Getzen 4047ET

arich621

Getzen 4047ET

Post by arich621 »

Anyone try one of these recently, perhaps at ATW, and have any thoughts to share? Seems like they must’ve developed quite a good horn with Enzo if it’s already drawing endorsements from other top players/teachers. Hoping to try one out this summer but just curious for people’s thoughts so far!
Danitrb

Re: Getzen 4047ET

Post by Danitrb »

One of the best instruments ever tried.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It was hands down the best horn at the Edwards booth for me. It had a very easy blow, and was easy to color. Softs we’re dark and loud blossomed quite well. The harmonic pillars were noticeable. Would be really cool to have the full harmonic pillar but even the smaller one was noticeable.
arich621

Post by arich621 »

Nice!! Nothing but positive stuff so far. There’s a decent bit of 4147IB’s in the US but not a ton used by pros, I wonder if this one will make more of a splash and fit the style of US orchestral playing better.
Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

arich621 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:54 pm Nice!! Nothing but positive stuff so far. There’s a decent bit of 4147IB’s in the US but not a ton used by pros, I wonder if this one will make more of a splash and fit the style of US orchestral playing better.
There are pretty much differences between these models. The choice is personal.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I play a 4047DS but I changed out the slide to a T396 ones because the leadpipe felt too tight for me as a bass player. I can’t wait to try this out. And if I like it, I could always try a new leadpipe on this model.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The ET stock pipe is apparently a rather short, sterling pipe. I wonder the degree to which that influences the feel.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Matt K wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:23 pm The ET stock pipe is apparently a rather short, sterling pipe. I wonder the degree to which that influences the feel.
So is the 396 AR pipe. Interesting!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Briande

Post by Briande »

New interview with Enzo Turriziani about the Getzen 4047ET.

I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H. Conn 10H.
schuedoc

Post by schuedoc »

Just picked one up this past weekend. Can't say enough positive things about it.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I upgraded my DS to the features on the ET. New dome insert and seamed tuning slide. Made what I thought was a perfect tenor to an even better one. But I still use the 396 slide. I tried with an ET slide and boy did it help my high range. If I played more orchestral first trombone or solo works that is what I use. My tenor playing is either second bone or chamber music that my blend is just right .
Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

How shorts are the leadpipe of 4047 ET and T396 AR compare to standard brass leadpipe?
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

The ET leadpipe is the same as the old long Alessi t2 (sterling silver). The AR pipe is shorter than standard.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Lecturer of Low Brass

Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

Kdanielsen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 pm The ET leadpipe is the same as the old long Alessi t2 (sterling silver). The AR pipe is shorter than standard.
Thank you! Has short leadpipe any advantage?
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Danitrb wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:55 pm
Kdanielsen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 pm The ET leadpipe is the same as the old long Alessi t2 (sterling silver). The AR pipe is shorter than standard.
Thank you! Has short leadpipe any advantage?
For me, the shorter pipes are more flexible and the slot is bigger but less focused. I prefer longer pipes with a really well defined slot. Everyone responds differently. The next person who responds might say the opposite.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Lecturer of Low Brass

muschem

Post by muschem »

I measure the AR pipe at right around 7.75" long. If the ET is the same as the T2 Artist (old Alessi), then that would be closer to 9.5". The AR pipe is among the shortest I own. Comparing my .547 pipes, the 1919 8H pipe made by Brad Close is almost identical in length. Also of similar length: Brad Close's 78H "Classic" and 32H "Burkle" pipes.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

Thank you! What difference you feel beetwen these two leadpipe?
muschem

Post by muschem »

Danitrb wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:43 am Thank you! What difference you feel beetwen these two leadpipe?
My experience comparing short vs long leadpipes generally aligns with Dr. Danielsen's description above. The longer pipes tend to have more stability and a stronger slot - sometimes I feel this as added resistance compared to the same design at a shorter length. Shorter pipes in comparison tend to be less stable but more flexible - I feel them as more "open" or having less resistance compared to the same design at a longer length. That said, I find these tendencies exist on a spectrum, and there are many variables at play apart from length - venturi size and placement, the rate of taper, material, threaded collar vs. pull ring vs. soldered in, and so on. Play two of the "same" pipes back to back, and you may very well find they feel fairly different. So, having just made some generalizations, I guess I'd say that you should take general descriptions with a grain of salt ;)

I haven't played the T2 Artist model, so I can't offer any comparative thoughts for that one. I was considering buying one second hand at one point, so I reached out to Edwards for more information, which is how I ended up with length specs. But, the AR pipe is a good one if you tend to prefer more flexibility and less resistance. After spending some time on mine, it feels a touch too open for my playing. But, ymmv.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

Yes, you are right. It is personal, but also it is correlate to the rest of the instrument, bell ,tuning slide , valve and mouthpiece, I think. For sure it should be all balance thing.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

The T2 Alessi #2 leadpipe is also shorter than the standard Edwards sterling pipes, but probably longer than the new T396 pipe (I haven't checked them against each other). The original Edwards sterling pipes in the standard #1, 2 & 3 were noticeably longer than the brass pipes. Then there were Kitzman and Alessi versions of the #2 sterling introduced that were both shorter than the standard sterling pipes (the Alessi was the shortest). Those pipes were closer to the length of the standard brass pipes. There are probably some more versions that haven't made it on to the website.

Jim Scott

Return to “Instruments”