Billy Robinson

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Leanit

Billy Robinson

Post by Leanit »

I haven't seen it posted in the forums, so I'll let everybody know that SF Bay Area trombone legend and teacher, Billy Robinson, passed away last week. Went to bed and passed away peacefully.

If you knew Billy and his love of music, teaching, and eclectic brass instruments, you know what a magical person he was. Founded the Bay Bones, could play beautifully on any horn. I bet many of us owe a lot to him. Slide on, brother Billy.
Doug Elliott

Re: Billy Robinson

Post by Doug Elliott »

Very sorry to hear that. I saw him at every ITF until the last few years.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I was fortunate to play with him once or twice at a summer workshop. He was helpful to the younger members of the group, and professional with everyone else. A really nice guy.

Noah has a couple of his horns for sale at the Brass Ark.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

Billy was a great friend of mine in the 1970’s. We played together many times. Bright eyes big smile. Loved music. I played solo gigs,at his request with his big band. His mission was music and young musicians. One of the most special.
jfdicurt

Post by jfdicurt »

Oh man this is sad to hear. All through the 80s and 90s Billy used to come to Vegas for the annual 76 + 4 trombones benefits we used to do and he would bring a bunch of great guys from the Bay area. He will be missed!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tanstaafl49 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:37 am I intended to take a minute to value Billy Robinson that is still going solid nevertheless these years. His ability as well as devotion have actually left a long-term mark on the songs market. Also currently his efficiencies are vibrant plus packed with enthusiasm, showcasing his amazing ability. It's motivating to see exactly how he remains to form plus affect artists worldwide. Exist any kind of various other Billy Robinson followers below? I would certainly enjoy to hear your ideas plus experiences!
AI?
Troll?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Yes, gone now.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Posaunus wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:03 pm
tanstaafl49 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:37 am I intended to take a minute to value Billy Robinson that is still going solid nevertheless these years. His ability as well as devotion have actually left a long-term mark on the songs market. Also currently his efficiencies are vibrant plus packed with enthusiasm, showcasing his amazing ability. It's motivating to see exactly how he remains to form plus affect artists worldwide. Exist any kind of various other Billy Robinson followers below? I would certainly enjoy to hear your ideas plus experiences!
AI?
Troll?
Pretty obvious from the username:TANSTAFFL is an acronym [edited to add: for There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch] popularized by Robert Heinlien (sci-fi author) in The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, in which a central character, "Mike," is a computer that has achieved self-awareness.
Doug Elliott wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:12 am Yes, gone now.
I presume that means the "user" has been banned?

Return to “Musicians”