Car Jump Starter batteries/kits

AndrewMeronek

Car Jump Starter batteries/kits

Post by AndrewMeronek »

20240512_125942.jpg
There's a good argument to add one of these to most musicians' tool boxes - those who need to use a POV to get to and from gigs on a regular basis. The ability to quickly recover from a dead battery can be pretty valuable, as I found out yesterday. Fortunately, one of the other musicians was around and had one of these (the NOCO GB40 on the left), which meant we didn't even have to figure out how to use traditional jumper cables with our weird hybrid and electric vehicles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Kdanielsen

Re: Car Jump Starter batteries/kits

Post by Kdanielsen »

I agree. I have one because, somewhat ironically, my plug in prius prime battery dies all the time. It’s super handy.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I carry jumper cables, 2 guage. And drive a stick shift so I can clutch start if necessary.

Also for changing tires - a floor jack, a long breaker bar, impact wrench, foot tire pump, lights, and now a tire plug kit which I had to buy recently when I got a flat on I-95 at midnight in the rain and my spare was flat too. Fortunately I was right near an exit with a truck stop where I bought the plug kit, and it worked.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Yup.

When my previous car was behaving very strangely (it turned out to need an alternator, which I decided not to do and traded in for a newer car instead) I was very glad to have a fully charged jump starter in my trunk.

Doug, remind me next time I see you to tell you about the time I tried to drive across the country in a VW bus that needed to be clutch started every time. That was the least of its problems.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Kdanielsen wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:37 pm I agree. I have one because, somewhat ironically, my plug in prius prime battery dies all the time. It’s super handy.
The *low voltage battery *. They died from some stupid sympathetic loss after key off, like a bad radio or something. On hybrids and EVs, all they need the LV battery for is to wake up (close contractors) on the HV battery.

Had a Cmax that did the same thing, kept a little “type S” jump kit in the glove box. Made life a lot better.

Cheers,
Andy
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:58 pm I carry jumper cables, 2 guage. And drive a stick shift so I can clutch start if necessary.

Also for changing tires - a floor jack, a long breaker bar, impact wrench, foot tire pump, lights, and now a tire plug kit which I had to buy recently when I got a flat on I-95 at midnight in the rain and my spare was flat too. Fortunately I was right near an exit with a truck stop where I bought the plug kit, and it worked.
I keep a Ryobi tire inflator in my trunk. Never thought to toss my tire repair kit in there too!
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Clutch start. Yup.

Had a 1985 VW Jetta. Had a bad flywheel and on warranty they replaced the starter several times. They ran out of starters. Drove that for several weeks without a starter. I would park at the high spot in parking decks. I think I knew every hill to park on in the metro Detroit area.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I keep a small one in the truck at the moment- ULTRA handy for jump starting, way easier than trying to get another car around the front. Just had to use it several times on the '00 Accord... put a new battery in that and won't have to worry about jumping for a while.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

https://shop.dynaplug.com/products/dynaplug®-pro-xtreme

The best plugger I have found. Last fall in Manhattan Beach found some staples in my tire--13 leetle tiny punctures. This took care of it, though I had to order more plugs! The car made it back to Boston. I have an inflator in the boot, too.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

elmsandr wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:39 pm
Kdanielsen wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:37 pm I agree. I have one because, somewhat ironically, my plug in prius prime battery dies all the time. It’s super handy.
The *low voltage battery *. They died from some stupid sympathetic loss after key off, like a bad radio or something. On hybrids and EVs, all they need the LV battery for is to wake up (close contractors) on the HV battery.

Had a Cmax that did the same thing, kept a little “type S” jump kit in the glove box. Made life a lot better.

Cheers,
Andy
Mine usually dies because the headlights stay on as long as you sit in the car (with it off). Its very annoying.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Doug’s post has “lights.” Don’t forget the flash light. It is a catalyst. Out on I-35 in the dark I could not see my hand in front of my face.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

These are a great deal if you can find them. USB-C recharge. 4 light levels, but beware - the brightest runs the battery down very fast.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1200- ... /325178798
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

👍
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Technology”