Wedge rim on another cup

musicofnote

Wedge rim on another cup

Post by musicofnote »

Hello any and all

Does anyone have any experience putting a Wedge rim onto another cup? After a LOT of experimenting, I've settled on a 97.7% mouthpiece - the Wedge 110g Gen 2 .300" throat. Does what I want, gets a big sound without feeling huge, and with a Wedge Sound Booster, the slots are just like I like them and yet legato articulations and staccato are excellent.

But then I pick up my Greg Black 1.5G heavy and while I hate the objective feel of the mouthpiece (metal on flesh), I do like the sound/subjective feel (how it feels to play, not how it feels on the flesh) that 2.3% that's "missing" from the Wedge.

Has anyone tried a Wedge screw rim on a "normal" underpart? Good, bad ugly of that combo?

Thanks in advance
Mostly:
Shires Q36GR with a Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat) ... or ...
Griego Markey 82 or 85

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
Matt K
Verified

Re: Wedge rim on another cup

Post by Matt K »

I didn’t like them personally but he did at least used to sell screw rims that could be threaded onto another brass internet underpart. I had a delrin one
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

I use a Wedge XT104 rim on my Doug Elliott underparts. I get a bigger sound with more core and better range and endurance with the Wedge shaped rim. I'm not sure why he no longer sells them, but I really think there is something to the Wedge design.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I think I have a Delrin 104 kicking around that I’d be interested in selling. Fits DE LT cups. Make me an offer.
Last edited by Bach5G on Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Do you actually like the "wedge" feel or are you just wanting "not metal"? Just occurred to me you only described not liking metal and Greg sells brass underparts with delrin rims too. You can also thread and put another non-metal rim on pretty easily.

Wedge also sells a hybrid piece with metal underpart and... ceramic(?) rim I think? I don't know if he advertises it on the trombone side, but IIRC he does on trumpet and just hasn't made them for trombone yet but probably would design them as he gets orders.
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

I LOVE the Wedge flesh-to-metal feel. If you understood, that I don't like the Wedge "flesh-to-metal", then I didn't formulate it properly. I only have Wedge metal mouthpieces, no hybrids, no acrylic one. Just metal. I love the feel of my Wedge 108g Gen 2 metal rim and the Wedge 110g Gen 2 metal rim. And I hate the Greg Black rim which is also metal but not the Wedge system.

Dr. Dave, owner of Wedge doesn't make just rims anymore. Already asked. Because I have two of each of the Wedge mouthpieces, I can sacrifice the ones with the smaller throat to the experiment. The idea would be to have someone make from the Wedge 110 a screw-rim and from the Greg Black 1.5G heavy a screw-cup to fit together. So getting hybrid wouldn't acheive what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to play the GB with a Wedge metal screw rim.

And the 104 is of no help - waaay to small. Ok for tenor a suppose, but the 110 is for bass.
Mostly:
Griego Markey 82 or 85

Very seldom:

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I use a Wedge rim on a DE LT G. I like the Wedge for "long term" comfort, slotting and endurance (on those long BQ or band gigs), plus the tone seems a bit richer somehow. I feel I don't miss out by not having an entire Wedge mouthpiece.

The unique rim was his original business concept anyway! Sorry to hear he stopped doing rims only - I was sure that would stay a big seller since his mouthpieces are so expensive.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

My first Wedge was a modified Bach 6 1/2 AL. At that time, Dr. Dave only manufactured trumpet mouthpieces from scratch. It played wonderfully. I now use a Gen 1 5GS, by the way.
Onward and Upward
GGJazz

Post by GGJazz »

Hello all .
Hello Musicofnote .

I am playing on Wedge mpcs exclusively , from 2011 . To me , Wedge is THE mouthpiece !

I think that probably the Wedge 110 rim ' ID and the GB 1,5 cup /underpart' ID does not match 100% , so you will have to adapt one to the other , doing some modifications ( for make a perfect screw-rim/cup system ) that will change the original design of the mpcs' inner geometry . This thing can result in a unbalanced piece , in my opinion .

To me , may be better ask to Dr. Dave if he can modify the rim of your GB 1,5 , as it is shown in this video :

Regards
Giancarlo
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I have a Wedge Delrin rim that I bought on TC that is fitted [somewhat imperfectly] on a DE "L" cup with an L8K shank. I absolutely LOVE the feel of Delrin and have several all-Delrin Wedge mouthpieces. It is an extremely comfortable material. The most recent combination of a Delrin rim on a brass cup was when Dr. Dave agreed to make that setup for a MadPipe [which I also acquired on TC]. There is no question in my mind that my endurance was improved when switching to the Wedge concept and that Delrin is just the icing on the cake !
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

musicofnote wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:48 am I LOVE the Wedge flesh-to-metal feel. If you understood, that I don't like the Wedge "flesh-to-metal", then I didn't formulate it properly. I only have Wedge metal mouthpieces, no hybrids, no acrylic one. Just metal. I love the feel of my Wedge 108g Gen 2 metal rim and the Wedge 110g Gen 2 metal rim. And I hate the Greg Black rim which is also metal but not the Wedge system.

Dr. Dave, owner of Wedge doesn't make just rims anymore. Already asked. Because I have two of each of the Wedge mouthpieces, I can sacrifice the ones with the smaller throat to the experiment. The idea would be to have someone make from the Wedge 110 a screw-rim and from the Greg Black 1.5G heavy a screw-cup to fit together. So getting hybrid wouldn't acheive what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to play the GB with a Wedge metal screw rim.

And the 104 is of no help - waaay to small. Ok for tenor a suppose, but the 110 is for bass.
I see; yes, that shouldn't be too big a lift. It would either be two threadings or possibly one if you were able to get a GB already with the screw rim. Greg himself might do the work, I hear he's been much more responsive about custom work of late.

GGJazz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:43 pm To me , may be better ask to Dr. Dave if he can modify the rim of your GB 1,5 , as it is shown in this video :

Alas, it seems he stopped doing the conversions awhile ago or else this would be the way to go it sees.
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

I would ask Greg if he would do this but I'm probably not in his good books. I'd ordered a 1.5g heavy from him and after waiting 4 months, canceled the order. Then ran into someone selling one used so ... I'm sure I'm in his books somewhere as having canceled and therefore not a reliable customer. Well, as a trumpet player, and living in the Basel, Switzerland area, I used to get Rainer Egger to do screw rim trumpet mouthpiece systems. Since switching to bass trombone, I've run into Rainer now and again whilst subbing in some group he was also playing in. Maybe his shop can do it. Would save a mint on postage and duty charges, to be made up with shop labor costs. (grin)
Mostly:
Griego Markey 82 or 85

Very seldom:

Return to “Mouthpieces”