Hello from Durham NC

Spin your yarns here.
NotSoTrickyNotSam

Hello from Durham NC

Post by NotSoTrickyNotSam »

Hi there. I’m Robert Zimmerman, from Durham, NC, signing on here because I’m hoping against hope that a guy can finally conquer the trombone in his 60s. Here’s a quick history…

I started on baritone horn in 7th grade band and played that through high school. A couple years later I took up trombone, as well, so I could play in the jazz band. Kind of hacked away at jazz through college, with lots of enthusiasm but not much focus or training. Graduated with a degree in physics but little interest in being a physicist, so I followed my girlfriend to Seattle and started taking lessons with Stuart Dempster. Also picked up the 3B I still play for $300, used.

Couple of years later I got into CalArts, where I was one of only about a dozen students in the jazz program—the least capable by a long shot—but I was also 1/2 of the brass section (the other half being a trumpet player who is namechecked on a familiar line of brass mutes). So I worked my butt off, with excellent guidance from Miles Anderson, and got better fast.

After three years at CalArts I was a credible if not great jazz trombonist, then I went to Chicago and had six years of real-world experience, playing for tips through a cloud of cigarette smoke and such, but my focus gradually shifted to composition and I set the trombone aside in the mid 90s.

I picked the horn back up 6 or 8 years ago and then in the past couple of years I’ve gotten pretty serious about it. Which means I’m back to struggling with sluggish articulation, poor flexibility and limited endurance, just like back in the day. Figured it might be a good time to get in touch with some other trombonists.
BGuttman

Re: Hello from Durham NC

Post by BGuttman »

Moved out of News and Announcements since that board is intended for updates related to the operation of Trombone Chat.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
slideandtraps

Re: Hello from Durham NC

Post by slideandtraps »

Hi Robert,

It's nice to read your post. I was at CalArts film school in the 80s and am in that line of work.
"Hello from Phoenix AZ" shares interests. Can PM when it's available.

Dennis

Return to “Tangents”