1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Tbarh

Re: 1970s Bach Strad Model 50 bass trombone

Post by Tbarh »

If the wrap itself is so much less important than the Valves itself, Why does not makers wrap more tubing towards the neckpipeside of the bell section... This would mean most of the weight would be carried by the spine rather than the left shoulder..? I guess that this would do wonders for not only Your body but would improve ease of execution Too...
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

Tbarh wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:06 am If the wrap itself is so much less important than the Valves itself, Why does not makers wrap more tubing towards the neckpipeside of the bell section...
That side is where your head and neck are, isn't it? The D tube on my TR-180 already touches against my head when I play. There isn't room for any more tubing (at least for me).

Back to the original topic, I still have a Bach 50B2 that I bought new in 1974 and took to college in 1975. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about open wrap horns in those days. I think they came later.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

dbwhitaker wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:02 pm
Tbarh wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:06 am If the wrap itself is so much less important than the Valves itself, Why does not makers wrap more tubing towards the neckpipeside of the bell section...
That side is where your head and neck are, isn't it? The D tube on my TR-180 already touches against my head when I play. There isn't room for any more tubing (at least for me).

Back to the original topic, I still have a Bach 50B2 that I bought new in 1974 and took to college in 1975. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about open wrap horns in those days. I think they came later.
Many ways to achieve what i am taking about... If the wrap itself is narrower it will stick out more at the back.. Usually this is argued as a problem because of tight spaces etc.. I had none of this problems when i used this kind of a horn... The more tubing and weight at the back Will make the horn balance better in outer position...
Alandsue

Post by Alandsue »

I am an amateur bass trombonist playing in a community jazz orchestra. Back in High School and some college, I originally played my tenor trombone, a 1974 Conn 88h, before stopping for a number of years. I picked it up again when my daughters were old enough to learn and taught them until they were old enough for private lessons. My oldest daughter got me back into playing after I retired in this jazz orchestra. I started playing bass using a 1 1/2G mouthpiece on my 88H until I "inherited" the 1967 Conn 72H from my brother and have been playing on that ever since.
I have now been playing in this jazz orchestra for the last 10 years or so and wanted to expand my bass trombone playing with a double trigger. An old friend had a "1970s" dependent double valve (Bb/G/D) Bach Stradivarius Model 50 that he lent to me to try. I am looking to learn how to effectively utilize the 2nd valve. But mainly I am looking to find when this trombone was manufactured and the exact model. Everything I see on the internet is Model 50 xx. The model I have does not have any additional numbers or letters after the 50 (on the bell) and the serial number on the slide puts it in a gray area of where there are no designations from 1970 to 1975 (s.n. 12xxx). Is there a way to determine the exact model I have, what year it was manufactured and what the instrument is worth?
Thank you.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You will probably have to make do with the 5 year approximations from serial number lists since the manufacture records are probably unobtainable.

Bach made two "classes" of double trigger bass trombones: dependent (first valve must be pressed to allow 2nd valve to work), and independent (either valve can be used separately). Bach calls the dependent model 50B2 and the independent model 50B3.

There are multiple tunings available for each model. The first valve is generally in F, while the second valve (if played alone) is commonly a half step (generally dependent only), G, or Gb. There was also a second valve tuning slide in C (not common). Thus, the most common combined valve tones are flat E, Eb, and D. There were no model differences for the different tunings as these required only a change in the 2nd valve tuning slide.

On a dependent system the 2nd valve is most useful for getting Db, C, and B natural in positions almost near 3rd for Db, around 4th for C, and between 5th and 6th for B natural (I'm referring to Bb positions here).

I'm going to duck your question about value since we have people here who know much more than I do.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Alandsue

Post by Alandsue »

Thank you as that answers some important questions. So, even though not labeled as such, I have the 50B2. That gives me something to research on. Thank you for the position location's as well. My original intent was to make the low B natural more convenient to hit but I am starting to learn the additional functionalities of the 2nd trigger.
Thanks again,
Alan.
Alandsue

Post by Alandsue »

Again, any further input on the value range of this early 70s Bach 50B2 (S.N.12,731)? The second valve has been reconfigured to be operated from the pinky & ring finger. That valve is a bit sluggish as well as the slide which seems like it just needs a good cleaning but overall in quite good condition.
Also a value range on the dreaded Abiline TX years of the Conn 88H closed wrap trombone? I might sell my 1977 88H, which is in pretty good condition, to purchase the 50B2.
Last edited by Alandsue on Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Alandsue wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:03 am Again, any further input on the value range of this early 70s Bach 50B2 (S.N.12,731)? The second valve has been reconfigured to be operated from the pinky & ring finger.
That is probably 1972 instrument. My 36B is a 1972 with a 13,4xx serial number.

It almost surely started life as a 50B2 tuned to Bb/F/Eb. The valves were actuated by the left thumb, and had rollers (like sax keywork) to help the player slide from the single F valve to Eb with both valves. There was some custom work done to change the second valve to D and to split the trigger so the second valve is actuated by the fingers of the left hand. (The pinky and ring fingers are a bizarre choice--they share a ligament and are really more useful in supporting the instrument. Harpists and guitarists never pluck strings with their pinky.)

Return to “Instruments”