891Z with Al Kay signature (11C variant)) is fairly comfortable in either position.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Apr 16, 2017, 03:14PMI think of it as sharp 3rd.  But I have several D's in a show I'm doing now and I find myself playing them in 1st.

Yup it's technically a sharp 3rd because D is the 11th harmonic of Ab, not A, but given that the 11th harmonic is virtually a quarter tone flat, it's pretty much exactly in the middle.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Usually 1st, and I push my tuning slide all the way in, so my 1st is out some.  I also used sharp 3rd sometimes, though less commonly these days.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I almost always play it in 1st and have no intonation issues.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

On my 2B, it's playable-ish with some lipping, but i tune 1st out quite a bit. D is right on the bumpers and I have to lip up to get it. It locks in better in ##3rd, but I have a harder time getting it in that partial (i've never had much of a high range.)

On my Truitt 2B+, it lines up pretty well, it's just such a dark horn I have no idea how loud it is when I'm playing with louder groups. It's much easier to play in that range on the Truitt horn, the tuning is "on rails" with that horn. Some mojo he put on the tuning slide or in the crook? I'm not sure...

On the Shires large bore, the notes need so little adjustment that the D is pretty much right where you'd want it to be. The first horn I could consistently hit a high D on was a shires.

On the Williams, the adjustments up high are very similar to the shires - D in first is really no problem.
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Apr 16, 2017, 04:15PMI also play it with 2nd valve on euphonium.

Same.

Almost always 1st on my 3B - it's a great note there.
Almost always #3rd on my bass - 1st is pretty much useless (thankfully I don't have to play too many of those on bass).
Interchangeable on my large bore - they're both about equal.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

I tune my horns so that 4th partial Bb is in tune quite a bit off of the bumpers,thus making...theoretically... 10th partial D tunable by pulling it in.

But I still generally prefer it in #3rd/11th partial.

Why?

Among other reasons, because it often resolves up to Eb and Eb in 11th partial/#2nd is by far the most reliable high Eb on every horn I've ever played.

S.
ttf_ALT

Post by ttf_ALT »

Quote from: sabutin on Apr 16, 2017, 06:50PMI tune my horns so that 4th partial Bb is in tune quite a bit off of the bumpers,

Out of curiosity, how far is "quite a bit" for you?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

First. Someone back me up on this or correct me if I'm wrong - but on Edwards horns the D partial an octave below that is actually sharp, not flat, and this allows for me to play an in tune high D in first.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: FlamingRain on Apr 16, 2017, 09:23PMFirst. Someone back me up on this or correct me if I'm wrong - but on Edwards horns the D partial an octave below that is actually sharp, not flat, and this allows for me to play an in tune high D in first.

So it is on my conn 60h too. If on a lucky day I hit that high D , I have it in first. Now I want to try that other options. Didn't know about it before.

Leif
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I find those post/questions very informative. For a novice regarding the slide technique I find it fascinating how many ways to play a given note depending on the instument you may have.

Till now I was doing it on 1st. Keep that info coming. I'll give it a try.
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: Le.Tromboniste on Apr 16, 2017, 04:55PMYup it's technically a sharp 3rd because D is the 11th harmonic of Ab, not A, but given that the 11th harmonic is virtually a quarter tone flat, it's pretty much exactly in the middle.

That´s right. In Europe it´s flat 2nd in USA sharp 3rd, the same thing really. If you do messure it is a tad closer to 2nd, does not matter, it is in the middle.
(Like low Eb on a attachment is known as flat 3rd or sharp 4th. Closer to open 3rd though, one reason for students (and som pro) to play it sharp.)

On some horns the D is good on first, some horns better on b2 (#3) some on 4, and some horns not at all.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: sabutin on Apr 16, 2017, 06:50PM

.....and Eb in 11th partial/#2nd is by far the most reliable high Eb on every horn I've ever played.

S.

+1
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: ALT on Apr 16, 2017, 06:57PMOut of curiosity, how far is "quite a bit" for you?

I use my right thumb as a sort of bumper. About 1/2".

S.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I found an additional position somewhere between 4 and 5th...still 1st seems to be most secure for me.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I usually play in in my practice room.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

...and there's a high E in 4th(ish). A good exercise is (in 4th) C Eb E C Eb E etc as straight 8's or triplets.
ttf_Dombat

Post by ttf_Dombat »

On stage, in the pit, drunk at colleagues' birthday parties, in the warm up room, at home... everywhere.

Honestly, when I have to play a lone D I will usually play it in 1. If I have to temper it to the high side or it sits in a line that needs it, somewhere else.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I seem to recall that Shires makes his slides so the D just above the staff is sharp so the high D can be played in first.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

2nd position with the trigger.
ttf_JP

Post by ttf_JP »

Quote from: paulyg on Apr 18, 2017, 01:50PM2nd position with the trigger.
ditto. #3 works for me as well
ttf_JP

Post by ttf_JP »

Quote from: paulyg on Apr 18, 2017, 01:50PM2nd position with the trigger.
ditto. #3 works for me as well

Return to “Practice Room”