Effect pedals

zentrombonist

Effect pedals

Post by zentrombonist »

Hello all,

Just starting to get into effect pedals and wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations… thanks
JLivi

Re: Effect pedals

Post by JLivi »

Effects pedals can be a slippery slope, but a fun one indeed! And can get expensive.

I feel like I'm overly cautious with power and making sure my levels are correct, whereas a lot of folks I've seen just plug in and play. I use a Voco Loco to help bring my mic level up to line level. That allows from my trombone signal to be equivalent to a guitar. If you just use a XLR>1/4" converter you could run into some issues with not having enough power and won't be able to diagnose the problem.

Another thing I like about the voco loco is that it has a mixer built in for you to adjust different levels and even EQ.

Here's my route
Microphone > Voco Loco > Pedals > Voco Loco (patch cable) > PA

I personally like single pedals, but a good introduction could be a multi-effects pedal. This way you can mess around with a lot of different sounds at once with one unit.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
zentrombonist

Post by zentrombonist »

Thank you so much
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Problem with horns and effects is so much sound comes out your bell. If you are not in a big and loud venue you need to play softly and get your sound from your effects and amplifier. I would recommend using a bass amplifier and bass effects. You would need a big amp or PA in a large venue and that will cost. If all you wanted was to proof the sound in your practice room pick up a used bass practice amp and a multi-effects pedal. Obviously you'll need a mic to get your sound from horn to fx and amp.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4

Return to “Accessories”