New mouthpiece...

mcphatty00

New mouthpiece...

Post by mcphatty00 »

Anyone else see this? I don't know anything about Breslmair.

mearldanner

Re: New mouthpiece...

Post by mearldanner »

Heard him (Peter Steiner) playing on one in February at Tennessee Tech. He said it was under development. Didn't mention the manufacturer. Really accomplished player. He sounded great. Probably would on a garden hose too. First time I've heard of Breslmair. Trombone pages on their site are all in German. Appears they have rim/cup/shank setups.
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

I'd be interested to try his piece when it comes out. Based on the Breslmair piece I had, the added mass would help
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

Ivan Giddings had one like this that he made himself (before Giddings Mouthpiece) that he used when he was at PSU as a grad student.
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

I use to love buying artists mouthpieces until I figured out that they like want they like because they spent hours practicing and play concerts all the time. I play once or twice a week and play 3-7 concerts a year.

Give me something lightweight and easy to blow with my weak embouchure.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

He sounded superior on the Thein/Willies setup. An extreme mouthpiece like that might be an attempt to strong arm the Bach he plays on now.
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:54 am He sounded superior on the Thein/Willies setup. An extreme mouthpiece like that might be an attempt to strong arm the Bach he plays on now.
Agreed. Bach hasn't put out anything impressive in a long while. Would certainly help if they really worked on the QC
tim

Post by tim »

bassbone1993 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:18 am
harrisonreed wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:54 am He sounded superior on the Thein/Willies setup. An extreme mouthpiece like that might be an attempt to strong arm the Bach he plays on now.
Agreed. Bach hasn't put out anything impressive in a long while. Would certainly help if they really worked on the QC
The Bach I’m playing on is at least 50 years old, the 1 1/4g I had made to fit my 62h in college. I’ve got a big box of mouthpieces but keep coming back to it. Bach wasn’t so much corporate then.
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

tim wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:56 am
bassbone1993 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:18 am

The Bach I’m playing on is at least 50 years old, the 1 1/4g I had made to fit my 62h in college. I’ve got a big box of mouthpieces but keep coming back to it. Bach wasn’t so much corporate then.
That makes sense. I was mostly referring to their trombones, but I've heard good things about their older mouthpieces
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah I was referring to his named Bach trombone. It's night and day from the sound he was getting on the Thein, say, in the Tchaikovsky competition.

He is an incredible musician, and still sounds good on the Bach, but I think I get why you might want some eccentric or extreme mouthpiece like the cylinder on the newer Bachs. Those heavy pieces sometimes let you force the horn to do what you want.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 pm
He is an incredible musician, and still sounds good on the Bach, but I think I get why you might want some eccentric or extreme mouthpiece like the cylinder on the newer Bachs. Those heavy pieces sometimes let you force the horn to do what you want.
Interesting. I’ve never experienced that with additional weight, even a ridiculous amount of added weight when I was playing about 25-30 years ago: 42B with Monette mouthpiece, open leadpipe, Thayer, and heavy bell. I always felt the horn forced me into playing absolutely precisely—narrow but firm slot on each partial moderately difficult to move between partials.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

Update:
hiktro

Post by hiktro »

His horn has been modified; the F Wrap tube is now one piece. The shape of the lever has also been slightly modified. There may be other modifications somewhere else.
I think Bach is not yet up to his requirements.
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

Not to detract too much from the OP's post, but the Courtois Creation Florida model looks to be VERY similar to Peter's trombone, and it has the F wrap tube as one piece. It'll be interesting to compare the specs when more info comes out.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

When I heard Steiner play late last year, I heard a phenomenal player dealing with issues of some sort. When playing softly, his sound became very aspirant, more like wasted air than tone being produced. I don't know if this was an intended result or lack of warm-up prior to his recital later that afternoon, but during the recital it was still much in evidence and happened consistently. I wondered at the time if it was an artifact of playing an anvil for a mouthpiece, and didn't give the odd f-attachment wrap too much thought. He chose not to reveal the mouthpiece maker at that time, only saying it was "under development."

btw, Herr Breslmair has made mouthpieces in Austria for decades. At one time (maybe still) anyone considering an audition for the Wiener Philharmoniker trumpet section should be playing a Lechner instrument with a Breslmair G2 mouthpiece to be seriously considered. This is/was due to their concerns for uniformity and traditional sound. I think things are more relaxed regarding trombones, since the introduction of American instruments.
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

I had a very similar Bach bone (x wrap, yellow uncut bell, 47 slide) and it just didn't play great. I'm curious what his Breslmair specs are going to be. I wish they had as much options for bass as they do for tenor.

Return to “Mouthpieces”