Conn 88H Rose Brass vs. Silver

Jaymesbrock

Conn 88H Rose Brass vs. Silver

Post by Jaymesbrock »

I currently play on a rose brass bell. I may have the opportunity to buy a Silver 88H. I am interested in opinions/knowledge from those who have experience with both.

Difference in sound, best use, resonance, preference, etc.

Thank you in advance.
Burgerbob

Re: Conn 88H Rose Brass vs. Silver

Post by Burgerbob »

a sterling silver bell? Or just silver plated?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:25 pm a sterling silver bell? Or just silver plated?
I would assume this makes a huge difference!
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Tag-und Nacht.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Jaymesbrock

Post by Jaymesbrock »

I haven't been able to inspect it yet, but I am assuming it is silver plated. If so, I am thinking it is more of a visual difference than sound related, but I defer to those with more knowledge.

My apologies as I just realized I posted my question under the classifieds.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

So you won’t think that you’re being ignored:

Melody Music in Bloomington, IN has a sterling 88HSO brand new that you can try before you buy. Morgan Music, Lebanon, MO has a used silver plate 88H for sale that you could try before you buy. Check out reverb.com. Out of the Brass Exchange’s sold archive, 88 88Hs were sold out of which 1 was sterling. That is 1%. The silver plate may reflect a slightly different sound back to you and might be brighter. Sterling is likely to be heavier, more focused, and will not break up at high sound dynamics. You may find someone who has one and loves it out there. Maybe you will, too. I tend to think that there are reasons why the rose brass bell 88h dominates the market. Mike Innes mentions the sterling bell on YouTube at Dawkes music. Some of the reasons you don’t see many of them are, they’re heavier, they’re more expensive, and why do I need something to play louder when we’re so often being told that we’re too loud as it is. On the other hand, either one might be just the thing to play Maria in West Side Story, Mahler, or Berlioz . . . if you get the call. Good luck.
Last edited by OneTon on Thu May 16, 2024 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Moved to Hardware.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Instruments”